Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I'll Be Honest

Discussion in 'Episode 316 - Welcome to the Tombs' started by Morgan Freeman, Apr 1, 2013.

1. GirllovesGuns

GirllovesGuns Member

I felt sad because of how everyone else reacted....but she was not my favorite. Her consistently bad choices bad it hard to love her.

2. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

My teenage son & I watched this episode on foxtel a few nights ago, we had a girlie cry.

It's the first time he's seen it, he was devastated that she was bitten..

3. GirllovesGuns

GirllovesGuns Member

I live my life off topic. BOOM!

4. sam12six

sam12six Member

I think that might be deliberate. You've got a small group of people against a world turned into teleporting people-eaters. They're the ultimate underdogs. Now, you make them thoroughly unlikeable and there's a lot more emotional turmoil for viewers as they're rooting for the underdogs but also somewhat hoping to see them die horribly.

Or it could just be a bad decision in character direction by the writers. In season 1, Lori, Dale and Rick were the only ones I was actually looking forward to seeing become zombie bait. By the end of this previous season, Carol, Beth, and Li'l Asskicker (and maybe Maggie) are the only ones for whom I'm NOT actively anticipating pain and death (and they'll probably make the list by the end of the upcoming season).

5. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bad writing something to do with it, not sure how much, but it has something..

Mazzara said in an interview last year that he wanted people to like Lori and understand her situation.. That just didn't across to the viewer though..

6. sam12six

sam12six Member

If that was what he was shooting for, he should have had a longer period of time where Rick was on his own. As it was, what you saw was this sincere guy desperately looking for his family for 2 weeks who finds his wife already happily shacked up with his best friend.

That's what made me personally dislike her - the fact that the zombie apocalypse seemed to be her chance to look for another man while her existing man was torturing himself with the task of looking for her and Carl. Of course, what made me dislike him was how he pretty much ignored them when he found them while the asshole of the group had been a more attentive father and "husband" than he turned out to be.

7. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd have to re-watch all of season 1 again but I'm pretty sure the friendly banter between Lori, Rick & Shane during the episodes suggested that Shane typically helped Lori out a great deal before the ZA happened..

I'll have to re-watch it and jot down the parts where I felt the friendly banter suggested that..

8. sam12six

sam12six Member

Oh, it's not like they were strangers. There's no doubt they were all close pre-ZA.

My point was that either they were actively having an affair pre-ZA or she jumped at the chance that dead men rising offered - neither of which makes her a likeable character whose plight I could sympathize with. In fact, I'd be more sympathetic if she'd hooked up with a complete stranger. If that were the case, you could argue that she was selling herself in exchange for the safety of herself and her son. With such a close friend of the family as Shane was, you can't make that argument because he'd have taken care of them anyway.

Now, if Rick hadn't been with the group for several months you could say Lori and Shane just eventually fell for each other because they were relying on each other so much, but to have it happen so quickly is... unseemly.

9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I always felt that Lori was written in a way which made her fairly hard to like. There were moments where I felt sorry for her, such as when Shane forced himself on her in the CDC, but she mostly just came off as someone who wanted everything 'her way.'

I understand what they were trying to do with her, though. It's difficult to create a flawed and conflicted character, but still make that character likeable. I kind of get the impression that they were trying to give it another shot with Andrea in season 3, but it still didn't work.

10. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I wish they kept in a few scenes they cut out. One was Lori & Shane leaving town and looking at the city being bombed. People may have been more sympathetic is they saw the enormity of their total life upheaval.. (If the zombies weren't enough lol)

11. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I felt sorry for her, I got it that she wasn't happy in her marriage, she wanted her husband more in their lives but in the end was always reliant on another man to fill the void of an absent husband..

Got it that it was a shitty situation to sort out..

Hopefully Gimple can create flawed & conflicted well this season.. He did it perfectly with Merle in this sorrowful life..

12. BatmansHooker

Absolutely! Merle was a great example. I feel like Lori would have been a very difficult character to write.

13. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

He did a great job of explaining why Andrea was doing what she did in the finale.. Too little too late unfortunately..

14. BatmansHooker

I agree. I'm glad she had that final moment to explain her actions.

15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I wish Gimple would have allowed her to live.. But, wasn't to be..

16. GirllovesGuns

GirllovesGuns Member

17. Savior

Savior Well-Known Member

Smart kid your son.

18. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

Who would Merle's perfect woman be?

19. walkerbait74

walkerbait74 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. adrenalineknife