Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Interview and The Future of The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Volume 17: Something To Fear' started by marsyao, Jul 17, 2012.

1. marsyao

marsyao Member

Here is a new interview with Robert Kirkman about the Issue #100 and the Future of The Walking Dead, in the interview, Mr Kirkman made one thing clear: Rick will not survive the walking dead

Looking ahead, do you know how you want Rick’s story to end? If the series continues 10 or 20 years, and it always follows Rick, the stories would not have the same impact because readers would always know that Rick will survive. I’ve heard you say in the past that Rick could die at any time. Is that still the case?

Robert Kirkman: Yeah, Rick could go at any time. I think that Carl could carry the book now. I know that there are interesting stories I could do with him, Andrea, or Michonne. To a certain extent, I think it would be interesting to follow Negan for a little bit and see what that story would be like.
    I definitely think that Rick has been the anchor for the series and may be the anchor of the series for a long time. I do have plans for him and I know where his story is going, but I promise that Rick will not survive the entire run of the book.

http://dailydead.com/exclusive-robert-kirkman-talks-issue-100-and-the-future-of-the-walking-dead/

2. Eat ALL the Cheese!

I don't think I could continue reading the series if Rick died.

3. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Pfff. Whatever. Kirkman could be lying. If Rick dies at or near the end of the series, ok. But if he goes any sooner than that, it might as well be TWD: Volume 2. And Carl is not gonna carry the book. Too many people find him annoying and unbelievable. I completely disagree w/ the impact statement. Were already past the point of people thinking Rick will die. And TWD is more popular than ever.

4. Shallow Grave

Shallow Grave Member

I started from issue #1, I have read every single issue. I am perversely emotionally invested in this comic, something no one should do! Of course I expect casualties to occur, a few that pissed me off, a few that I felt indifferent about, and those that I just wanted to happen. But this was the first time I was literally sick to my stomach and felt so hurt and betrayed. Bravo!

The art wasn't what got me nauseous...It was me pausing on the page right before, studying their faces...reading those ominous, mocking words. Lump in my throat, crystal-lined heart from anticipation and fingers made of lead, I couldn't bring myself to turn the page. I just could not face it. I didn't want to. I just stared at it and read over and over for such a long time until it became surreal [in terms of their world,] finally I mustered up courage.

Every bit of me was hoping that Andrea had the sixth-sense to follow the group with backup despite the duty she was assigned. As I was just about to turn I thought "Get ready mother f'er, in just a matter of seconds you're gonna have a bullet in your head..." NOPE. Totally unexpected. I would have been better prepared if it were Carl instead. Poor Maggie, poor Sophia. Hell, poor everyone! Did you see their faces?!

What can this possibly mean for Rick? I can only speculate of course. I feel Negan succeeded in breaking Rick, if only just a little to the point of merely chipping his show of tough demeanor. I have no doubt Rick is strong, but the affections displayed toward Carl and Andrea are going to change I think. Rick may become even more overly protective of Carl, while pushing Andrea as far away from him as possible like he was trying to do in the first place. I don't think Andrea will let him go that easily and Carl is going to lash out and try to prove to his father that he's not a little boy anymore once and for all. I also feel that Rick is going to have a difficult time leading the group.

I also have my thoughts about the others but that'll take all day.

5. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Man, that wouldve been something else if it was Carls head under that bat.

I could see Rick stepping down. At least until he finds a way to kill Negan and prove himself to the group again. Hes gotten everyone into quite a mess here.

6. Shallow Grave

Shallow Grave Member

Yeah, this definitely has Rick shaken up to the core. Do you think, perhaps Rick's grip on reality will start to slip and he will hallucinate again hearing Lori or Glenn? Rick thought they were invincible, Glenn reminded him of their mortality and his carelessness. He got too ballsy, but that's what makes me like him. I wonder what kind of leader Carl would make when he's older.

7. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

I think Ricks gonna be pretty focused on finding a way to kill Negan. He was pretty clear about that. But I dont think the groups gonna respect him right now. If they do, then theyre stupid. And thatd almost be unrealistic writing. I was really surprised a couple issues ago someone didnt speak up and say something like, "Wait a minute, Rick... We dont even know how many of these guys there are. Or what kind of weapons they have. Maybe we should think about this..." Come to think if it, looking back, why in the world was anyone ever satisfied w/ Alexandria when they first got there? They knew what kind of crazy people are out there. They shouldve been thinking ahead for something just like this.

Now I sound like Ricks mother... Goodnight.

8. marsyao

marsyao Member

I have to say "It is business, not personal", the killing of Glenn, brutal it was, you have to admit that was about business, I wish Rick will recognize that, and do not get too emotional, in order to win the war against the saviors, he has to keep a cool head, and remember sometimes revenge is a dish better be served cold

9. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Exactly. Thats why Im saying you can almost understand where Negans coming from. Hes like a cold hearted businessman. "If you dont put your competition out of business, theyll bury you." Just like the hunters. "Its either you or me." Rick needs to keep a clear head about this. And I think he will. I hope he will. But hes been such a damn fool lately.

10. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

Yes Rick will die in the comic: OF OLD AGE!

that is the only way they will kill him and this book will probably last long enough for Carl to die of old age too

11. marsyao

marsyao Member

Negan is not exactly like the hunters, hunters would eat you, and that give you no choice, because, let us put it frankly, no one like to be eaten, Negan does give you a choice, you fight us you are a dead man, but if you work for me and give me half of things you produce, then you live and I might even provide you some kind of service by clearing out walkers from this area.

12. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

Fair enough. Im just saying Negan realizes if he doesnt operate the way he does, then someone else is gonna come around and do it to him. Sadly, its the way the world operates. When I worked for the man back in USA, I asked my boss why we have to try to put our competition out of business. He said, "because if we dont, theyll put us out of business." Ill never forget that. Probably the kind of guy Negan was before the apoc.

13. weirdalsuhf

weirdalsuhf New Member

Kinda figured even Rick wasn't safe. What better way to show everyone how messed up your story is (in a good way) than to kill off your main character? Worked for Hitchcock.

But it probably won't happen for a long time. Carl's still too young so unless Kirkman does a time skip, Rick fans don't have anything to worry about...for now. Actually I'm guessing time skip is a strong possibility. Rick gets revenge on Negan and destroys his group, frees all the other groups from their racketeering scam so they can continue rebuilding civilization...all this allows peace for a long time, aka time skip.

As for following Negan, hell no,
    . I like this story because it's about good people trying to survive in hell and all the difficulties trying to keep their humanity in a situation like theirs. That's what made the story so interesting. Any group of strong douche bags can just go around killing people weaker than them for the stuff they want and need to survive. No challenge in that whatsoever.

The Walking Dead: Negan's story, issue #1 -
    Negan: Hey guys, here's another group. Time to threaten them and make them our slaves. Do what I say or we'll kill you and people will think I'm cool because I smile and make bad jokes while beating and killing people.
    WOOOOOOOW can't wait for issue #2!!! :zombies_rolleyes:

14. RicksRightHand

I don't think I could continue reading the series if Rick died. I've always seen it as his story... I don't expect him to live for the entire duration on the series but I don't expect him to die and see the series continue on for much longer after it.

Like any interview with Kirkman, you need to take it with a pinch of salt... I mean:

I don't detest Carl, but he's not on my top 5 characters of the comic and I know there are a lot of TWD fans that feel the same... I don't think Kirkman truly believes what he was quoted saying. Sounds like typical Kirkman, the man surly knows his audience and he'll know that a story in which Carl is the predominant character is not the way forward.

15. supmyman7

supmyman7 Member

The comic series is gonna be 300 issues approximately right? Rick shouldn't die until 250 at the latest.

16. LoneBear

LoneBear New Member

Volume 17 and the Future of Characters in TWD

I have to say that I was pretty devastated by the events portrayed in v17, but I was not surprised. The one thing that I like (and I surmise that most of us like) about TWD, both the graphic novel and the TV series, is that it is reflective of life--i.e., bad s**t happens to good people more times than not. Kirkman's writing reminds me, to a certain extent, of the fiction of writers like Thomas Hardy, Edith Wharton and Cormac McCarthy. I'm not making that comparison on the literary quality of the writing, but on Kirkman's use of 'naturalism' or 'realism'. Read Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles, or McCarthy's No Country for Old Men or The Road and you'll see what I mean. The zombie apocalypse landscape that Robert Kirkman has created is a horrifyingly dangerous place, and I think it makes a lot of sense when he says, "...no one is safe...not even Rick..."

Frankly, I am just along for the ride and enjoying every terrifying moment of the story and the art!

#16 LoneBear, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012