Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Interview with the Vampire

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Stealth, Sep 15, 2022.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

This is coming to AMC on 10/2 as a new TV series. I'm going to check it out. The trailers have looked good.

2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I’m a bit hesitant on this one. I love me some good vamp stories but I’ve never been that enthusiastic about Anne Rice’s lot. Too angsty but I think I’ll check it out too.

#2 purriwinkle, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Stealth

Yeah, this adaptation looks to be a bit more gritty to me. Now sometimes shows can put together a great promo and then not deliver. But I'm cautiously optimistic and will give it a shot.

4. purriwinkle

Watched the first episode. I actually liked this adaptation better than the movie or even the book. The actors playing both Lestat and Louis are really selling it. Anne Rice wrote her vamps in the classic style which I find harder to identify with, depending on what one believes a vampire is a metaphor for.

Gonna be lots of soul searching angst and gratuitous violence but can a cold blooded killer come to terms with his/her lost humanity? Do they even care or are humans mere cattle, fodder for their “higher” existence? Can a vampire truly love, perhaps feel pity or are their “children” but a manifestation of their own desires? Is immortality a gift if the vampire tires of their long lives? We’re gonna get the whole gamut of emotions before this is through.

I’m also enjoying the discourse between the no nonsense reporter and Louis. I think Louis is enjoying the back and forth as well. Will the story ever be told outside of the vampire’s apartment or will he and his kind always be cast into the shadows of myth. Will the reporter, now that he’s facing the final years of his life risk his journalistic credentials to tell the story about scary creatures that “don’t exist”. We’ll see.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stealth

Sounds promising. I'm going to watch it within the next few days and will be back with my thoughts. Appears as if the show is in line with the impression that the trailer left, which is a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. purriwinkle

I’d be interested in your thoughts. Lestat isn’t exactly likable, IMO. He’s already pissed me off but I’d like to see how they continue to adapt the story.

7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Hola! It has been a long while since popping on here but I wanted to see if anyone watched Interview.

I have watched the first two episodes and I am loving it so far.

The production design, the music, the costumes. The way they have captured old world New Orleans. Visually this series is stunning!

Mad props to Jacob Anderson's Louis. Do you know how cringe inducing it is to have an actor attempt a Creole accent? Let's be clear - a creole accent is far different from a cajun accent. I am not from New Orleans. I am from the part of Louisiana called Acadiana - cajun. So my observations on the creole accent are also from an outsiders perspective. It seems, from all of the failed attempts by actors, that both accents are difficult to master. Honestly I have yet to hear either "mastered" by an actor. But I do give kudos to Mr. Anderson's attempt. His is by far one of the closest to being accurate that I have heard. And I applaud him once again for resisting the urge to go over the top with his take on the accent. His restraint is appreciated.

Both Jacob Anderson (Louis) and Scot Reid (Lestat) are excellent. They have great chemistry with one another. Their romantic relationship is just as believable as their antagonistic relationship. My television has smoke coming from the back when these two are on screen together. I look forward to gaining a bit more depth from Lestat other than being the "bad guy".

With the first two episodes we do get a great deal of Jacob's story. His families history, his current life in regard to his business, his familial relationships, his internal and external struggles. He is a fascinating character and Anderson plays him to perfection.

After two episodes my favorite relationship has to be between Louis and Daniel Molloy (Eric Bogosian). The push and pull between them is tension that translates quite well from the screen. Daniel is no longer a young man unsure of himself. He knows what he let slip by all those years ago with their first interview. And Louis is ready to face and share the hard truths of not only his long lost mortality but also his obviously lonely immortality. They both weigh on him and Anderson once again plays it to perfection. I would be happy to watch an entire episode that is simply these two characters having a conversation, having their interview.

I am both happy and sad that I watched the first two episodes. Happy because these first two episodes were damn good. Sad because I do not have a new episode to watch this weekend.

#7 Dnae, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Stealth

I've watched the first episode and I thought it was very well done. I was a little surprised how graphic it was for AMC. It felt closer to HBO level content.

The Louis casting is perfect. I was immediately immersed in the character both when he was speaking to Malloy and in the New Orleans timeline. They did a good job in portraying his lack of belonging in the world, particularly in the relationship with his mother, to make it believable that he would want to be turned.

You're right on Lestat. Not likable at all. And while I believe the actor is good, I think the portrayal feels a bit too feral for a vampire as old as he is. Contrast it with how suave Louis is with Malloy. You get the feel of an older, confident soul there. And I feel as if Lestat should be projecting that a bit more in the New Orleans timeline. But it's just one episode, and not a serious problem for me at this stage.

Eric Bogosian is very good too. I'm drawn in. Looking forward to the next one.

9. Stealth

Welcome back. I've only watched the first episode but I'm onboard with this one too. It's always fun to have a new, promising series when others end, or become derailed by bad writing. I thought it would only be House of the Dragon for me this year, but Interview makes it two.

What's intriguing here too is that while they did the film with Cruise and Pitt, this is a story that is best told in long form, so it's much better suited for a television series.

10. purriwinkle

I continue to like Louis’s character as he deals with his new found vampire powers and limitations. We’re actually seeing a generational conflict played out as Lestat is so old he’s lost any trace of his humanity and is saddled with the values he had in the time period when he was still alive. Louis will go along but only to a point.

His desire to remain in contact with his family is interesting. I don’t know where it will go, if anywhere, because it’s been so long since I read the book I’ve forgotten big chunks of it. As I said earlier, I was never all that impressed with Rice’s story but this show is holding my interest so far.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth

I like your description of Lestat as losing his humanity. At first I took it as him being more feral like a newer vampire, but this makes more sense. Also I was comparing him to Louis as we saw him in episode 1. But the trajectory of Louis is different with him evolving more in time and retaining some of his decency and humanity. Or maybe Louis had these qualities all along and Lestat did not. It's like when certain people get drunk they're terrible, but it's due more to them than not the excuse of the alcohol. This is sort of the same situation here with the vampires.

Jacob Anderson is great as Louis. I didn't realize he was this good of an actor when he played Grey Worm on GOT. That role was more limited in its scope though. He's very compelling here.

12. purriwinkle

Yep. I’ll agree that Lestat probably had some glaring character flaws before he was turned which were only exacerbated after he became a vamp. Lestat relishes in the the kill whereas it seems that it presents more of a moral dilemma for Louis….but the guy has to eat:confused:

13. purriwinkle

Epi three was a whole lot of, he loves me, he loves me not vamp style for most of it but Louis did something at the end…so in your face I could hardly believe it. It made me wonder if becoming a vampire dulled one’s mental acuity. Now I understand and sympathize with what precipitated it and personally thought he should have done away with the whole city council, but smartly!

Take that first body down to the Bayou and make it look like an animal attack. Pick the others off discretely to the point that they’re so spooked they don’t have time for that racist BS, but I guess that wouldn’t get us to next part of the story.

Frankly, Lestat seems bored already with the whole idea of business ownership or he could have planted alternate thoughts into the council leaders heads. Maybe have one shoot the others. That would have diverted their attentions elsewhere. Now we get to see what happens to change Louis world further.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealth

I'm behind. It's baseball playoff time so the only thing I've watched is House of the Dragon, but I'll catch up in the next day or so.

15. purriwinkle

I hear ya, I won’t be able to view the next episode of this or House until later Tuesday or God forbid Wednesday.

16. Stealth

Yeah, I agree. But I think what made Louis not think as rationally was that while he wanted revenge he was also clearly craving human blood, so I think both factors just reached a boiling point. When he's more level headed he's talking about them focusing on feeding on murderers etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. purriwinkle

Oh my….two vamps and a baby…er teen who is quite the little biter! As our surly reporter stated, a band aid on a shitty marriage. There’s a reason turning “children” is generally frowned upon. Louis and Lestat are learning that parenting a teen is no easy thing, especially when they’re not in full control of their emotions or actions. Claudia climbs a stiff learning curve and the two dads are not always up to the task, IMO. Lestat was particularly clueless, I thought, over the whole incident regarding her first love. This most surely is going to lead to trouble within their “nest”. Louis, treading his chosen moderate path, is going to be tested once again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stealth

It's been awhile since I saw the movie but I believe that Claudia was younger in it, around 12? This makes sense though for the TV side because the actress is older and you can't have her age demonstrably in Season 2. The scene when they were coffin shopping for her was hilarious. The store owner was like, "wait something is wrong here."

I'm enjoying the show so far. I believe there are only 7 episodes in this season. So we're past the halfway point now. I guess they were unsure how well it'd be received so they didn't do the typical ten. It has been renewed though for a second season.

19. purriwinkle

if you go back to the book, Claudia was only 5 or 6 yrs. old and described as looking like a little painted porcelain doll. While they lived together happily as a family for many years, part of the resentment she eventually developed towards Lestat was that her mind grew up, if you will, but she was trapped in the body of a child.

In the movie they aged her up to about 10 or 11 but Kirsten Dunst still looked like a little girl. Having aged her up to around 14 in this show, to me, is questionable because as we saw she’s able to pass as an older teen who was able to attract a boyfriend.

Perhaps they’ll frame the source of animosity between her and Lestat around the callous way he handled how she ended up killing the boyfriend. Rather than comforting her and gently using it as a learning experience he further traumatized her.

Yeah, I thought shopping for her coffin was funny too, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  20. purriwinkle

I rather liked how an older version of Claudia still works to bring out the domestic troubles within this weird nest. After being an out of control teen vamp, she seems to have grown up somewhat since she struck out on her own. Her experiences while going to college in an attempt to discover more of the origins of vampires and her realization as to why Louis wanted to save her, has led her to see just how nasty they can be…..to each other. Lestat is impossible right now and Claudia seems intent on rescuing Louis from his influence. We’ll see what happens.