Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I'm going to miss Merle when he dies.

Discussion in 'Episode 307 - When the Dead Come Knocking' started by Morgotha, Nov 26, 2012.

1. walkerTXranger

How did he get banned. Why did he get banned?

2. walkerTXranger

That was like the classic scene of season 1

3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

he's been getting antsy and got out of control in a few pms.

4. walkerTXranger

is that antsy or nasty or both?

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

antsy. it is right how it is.

6. Dead man walking

No I'm not, and yes I will.

Ok, so you and perhaps a few others might wimper if Daryl offed Merle, but just saying, that in reality not many would bother and certainly no one would hate Daryl. The majority of people like Daryl and he would have to do something far worse to have the public turn against him. If he did it, perhaps people might dislike that part of the story a little, but not hate Daryl - his character is too good at the moment. And I still think it would be a good way to end Merle. Like I said, if that was my brother who did those things, i wouldn't hesititate. Live by the sword, die by the sword and all that..

7. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

The Gov. must have really cracked down on Merle's overt racism in order to make him not so disruptive to the Woodbury community (as well as offensive to the Gov., who while probably racist, himself, is used to a more subtle version of it than Merle presents). It certainly makes Merle easier to sympathize with.

In all, I'd say the Gov. has been a good influence on Merle. Giving him the outlet of the fights has really given Merle a place to shine and to work out his issues. Being the clear leader of Woodbury's away teams also helps give Merle the alpha position that he so obviously craves. Plus he can feel superior to the civilians of Woodbury, thinking that if not for his vigilance, they would be dead, which is probably even true.

The unfortunate truth is that Merle is a very small person in a large, strong body. If the outside matched the inside, Milton could beat him up no problem. Daryl sees that clearly now: His ordeal on the cliff really helped him sort that out - helped him get past his gratitude for whatever teaching/help Merle gave him along with the abuse).

I will miss the new ambiguity of Merle's character. Back in S1 he was clearly one-dimensional - just a redneck with a drug habit and an unlimited sense of entitlement. Now he has something that he wants desperately to hang onto, which makes him interestingly vulnerable. It will also make his death more enjoyable.

8. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I usually agree with the majority of what you post but i suggest you rewatch 1x02 and 1x03.

9. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

You must be seeing something that I can't. I agree that he's pretty bad-ass when he cuts his hand off and cauterizes it. But that does not constitute depth of character - it's more like a fox gnawing his own leg off. If he'd had any faith in his brother and held on for him, that would have been impressive in an entirely different way.

I maintain that Merle in S1 is a one-dimensional character: a thug, a druggie and a bully. Please feel free to nominate any other axes of personality that you see.