Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I think it was a good decision to kill Sophia off

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by lastcat3, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Sophia is one of my favorite characters in the comic and I really look forward to seeing where her storyline goes and it would have been fun to see that character live on in the show and see the relationship build up between her and Carl. However I recently saw the actress that played Sophia do an interview and I think maybe it was for the best that they did kill the character off when they did.

Madison Lintz has grown a whole lot more than Chandler Riggs has. She is about four or five inches taller now than Riggs is and she doesn't have the baby face that Riggs does either. Riggs as a seventeen year old can still pass as a thirteen or fourteen year old (age Carl is on the show I believe). I'm not sure a seventeen year Madison could pass as a thirteen or fourteen year old Sophia.

With Sophia being killed off and them bringing Enid in (likely to take the place of comic Sophia) they were able to bring an actress in that was about the same size as Chandler (Katelyn Nacon is 5'4'' just like Chandler).

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I am astonished at how much Madison Lintz has grown up. She is stunning and looks nothing like Sophia anymore.

3. lastcat3

Yep. She definitely did outgrow her role as Sophia. That may have been the reason why they did decide to kill Sophia off because Madison was beginning to go on quite a growth spurt around that time.

4. _Luna

_Luna New Member

I have heard that's indeed why they killed her off. Even in the barn scene, it's clear Lintz was going through quite a growth spurt; as a walker they were able to use make up to distort her appearance, but you could still tell even then that she looked much older.

5. PepperAnn

You're right. I never thought about that, but looking back in my mind's eye...lol....she was taller and had more adult looking facial features. Jeez and that was just in half a season.

6. lastcat3

Makes you wonder what they would have done with Carl if Chandler had ever gone on a massive growth spurt. Think they would have killed Carl off? It would be a little strange right now say if Carl was six foot tall or more and yet in universe he was only supposed to be about thirteen and living in a world where they likely all have worms if not worse than that.

7. Zombiekaaner

Zombiekaaner Member

It is also why - when they introduced another "long term teenage girl" they cast Emily Kinney who was what 28 playing 16? I forget exactly but she was definitely in her later 20's and already out of college etc. That way they could be sure they wouldn't have any unexpected "blossoming". They could go with Brighton Sharbino for Lizzie cause they knew she wouldn't be around long enough for it to matter, but even she has grown considerably.

8. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

That's interesting (and sad, too), that they would kill off a younger character because of the actor's/actress's growth. I never even thought of it like that.

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems like it wouldn't be good for her career. In Madison's case though, she said she was glad when they killed her off, because she was homesick for her family.

10. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

Was she really? I guess that's understandable, being that she was young and all.

11. Neuropyramidal

Carl is important enough to the plot, that I think they would have mitigated any damage a growth spurt might have done to the continuity by adding longer time jumps. They could have made the time jump's between S2/S3 and S3/S4 each a couple of years if they had wanted, without really changing the plot.

Although I don't think they are paying it much mind. Even as it stands now, Carl looks at least 3 to 4 years older than his character should be. If they were really concerned about this, they could have fixed it with time jumps. I think the growth of actors is just one of those things viewers have to accept. I wouldn't worry about it going forward.

#11 Neuropyramidal, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  12. Neuropyramidal

This discussion reminds me of a conversation I had on TSDF facebook maybe 6 months ago or more. A woman asked in the comments how much time has passed since the outbreak, and I made the mistake of trying to explain the answer on a facebook page. Immediately a poster accused me of being 'stupid' and that 6 years had actually passed. I asked if 6 years have passed, then how is Judith still a baby seeing as she was conceived around the time they were still at the Atlanta Camp, right after the outbreak. She told me that Judith only appears to be a baby because she is severely malnourished. Because that's what happens to a 5 year old when they are malnourished. They become a happy, healthy, pink infant.

13. JHebert

JHebert Member

Well, yeah, didn't you know that? I mean, my 8 year old is totes confused for a toddler all the time. She's super malnourished, but toddler clothes are just so much cheaper. Plus I'm saving so much money at the grocery store, it's insane. (side note for anyone who even tries to take me seriously: I am being unbelievably sarcastic here, both of my kids are in tip top shape, supremely healthy, not a hint of malnourishment or ailments anywhere. Not even a single damn cavity.)

Will say though, the idea of having a rational, logical discussion on Facebook is amusing. There are more coherent discussions here on the forums than there in the comments, and that's including threads about turning the women into breastmilk producing livestock and how dare they slaughter pigs. It's more fun here though. There's gifs.

Back to the actual subject: Madison Lintz is so beautiful. I can't even recognize her are Sophia from the early seasons.

14. lastcat3

I'm guessing that if they had known from the beginning that TWD would be the huge hit it was (and could easily go for ten years or longer) they would have made Carl and Sophia teens to start off with and they could be being played by twenty somethings.

That's what they did with Fear when it started. The kids in the group are highschool and college age and they are being played by actors in their early twenties/

15. PepperAnn

I know it's been 6 seasons, but Chandler Riggs has done his fair share of spurting on his own. lol Hell he's almost as tall as Rick. When I look back at how he looked at the beginning.....wow he's changed.

[​IMG]

16. PepperAnn

LMAO. Classic FB response. I love them over there. They are special kind of special.

17. PepperAnn

100% this. There was an EW cover that had several now dead cast members on the front. There were a couple I had a hard time recognizing because they were just shot weird.....but I could NOT figure out who Madison Lintz was. It took some comments here to finally make the lightbulb go off. I was stunned.

18. shileka

shileka New Member

kids deaths i these kinda shows always give me a double feeling, on one side, it's a dead kid, on the other, they very rarely show kids deaths which kinda feels off, i mean, we saw tons of other characters being torn to pieces, but in pretty much every horror movie/series i see kids either die of screen or not at all

19. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

According to Gale Ann Hurd Sophia was killed off largely because the actress playing her had decided she didn't want to act anymore at that time. Reportedly she's since changed her mind.

20. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

Yes our boy has certainly grown up hasn't he?! But he has to be more than 5'4". I found this picture and it looks pretty recent and he's almost as tall as Glenn, who is listed as 5'9". He definitely is looking more like an older teen than a 14-ish year old.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.