Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Interesting Finale Trivia/Goofs

Discussion in 'Episode 213 - Beside the Dying Fire' started by Patricia, May 20, 2015.

1. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Hi I'm brand new to walkingdeadforums.com and thought I should make a thread that details interesting trivia and possible goofs in the Season 2 Finale, Episode 13, Beside The Dying Fire way back from 2012 (or at least I find it interesting)

The reason for making this a thread is because I would be interested to find out what other people think as I may be wrong on a few points, and I would love people to agree or disagree with me and possibly add trivia or goofs that I missed.

Don't read if you haven't seen the 2012 Season 2 Finale

So here goes:

• I'm sure everybody knows about Hershel's unlimited ammo Shotgun with no recoil, but did anyone know he also teleports too? After Glenn and Maggie drive off the farm, we see Hershel standing in the same place he was when Lori called for him earlier (on the left side of the house facing the barn), however when the camera cuts to him backing up, he's suddenly on the right end of the front of the house. Don't believe me? Check for yourself, most notably the porch is different. You can even see the cars behind him as he backs up which are parked on the right of the house not in the front. They got away with it because the porches look so similar, but in the making of you can see that he walks back a lot more past the front door before he pauses.
    • Lori says to Carol that she checked the shed. But isn't that entire area swarming with walkers seconds later? How could that many be there in the short time Lori was there to when they run back down there?
    • Also, when Hershel backs up, the area behind him with the cars is the same area Patricia died, Carol was cornered etc. How come it is empty except one lone walker that sneaks up on Hershel?
    • Lori, Carol, Beth and Patricia were the last people to use the farmhouse before it was abandoned.
    • Carol is seen wearing a yellow scarf during the first half of the episode. She is seen wearing it as she runs off the porch but moments later when she's cornered it has vanished. Did it fall off her? Or did she throw it at the walkers like she was about to with a stick?
    • When Jimmy gets up from the RV seat, there are many walkers hitting the windshield with their hands. Where are they all when we see Jimmy's blood splatter on the glass? Moved out the way so we could have a clear view?
    • We see the two cars (Glenn/Maggie and Andrea/T-Dog) driving in front of the barn. We know that Andrea and T-Dog decide to give up and go to rescue Lori and Beth, but does it take them that long to get around the back of the house to them? Also where do Maggie and Glenn drive off too? The view of Hershel shooting towards the barn has both cars not in view, and next time we see them they appear to be on a patch of field far away from the house and barn.
    • Some viewers (not all who are big fans) had no idea why Andrea found a bag of guns on a random piece of land. Lori carried it from the porch and then after Patricia is caught Lori's shadow can be seen dropping it onto the floor quickly before she runs empty handed to Beth. The bag can be seen on the floor during the ensuing struggle too.
    • Carol, Beth and Patricia run first with Lori at the back. Yet in the immediate next shot, Lori is in front of Beth and Patricia.
    • When the women run down the stairs, where did all those walkers on the left come from? They weren't there seconds earlier as they appear to be right next to the porch. Also they are coming from Hershel's direction. Does that mean lots of walkers ignored Hershel and went past him?
    • In a making of video, it is shown that the walker that grabbed Patricia was hidden out of sight between a car and a tree. In the final cut of the show, we don't get to see the initial tree or car, which made most viewers think she simply ran straight into it.
    • In all of Patricia's close up bites (which according to Greg Nicotero were filmed later in "second unit") there are no walkers at all behind her, only the ones biting her. You can see the trees and background behind her and it's empty. The biggest goof is when she goes down. In the last close up shot as she falls down it's completely empty yet a second later there are swarms right behind her ready to devour her.
    • In the "first unit" scenes that show Lori and Beth also, you can pause and see that all the blood is gone. The same applies in the last shot as she falls down as they pile on her.
    • I may be wrong but during the second shot of Lori pulling at Beth, for a split second before it cuts to Patricia's second close up bite you can see a figure by the red car on the far right. This could be an approaching walker but closer inspection it look like Carol. Maybe Carol ran ahead but paused by the car first and witnessed Patricia die, then resumed running after Lori pulled Beth away. It would explain how Lori knew Carol ran in that exact position to when she tells Andrea to save her.
    • T-Dog wasn't there when the women initially ran. What was their plan? To get in Hershel's red car and leave without him? That red car was the only car parked and available for use. Before we can find out what Lori was planning to do T-Dog pulls up and she gets in there. Interesting to note had Patricia not died and Carol not separated, then Hershel, Rick and Carl would have been stranded.
    • When T-Dog picks Lori and Beth up, the many walkers that were devouring Patricia by the car/tree are gone. This also is the case when Rick drags Hershel to the car. Not only have all the walkers disappeared but they run over the spot Patricia died. No bones? No walkers?
    • When Carol is cornered by two walkers, they should have gotten to her ages before Andrea gets there as they were right in front of her.
    • As soon as the walker falls on Andrea, where has Carol gone? You can see from the view from the car the second Carol gets "downed" there's a female walker walking to the right. That implies that immediately after Carol screamed "Look Out!" that she immediately ran to the right. this makes sense as when we next see her, it seems she has made a wide run around the house to the front.
    • Andrea getting stranded doesn't make much sense. Where she saved Carol is the exact same vicinity the red car is situated. How could she not be there?
    • Some reviewers mistakenly say that Carol gets cornered against the barn. Others say the shed. Actually it's neither. The barn is full of walkers, on fire and far down a hill. Carol didn't run that far. Also the shed (where Randall was kept prisoner) it to the side next to the chicken coop. She leaned against some other shed-like structure that is never shown used by the characters
    • Most people know this one: It seems that there is a goof in how it becomes day again so quickly. Randall goes "missing" and it's day and everyone it told to stay in the house. Not long after Shane dies and the herd arrives and they battle. Next we see Carol and Daryl then Maggie and Glenn and it's dawn. Does that mean everyone was driving for hours and hours?

Anyway there is trivia and goofs I find interesting. Please note none of these are criticisms of the show as I love it so much and this is my favorite episode.

Thanks for reading. Please add your opinions, trivia or goofs.

2. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Oh one more interesting note is that Patricia's death caused a chain reaction of events that lead the characters to where they are in Season 6. Imagine the scenario had Patricia not got caught. Carol wouldn't have been separated as they would have been together. Andrea wouldn't have had to run off. No Andrea in woods and no Michonne. No Woodbury. no Prison Vs Woodbury etc etc etc

3. Heriot of Fire

Made me chuckle :)

Welcome to the forums!

4. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

A bit late to the party aren't we?

5. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Glad I made you chuckle. Season 2 was my favourite.

6. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Yes I'm very late sadly. But hopefully some people still like to talk about the earlier seasons as much as the newer ones. I hope :)

7. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Well, thankfully you're in luck. Many people on these forums still discuss earlier seasons at great length.

8. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Isn't it past your bedtime, sir?

9. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Actually i just woke up ;P

10. TheWalkingHorn

hah, well then good morning!

11. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Thankyou, what time is it on your end?

12. TheWalkingHorn

It's 9:48 currently. Sorry for the delay I was drooling over Demi Lovato. I'm about to start all of my night time routines. TGIF tomorrow!!! TGIF for you! :D

13. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

That Patricia not being caught thing is pretty interesting. But you know what would have been interesting? Had Beth never let go and she died as well. No Still. No Hospital Arc. No Bethyl. :)

14. JPG119

JPG119 Member

Hershel's unlimited ammo was by far the best, I was waiting for him to maybe pull out a pair of Uzi's from behind his ears and turn into the bulletproof monk.

15. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Oh that's good. I still think there are interesting debates where the earlier seasons are concerned. Thanks for the info :)

16. Patricia

Patricia New Member

I take it ltomlinson31 you're a fan of Beth? I always think had Beth and Patricia been holding hands the opposite way (Could easily have happened) with Beth on the left and Patricia on the right, then poor 16 year old Beth would have been caught and devoured while Lori would have had to pry Patricia away. As much as I love Beth, Patricia would have been extremely valuable for the group as she had medical training (could have helped Hershel's leg quicker, treated and possibly saved Lori) however Hershel and Maggie would be in a worse emotional place had Beth died.

Basically Beth could just have easily have died had they ran holding hands the other way, or if Lori hadn't pulled her away. But the biggest element is had that walker not managed to grab Patricia, then the whole Carol/Andrea scenario wouldn't have happened. That means no Andrea in the woods with Michonne. And of course this led tot he entire Woodbury thing with The Governor which led to Hershel's death which led to Terminus etc etc etc.

Moral of the story, had Patricia not died, our characters would have gone on a very, very different journey ;-)

17. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Hershel was a God in that episode, he:

Had unlimited ammo and didn't need to reload
    Didn't suffer from recoil
    Didn't get deafened when Rick shot a bullet right past his ear
    Could teleport from the left of the house to the front
    Had walkers walking extremely slow towards him
    Summoned a jacket to wear at the highway
    (though in his defense it may have been in the back of his car anyway - it was his car)

18. Heriot of Fire

So basically, Patricia sacrificed herself to save all those writer's jobs on TWD.

Is that what they call method acting? I'm confused.

19. Patricia

Patricia New Member

Haha yes I suppose. If her character wasn't there to die then the Andrea getting abandoned storyline likely wouldn't have happened which led on to a chain of events. Basically someone needed to die at that exact moment for Carol to be seperated so that Andrea could be abandoned so that she could meet Michonne.

It didn't need to be her though, Beth could easily have taken her place. It was pure luck on Beth's part she wanted to hold her hand with her right hand.

20. JPG119

JPG119 Member

It's a shame he's no longer with us, Season 6 finale they could reveal that Hershel was in fact Captain America