Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I think Jenner shouldn't have given up

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - TS-19' started by Jakobi, Jun 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Anyways, I was just thinking about how Jenner gave up and decided to go down with the CDC. Wouldn't most people's instincts tell them to survive. I don't know, if it was me I would have high tailed it out of there. Of course he was psychologically messed up with his wife and being alone in there for awhile, but he should have tried to make it.

2. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

Some people wouldn't want to stick around to see the end of the world. Particularly if everyone they love is already dead.

3. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

well said, i mean like fatbrett2 said, if i wouldnt have my family and love ones with me, i surely do what jenner did, go down the easiest and less painful way, but having them with me, i'll surely will want to stay alive no matter where or how, and protect them, and in the case of the season finale, would have done the same that our characters, even without a grenade, just bleed my hands out bashing those windows with the axe no matter anything else but somehow getting out

4. daryldixon

daryldixon Member

This. I would've stayed if I was in the CDC building and it was about to blow up.

5. aahe42

aahe42 New Member

Being incinerated instantly would be a more preferable death then being eaten or torn apart, suffering. IMO When the world gets the way it is in the walking dead they are all just living and waiting to die...so realistically i think a lot of people would opt out if the dead were returning to life, even if there is a simple way to kill them, people honestly don't realize its not like it going to go away they have to create a new life, and like dale I wouldn't want to live in that new world.

6. clone

clone Member

When it comes to a possible extinction event like this.
    The fate of the civilization is sometimes determined by a few or one smart person who solves the problem.

Jenner was being a selfish coward. With his knowledge he should have put his personal feelings aside and did what was best for Humanity and left with the group.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Me too! Coward! He was a friggin Coward. He might not have been the scientific "mind" his wife was... but he was what they had... and he killed himself. If there'd been anything left of him I'd have given him CPR just to kill his giving up because its hard ass again!

8. Masterless

Masterless New Member

He's been through a lot. He had to kill his own wife, spent two months alone, struggling, then failed her dying wish. And like he said, he was just an assistant. So not only is he not exactly a scientific asset (though realistically, he should has a lot of education- a PhD in microbiology, probably), he's filled with self-loathing bordering on self-hatred. His anger extended not only to himself, but to those around him- he locked the group in with him, "helping" them with a "painless" death (incineration is far from instant). You can only push someone so far. He didn't want to live. Had they dragged him out of there, he would have shot himself at the first chance.

9. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

My first reaction was to be really mad at Jenner. Then I sympathized with his pain of watching his wife die and failing her last wish. And he explained so rationally and calmly how this quick death was really for the best...And then it hit me.
    Jenner sounded alot like the crazy shooters that we hear about on the news. Their life sucks, they're all alone, better they should end it all. But wait, first they have to go to a school, job or in their own home and kill their family, friends and co-workers because that'll solve everything. That's when I started to hate Jenner again. There were children in the room for crying out loud! And he put himself up as judge, jury and executioner? He couldn't drink himself to death or find some convenient drugs to OD on and leave everyone else alone?
    Here,,,here's an idea Jenner..
    Option 1: You shoot yourself first, and if you survive then you've proved your smarter than the rest of us and you can kill anybody else you want and we won't even argue with you.
    Option 2: Just give me a gun and I'll shoot you. No need to mix HAL into this.
    Option 3: I got this friend Jim who would completely understand your feelings of guilt about your wife. So how's about you jump in the RV and we'll give you a ride over to Jim?

Sorry for the vent. It just really bothers me that Jenner thinks that killing a room full of people is "okay".

10. ShaneFan946

ShaneFan946 Active Member

he shouldnt have ****in locked everyone up in the CDC.....no sympathy for him at all. he he wants to die then so be it. if others want to live why is he stopping them? who made him judge jury executioner and god?

11. clone

clone Member

The belief that they will die and wake up in a living paradise with everyone that is already dead helped Emily Hershel with here decision to kill herself. Maybe this helped Jenner also.

12. ShaneFan946

ShaneFan946 Active Member

no jut no.....killing other people when you dont need to = WRONG....period

13. silmarien

silmarien Member

Jenner was definitely deranged. The group, and humanity, could have benefitted greatly from having a skilled and highly educated man such as him with them. But he chose to be a coward and "opt out". And he tried to kill the entire group in the process - it was insane, and really messed up.

14. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Jenner wasn't highly skilled. He says something along the line of being an assitant and his wife(TS-19) was the true genious. I believe he says "I just worked here", or something to that effect.

15. loco

loco Member

Everyone is saying that Jenner was a crazy mad man. Why? I don't think he was mad. Maybe he wasn't telling them everything they needed to know but there's a freakin ZA going on.

He didn't have all the answers that would comfort another human in thinking everything is going to be alright. He was distraught, he was feeling guilty in letting them in CDC, he needed connections with other humans, maybe killing them was his way of freeing them from the burden of becoming a more destructive humans species.

Jenner was a lot of things but I don't think he was literally crazy. And he definitely wasn't skilled. He knew he would of died a more painful death outside.

16. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

I would guess Jenner was much smarter than he said, probably the top 10%. The CDC wouldn't hire just anyone. I think what he said was just part of his depression.
    He was probably telling the truth about his wife being "an Einstein".

17. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I know several people that work at the CDC. None of them even remotely close to the top 10 percent....

18. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

I just don't see a brilliant woman marrying someone who couldn't understand most of what she says (except in bad movies).
    I'm not saying that is the way it is, just my interpretation.

19. tritiumsight

tritiumsight New Member

I think he was also a researcher/scientist, just not as brilliant or capable as his wife - but he was all that was left, and people with his expertise needed to continue their work. The living hold the responsibility to their dead - and the rest of humanity - to continue fighting, surviving and in his case, trying to seek a cure. At the very least, he could have given Rick his case notes so that if the group found other scientists, there might have been something helpful in his work.

20. Misfit

Misfit Active Member

Personally, I hated to see him go. I really liked the character. I think more could've been done with him had he reconsidered his fate.