Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I think even the actors don't know who it was

Discussion in 'Episode 616 - Last Day on Earth' started by ZombieAndTeal, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ZombieAndTeal

ZombieAndTeal Member

Whole thing feels like a cop out - not showing us who it was is so studioish and gimmicky, and I bet kirkman, nicotero and all the main players are annoyed that the decision to do a cliffhanger was made. Don't get me wrong - the scene was excellent and played extremely well - but the executive decision itself is lousy, and when the show starts up again in October the momentum will be completely lost, and the wind will have been taken out of the sails of that death scene entirely. But who cares about that right - cliffhangers are fashionable, so let's do it! But how will we police the secrecy of this reveal...only shoot it in first person so that nobody knows who negan chose! Brilliant! I wonder if any one actually knows or whether they just will chose when it suits closer to the time. Quite cross, as you can tell.

2. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

At least the actor who does not get his contract renewed for the next season knows.

3. Billy Pilgrim

Billy Pilgrim Member

I'd be nervous if I was a Rick Grimes love interest. They don't tend to have happy endings.

4. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Disagree. It's kit like Negan didn't kill someone—he did! We just don't know who. I think the complaints would be even more loud had they just showed him about to swing the bat. Nope, one of those eleven is done for, splattered on the ground. You think it would be better if they showed you who? That might be a little hard to take for a really beloved character. This way, you'll see some aftermath next season, but they don't have to show the actual killing as gratuitous violence. I'm fine with the storytelling choices here.

5. Aztecia

Aztecia Member

Chandler Riggs apparently tweeted he doesn't know (but I wouldn't tell a kid either).

I assume even if they did start filming, they might even film death scenes for every single one of them to keep it a secret in case someone got leaky?

6. Grimoire

Grimoire Member

After reading Chandler's tweet (that he doesn't know who died) I thought about that, too.

But: you can't hide that information from the cast if you want them screaming in the background of the scene. (Because if one of them might turn out dead, he can't scream. So you cut that person out of that scene.)

7. ZombieAndTeal

ZombieAndTeal Member

Yep, this is what I suspected too. Keep it a mystery from everyone then there's no chance of a leak because there's nothing TO leak. The only problem with this is all the hype and speculation for the premiere in October might make the actual reveal an anticlimax, doing a disservice to the scene that everyone worked so hard to put together. Shame really.

8. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

You know, I thought the actors didn't know either - especially given Chandler's tweet - but this interview with Andrew Lincoln makes me think otherwise: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the...ck-negan-season-6-finale-spoilers-1201745165/

Specifically this part:

Even now do you or anyone in the cast know who will die?
    Because it’s too painful and too intense, we made a pact on set that we won’t speak about it. I apologize but I can’t talk about it.
    Have you spoken at all with the producers about how the show plans to keep it a secret or have they discussed anything about that with the cast?
    That’s the double edged sword of our show. As a victim of our success, people are very keen to know what happens next. We’ll try our damndest [to keep it secret] because it’s such an important and powerful moment that changes the landscape of “The Walking Dead.” It would be a real shame if it got out.
    It’s an incredibly courageous way to start a season. It’s not a conventional way of opening a new season of our show. Usually it’s an up-and-at-’em call to arms, big episode. This is a brutally damaging, psychological and emotional battering to begin Season 7, which is a huge writing task. It’s an extraordinary call from Scott [Gimple]. I commend him. He made a pact a few years ago to keep scaring us because it’s absolutely the right thing that we should be doing after five years. I’m a bit scared about playing this guy, but that’s a good thing. It means we’re challenging ourselves and pushing ourselves. We’re trying to do something to not repeat the show and I think he’s done that with this way of starting Season 7.

9. Rick's Nose

Rick's Nose Member

What I find interesting is how they will have to keep their characters look, whilst effectively being unemployed and wanting to go for new castings . All the females kind of keep their own look which is different from their characters. Danai can take her wig off. Sonequa and Christian have long hair they mostly have up for their characters but can instantly look different without too much change. Assuming Lauren wanted to cut her hair and they wrote it in as Maggie in the comics had short hair so it worked.

However Josh and Michael have had to change their own looks to play their characters. Looks that would probably hold them back getting other roles. Andy and Norman might be embracing longer hair but both had short hair when they took the roles. I wonder if they would want to keep it long if they had left?

10. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

i wonder if they know or not. gimple or kirkman (can't remember who) said that there were clues to tell who it was that was killed - but i think they might have said that just to get people more intrigued and spark all these convos and rewatches of that episode. i would have liked Norman to say something as far as whether he knew who it was or not while on Talking Dead, but oh well.

11. Gustavo LaPizza

it may be possible that they didn't know at the time the scene was fimed but there is not a chance they don't know NOW that the scene is aired.
    They are professionals, they can't be put in the position of turning down a movie offer because "maybe i have to film the whole new season of the walking dead, but maybe i'm the guy who got killed in the season finale and they will sack me and i'll be unenployed"

12. Chaos

Chaos Member

If that made sense, we could just analyze the audio and figure out whose voice is missing. Which makes little sense since not all of them necessarily would be screaming anyway. Also, it was a muffled audio so they could just have some of them or even voice overs. Trying to discern what happened by screaming is pointless.

13. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

TBH I don't care if they told us now or tell us in October. Nobody will stop watching because they didn't tell us. Nah it's just the moment now people are angry they let us wait people talk about how bad the decision was. Of course they could give us something more.. but they didn't so we have to get over it.

14. Aztecia

Aztecia Member

I wonder if, essentially being written out, <Whoever is Lucilled> will get kept 'on the books' and contracted until the episode airs at the earliest? That way, no risk of them auditioning for other stuff/create a scheduling conflict when they 'should be' in Georgia/do anything that could let the info-hunters get any evidence?

15. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

I mean, I suppose there's the chance we may be kept in the dark anyway because they could always keep the actor/actress on to film flashback scenes or dream/nightmare sequences, the types of things the survivors might endure in the aftermath while trying to cope with the loss.

16. drifter77

drifter77 Member

I think it'll be impossible to keep this a secret. They start filming S7 in a few weeks. 7.01 doesn't air for 6 months. Are they gonna keep that actor on set, in costume, for more than half the filming of the new season? Remember "Thank You", when pictures of Steven Yeun walking with Jesus hit social media hours after that episode aired?

They'll also have to lock down the entire casts' social media accounts. Like Reedus tweets a photo from Hawaii when we all know he's supposed to be filming episode 7 in Georgia, etc.

I think by June, it'll be common knowledge who's missing from the set. And by October it'll be very anticlimactic to see it on screen. "Oh yeah, so-and-so was the one. Yawn."

17. Grimoire

Grimoire Member

Of course that would be wasted time (but I bet there are some hardcore TWD fans who will try it in the next months). But if there are voices you can associate with a character ... why ignore it? I'm not talking about the people who are silent, I'm talking about the people who scream in the background.

18. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

This is what I reckon, they'll probably be on set as well for some of it as well.

19. Rick's Nose

Rick's Nose Member

If we're ever to see that scene again in S7 (And not us learning about the death by a conversation or funeral) do you think the death has been filmed and they're all playing the corporate line so to throw us.

Would they not have filmed it rather than replicate it, given all the extras, the number of key cast members, vehicles.

It feels like a huge scene to try and reconvene. People say JDM has lost weight. Say if he bulks up again, it will make that scene hard to reshoot.

#19 Rick's Nose, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  20. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

I've read that too--that the actors themselves don't know who Negan killed--including Jeffrey Dean Morgan. The idea of the crew filming a death scene featuring every character is a great way to throw off fans. I hope they do that!