Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

I'm sorry - could Andrea get any dumber?

Discussion in 'Episode 314 - Prey' started by Alina, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I agree with whoever it was who posted that this episode had no suspense because they didn't care whether Andrea lived or died. In order to have suspense you have to be invested in the outcome and I have zero investment in Andrea's survival because she is the stupidest female character in tv history:

Andrea's brilliant plan for escape from Woodbury:

1. Immediately alert other people that you're leaving.
    2. Don't bother to cache weapons.
    3. Sprint to the prison.
    4. Pull a Michonne and don't bother actually warning other people in Woodbury, just tell them that the Guv is bad without giving them any details.

One minute she disagrees with Milton that she should leave and she plans to kill the Guv, the next minute she agrees she should leave and executes her "plan". Is there anything this broad can do without stuffing it up completely?

2. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

First of all, when you up the ante and conclude an episode with Rick declaring "We are going to war"... it makes very little sense to hammer the war cry back down with Andrea in the next episode — dafuq was that for? I'll attribute this to sloppy planning, and probably the result of stretching thin the series to 16 episodes instead of condensing it to a nice and riveting 13 episode series. The way I see it, "Prey" was 3/4 full of Andrea running away and getting caught again. Meh...

And agreed on all except point four. Priority lies in warning Rick of the Governor's deadly scam. Woodburians are not in immediate danger, unlike the prison members and Michonne.

EDIT: And personally, this episode has a made a fool out of not only Andrea, but other characters as well. Why would Milton give Andrea exclusive information to the Governor's plan, ask her to escape Woodbury only to succumb to fear at the very last minute? Couldn't he have seen this coming? We know Milton is a bad liar, but must he really be that dumb? Surely Andrea's disappearance would cause a step up in security, why can't he lay low for the time being and not draw attention to himself?

Tyreese as well, Andrea warned him about Woodbury and he witnessed those biters in the pit but falls for the Governor's patronizing BS of it being "just fear technique" anyway? Surely seeing Martinez load up heavy artillery grants Andrea's warning some credit but instead, he goes "Oh okay. Puh-leez let us stay. I saw red but it won't happen again."

I wouldn't blame it on Andrea, it's the storytelling that's a little lazy.

* facepalm *

#2 Zugzwang, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

4. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Surely she had time to say "He's planning to kill everyone at the prison and torture Michonne, if people leave he sends crews out to kill them, he tried to get two brothers to kill each other in a gladiatorial contest, he kept his walker daughter locked up, he had walker heads in fish tanks". Now would that have been so hard?

5. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Like you, it did cross my mind when she stood on the wall, "Tell him Andrea, tell him everything! EVERYTHING! AND ASK THEM FOR A GUN OR RIFLE FOR SELF-PROTECTION TOO GODDAMMIT!"

But in retrospect, I can let this one slip because given previous encounter with Tyreese [in the woods], there is consistency. She may be a blabbermouth but sure as hell refrains from revealing too much to Tyreese. Why risk aggravating the situation by prolonging the conversation? The more she reveals, the more questions Tyreese would have, the lesser her chances of escaping because minutes are ticking. It's not that improbable for Andrea to enter Michonne-mode and save her own ass first by escaping. If she cannot even ensure she's free from threat to begin with, every other heroic gesture involving warning Woodburians and saving them from the Governor's clutches is just wishful thinking.

#5 Zugzwang, Mar 19, 2013
  6. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

Hard to say ... no. Hard to articulate a proper thought when your mind is racing ... yes. Now I'm no TV Andrea lover(had to differentiate between TV and comic. I love comic Andrea), but she did the best she could given her limited faculties. Yes, it probably would have been more effective to tell Tyrese and Sasha "The Gov is killing people, you should come with me". However that's not TV Andrea. She tries to solve problems that aren't there, and carry burdens that aren't hers.

How many times has she been given a way to leave Woodbury? How many times has she sat next to the Gov on that long car ride home knowing that he's a psycho? TV Andrea needs to either shuffle loose the mortal coil, or learn from all her boneheadedness and take a meaningful role as part of her former group as a human shield.

#6 MrSmith317, Mar 19, 2013
  7. 4nomads

4nomads Member

Your first and fourth point contradict each other.

She did her best to alert T and S but she didn't have time to go into details.

She had her gun taken off of her, at least she bluffed and got to keep a knife. How could she get guns together??

What should she do other than sprint? Skip, shimmy, hop??

Milton was in on the plan, he was there to warn people.

I really think Andrea redeemed herself this episode.

8. Austannibal

Austannibal Member

She did redeem herself this episode, even though she didn't need redemption to begin with. I think it's funny how Andrea haters are still trying to find reasons to hate her, especially after this episode.

9. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

[​IMG]

10. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

She could have bided her time. She could have surreptitiously stolen weapons. She could have sought Milton's advice on how to sneak out of the place (he obviously knows the ins and outs of the joint). She could have told the Guv "Yeah, I think my time would be best spent helping the doc inventory the medical supplies because I think there might be some injuries. I may be some time, don't be surprised if you don't see me for a few hours". She could have tried the many abandoned cars she passed on her trip to the prison to see if any of them were operable.

And my first and fourth points don't contradict each other. She jumps over the wall in full view of other people that she doesn't know? Dumb move. And when she does that she doesn't even fill them in on why she's doing it? She doesn't even say "I've got to get to the prison before the Guv attacks them because he's planning on killing them all". Dumb move.

11. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Andrea certainly has not come across as the strongest character this season. I think though that even if you didn't care about Andrea's well being in the chase scenes it could still have suspense if you realized how important her knowledge would be to the prison group that the Governor is planning on killing them all no matter what.

With that said I think Andrea had two prime opportunities to escape the Governor.

1. When she first visited the prison. She should not have returned.
    2. During the summit between the Prison and Woodbury. At that time she should've gone back with Rick's group after she heard yet more details from Hershel

Instead all Andrea was left to do was run down the road in the last episode like the guy with the backpack in Clear.

12. KathyG

KathyG Member

The whole cast are eating stupid pill's all but Merle he know's the deal with the Gov

13. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I know that there are people who hate Andrea because they think that she's a slut for boffing Shane and the Guv and that she's disloyal to her BFF Michonne, blah, blah, blah.

I'm not one of the those. I'm one of the people who think Andrea's character is appalling written by the writers of the show and who think Holden is an awful actress and who think her whole melodramatic arc doesn't belong in a show that is otherwise extremely well written and characterised. Compare the Morgan scenes with the Andrea scenes. See? I hate Andrea because I'm a writing snob who wants quality television and as soon as Andrea turns up on TWD it's like the I.Q. in the writer's room plunges to room temperature.

ETA: In fact I think Andrea's character was some sort of misguided attempt by the writers to attract a female audience except it turned out like a firecracker that didn't go off and then they went "hang on, let's just lean right in close and see what's wrong with this thing, why didn't it explode?"

#13 Alina, Mar 19, 2013
  14. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

Her first and fourth don't really have to contradict each other. She could warn people, but tell them to stay calm as to not alert them I suppose.

She could have taken either of Tyreese or Sasha's guns, and also it didn't look like the soldiers were hiding the guns, just collecting them. She might have been able to grab and run without being noticed.

She could have gotten out of sight, then hot wired the nearest car. Seriously if you haven't learned how to start a car without the keys a year into the ZA, you are not thinking very smart.

I don't recall Milton warning a single person... He ain't got tha baaallls.

15. lurkers&roamers

He didn't fall for it. You could tell from the look he and Sasha gave each other that he thought the Governor's story was bs. And I think it became evident that Tyreese knew something was up when he asked the Governor why Martinez didn't just tell him that's what the biters were for and the Governor said they don't discuss strategy with people they don't know. He fed the Governor his own line of bs that he's fine with it. Tyreese knows something is up but he's smart enough not to go after the Governor right there.

16. Austannibal

Austannibal Member

Exactly.

17. 4nomads

4nomads Member

Martinez was not going to let her keep her gun.

If she managed to get T and S guns off them then It would have a ridiculous scenario.

18. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

Fair enough, I can concede to the possibility in theory because:

1. Hard to believe someone like Tyreese, leader of a bunch of survivors, is dumb enough to completely write off the inconsistencies between Governor and Martinez
    2. Andrea's warning about Woodbury being more than what it seems
    3. No point inviting more heat by challenging the Governor (not even Michonne did when she was in the exact same situation) and risking his own safety
    As for the "look' he gave Sasha and whether it is sufficient to imply that Tyreese thinks the Governor is 100% bull, pure speculation imo. Consider observer bias.

#18 Zugzwang, Mar 19, 2013
  19. ripbongs420

ripbongs420 Member

I know Martinez was going to take her gun, I was saying she might have been able to pull of grabbing one quickly and getting away.

I don't see how that is a ridiculous scenario. Tyreese and Sasha seem like the kind of people who would give her their guns if she explained to them what was going on. Worst case just swipe Sasha's badass tact-out akm with the underfolder from her and book it.

20. basketcase

basketcase Active Member

it just seems like the writers are getting lazy...i know this is fiction but they gotta get more creative, we are all intelligent enough when we spot some plot holes and major B.S.!

still a great show