Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

If you faced an "end of the world as we know it disaster", and survived what would you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DavidDavidaon, Nov 28, 2018.

1. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

This is more of an off topic thread as it's general survival rather than Zombie survival.
    But if you faced an end of the world as we know it disaster, for example: nuclear attack, a highly virulent disease like a new strain of Ebola that is much more infectious/virulent and wiped out the majority of the population, global financial collapse resulting in global civil war, an immediate onset ice age affecting the entire planet (possibly due to a massive volcanic eruption) or of course; zombies, I guess.

Assuming you survive the first few days (if it's a nuclear attack, pandemic, etc) what would you do to survive? Can you think of a plan? Do you already have a plan (as a prepare for the worst hope for the best type of person) would you form a group with other survivors? Would you occupy a known structure near you or would you make your own shelter?
    Do you live in a nation where firearm ownership is simple such as the US, or do you live somewhere where getting a firearm is more complex and there are heavy restrictions on the gun you can own (UK)?
    Do you possess any skills or knowledge necessary for survival? Or skills that are necessary to help in a group?
    How would you survive?

You can choose your own end of world situation, or for more entertainment you can have it chosen from you from this (short), numbered list and run the numbers through a random number generator. Linked below.

1) Nuclear attack
    2) Global pandemic, Ebola, smallpox, etc killing roughly 2/3-3/4 of the population
    3) Financial collapse and massive civil unrest resulting in worldwide civil war
    4) Another fast onset worldwide ice age (like in "The day after tomorrow") but everywhere is frozen, even equatorial regions.
    5) Zombies (TWD type)

http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumberbetween1and5

Considering some of you may have a close nuclear family, to make it even more interesting you can set the number.generator to 1-4 and roll on it with these rules:
    4 all family members survive
    3 One family member either dies, or is separated from you for life. You can choose who.
    2 You lose (death/separation) the closest family member in your household, the rest survive.
    1 You lose (death/separation) all family members.

http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumberbetween1and4

#1 DavidDavidaon, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

I take medication to survive so any end of the world situation has dire consequences for me. I just hope to be at ground zero for the apocalypse rather than be a survivor struggling and killing over a bottle of water.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Shoot Canadians until I run out of ammo Do my best to round up the family and support other local survivors.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if those Canadian's shoot you first. We have the best line of defense. We plan on lining up all our microwaves at border and throwing in all the forks we can find then turning them on. You guys will then be toast.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Morgotha

Nah, I'm pretty sure we'll win. Every time we come upon a Canadian defensive formation, one of us will shout, "Hey, there's a new Tim Horton's" and we'll knock off all the heads that pop up.

It seems like a fool-proof plan to me, and it doesn't rely on the electrical grid being intact.

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Also, I'd like to point out that Canada is the 2nd largest country on Earth, but 90% of their population is within 50 miles of the US border.*

*This may not be entirely true, but let's go with it anyway. lol

Basically, Canadians are leg humping America like a deranged poodle. It's time for us to put the butt of our rifles to the heads of those poodles.

It's time for us to take back our 2nd rate TV acting jobs. It's time for us to take back the North Pole... Canada DOES NOT OWN SANTA!!! It's time to take back our Mac n' Cheese because Canadians eat too much of it. Who's with me?!?!?! ATTACK!!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Morgotha

I'm on board. The first time I heard Santa say,

"Ho, Ho, Ho, eh?" "Ho, Ho, Ho, eh?"

I knew something had to be done.

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I recently reread an apocalyptic book called One Second After about the effects of an EMP strike. The main character had a diabetic child who realied on insulin. She eventually died. It was horrific. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I read that book as well. It's a part of a trilogy of books. All thrilling and terrifying.

Also, there was Tina in TWD who struggled with that same dilemma. There was also some other show that was a fictional documentary type of show on History channel (don't remember the name though) that went into great detail about how people with Type 1 Diabetes would be completely screwed. Even if it was something that the rest of society could recover from, the threat for people with diabetes would still be very grave.

10. PepperAnn

I’m actualy reading book 3 now. At the time I read book one it was only one book. I found out a few weeks ago it turned into a trilogy. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Morgotha

I think I read that as well, or something like it. Was the setting a ruralish town and the hero had an old VW that wasn't affected by the EMP?

Yeah, true diabetics would be in deep trouble. As a piece of trivia, what is now known as the "Atkin's diet" was originally a pediatric diabetic diet. At the turn of the 20th century they knew what diabetes was, but couldn't do anything about it other than try and give calories through a non-glucose route.

LOL, otoh many type II diabetics will actually have an improvement in their disease due to the lack of Twinkie consumption in the post-apocalyptic world.

Tina in TWD was really in a bad spot. Grabbing insulin and running? A bad diabetic could measure their lifespan by how many vials they were carrying. She must have been going through some pretty awful things to make "grab whatever and run" sound appealing.

12. PepperAnn

Yup. That’s the book.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

I remember reading Brother in the Land (the 1984 print version, not the new revision) when I was about 12 in school. That was a pretty intense book. Was about a boy who cycled up to an old WWII bunker, fell asleep in it and woke up after the bombs fell, it's about his years after the destruction of the UK and the (pretty much) rest of the world.

Interestingly enough we came extremely close to a nuclear war because some moron loaded the "all out attack" program into a computer at Cheyenne mountain complex's early warning computer. Bombers were scrambled and sent out to the USSR awaiting instructions and submarines were notified as all screens showed the same thing; the USSR had launched 2200 missiles at the US.
    We only survived as they waited for satellite confirmation rather than retaliating immediately, probably because US/USSR relations were fairly okay in '79.

14. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I own an acre with well water that has provided years and years of fresh fresh fruit and vegetables. Get a few chickens for eggs. Used to have a chicken coop, too. My friends say they are heading for the property when the apocalypse comes, so hopefully we could get a good crew going. One of them knows how to cook squirrels, but it makes me freak out when she contemplates that protein source. :eek:

Would have to set up a windmill for power to the well, but Calif is so green, I bet we could get to a windmill store fairly easily.

The next-door-neighbor says the property is so invaluable, the real problem will be standing guard to shoot people who try to overrun it as they realize what it is. Yes, we actually contemplate this. lol (He has a gun. He's in. lol Actually I inherited a gun, too, although I've never loaded it.)

You are all invited, but you will have to give your forum names and pass a Walking Dead Forum trivia test to get in. :D Call for details when the apocalypse is upon us. If it happens overnight, well, good luck. :D

15. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Ah, it makes much more sense to use solar power to run the well and whatever electricity we'll need. Easy peasy. Glad we had this trial run. lol

16. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Hey now! You have a LOT to thank us Canadian's for. We gave you Maple Syrup, Hockey, Milk for your president to suckle on, ME, and best of all, we gave you Justin Beiber.

We DO own Santa and you should all be damn grateful we allow him to drop presents off to your scores of children. Poor Santa was detained at the Border since November trying to get a temporary pass to do so.

You can keep the Mac and Cheese and we will continue to "hump America" because hey, Canadian's are GREAT humpers. So there!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

ooh more books i can download with full intentions of reading!

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Atkins actually discusses that very topic in his book.

Also... Why is it that everyone assumes that obese people are addicted to Twinkies, or that the Twinkie is the "go to" stable in an overweight person's diet? lol

It's always Twinkies or the Big Mac. No one ever talks about the gallons sugar that are in Coca Cola or other various drinks with high amounts of sugar. Or cake, candy bars, and sugars that are put into almost every other type of food, even pre-packaged/prepared meats.

I was overweight for at least half of my adult life and I maybe had eaten 5 or 6* Twinkies during that time. I don't appreciate it when you stigmatize certain "fat people" foods, @Morgotha ! Have some compassion for Christ's sake!!!

*Thousand, lol

19. Morgotha

I couldn't list EVERY food "fat people" like to eat, I be here all week! What other "fat people" food do you think I should have used as an example instead? Ice cream? Marlboros? Wine-in-a-box?

Twinkies were the comfort food of youth. Ding Dongs? Hostess fruit pies? Lil' Debbie? Nope, for sheer simplicity of purpose Twinkies rule the roost and should be the standard by which all snacks are judged. And talk about American! You don't get more American than an individually wrapped "cake" machine-injected full of a mysterious cream-like substance that can sit on the shelf forever without going bad.

Have some respect for the snack hierarchy, @Jama! Don't dis the Twinkie!

20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

It's scary how many places sugar is hidden. Once i started checking it consciously i just couldn't believe it. Not to mention things that our body turns into glucose. If I ever developed the 'beetus, i think i would probably blame it on savory things like pizza, sandwiches, etc. as opposed to sweets. Although I do have a sweet tooth here & there.

As for the OP, great post! I started watching TWD before I had my daughter who is now 4, so it's interesting to think about the differences in what I would have said then as opposed to now. I need to put some thought into this! It's been a while since i've played the "what if" scenario in my head.