Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Into the Badlands

Discussion in 'General AMC' started by tink, Nov 16, 2015.

1. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I liked it. It was beautifully shot, and the martial arts were great. Hopefully the story will be as well done.

And Daniel Wu is not hard to look at.

2. Lupey

Lupey Member

It reminded me of all those Sunday martial arts matinees I watched as a kid on TV38.

3. asdf

asdf Member

The fight scenes are amazing not the likes of any you've ever seen on the small screen. It shows since they've brought the choreographer from Kill Bill, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, etc.

#3 asdf, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  4. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl Member

5. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

It's good. The fighting is something to see alright but if it's gonna hold me the story has got to be interesting as well. So far it has been.

BUT I wish to hell they would hurry and move it out of it's current time slot. I like to watch TTD right after TWD, not an hour later.

#5 purriwinkle, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

So far I really like it. One of the scenes in episode two reminded me a of kill bill a little bit, which I thought was pretty cool.

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I just spent my Sunday afternoon binge watching the first 3 episodes. I thought I would absolutely hate this show, thinking it would be action-heavy and plot-weak. I was pleasantly surprised to that it is pretty plot driven. I don't love it, but it was entertaining enough so far. I'll watch the 4th episode tonight. Depending on how it unfolds, I think this has the potential to become a good show. Too early to tell for me. But its better than what I expected from the action sequence previews. While I appreciate the art that goes into those fight scenes, they still bore me. I can't find myself in suspense during a fight where its obvious the good guy will win. :p

8. Neuropyramidal

Oh, and did anyone notice that M.K's friend Bale is the same actor who played Albert, from Terminus? Bemjamin Papac.

9. Neuropyramidal

lol, in other news, this forum section has subsections reserved for The Pitch and Small Town Security, but not Better Call Saul, Humans, Into the Badlands, and Preacher. 2012 called. It wants its relevancy back. :p

#9 Neuropyramidal, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  10. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Yeah I noticed that too. WTF.

I like the martial arts bits just for the beauty of them, not because they're suspenseful. The storyline so far is interesting. Not mesmerizing, but I am in it for at least a while longer.

11. purriwinkle

Ok, the fighting is surreal but for some reason I like to watch the choreography, although I have a sneaking suspicion that none of the main characters will meet their end, at least not right away.

I find I rather like the Widow and cheer her on, as long as her actions don't put Sonny in danger, lol. Baron Quinn gives me the creeps like that plantation owner Michael Fassbender played in 12 Yrs. a slave, but it's also like watching Dallas in a parallel universe. Weird.

BUT I find the moral and strategical challenges faced by the characters interesting. There's quite a bit of intrigue going on. I'll finish the first season and see where they take it.

12. Neuropyramidal

Fair episode, aside from the totally cliche and contrived ending where sonny chose to be distracted by the M.K/Tilda fight, and leave The Widow unattended so she could escape.

13. purriwinkle

While that may indeed be cliche, I rather like to think it was a deliberate move to let The Widow escape so he could further observe and mull over what was happening between MK and Tilda. While the widows capture is important, especially since he's still Qhuinn's main clipper and he's been charged with the deed, Sonny needs to know how to control MK's inner hulk and to figure out what part, if any, Tilda will play in his plans which frankly throws a big wrench into everything considering she's team Widow. I worry more that Qhuinn seemed to have observed the whole affair as well and by the look on his face, is getting ideas...baaad ideas.

Let's not forget Grandpa. He seems to know what's going on as well and he'll be trying to get at MK too who he categorized as a "dark one" that needed to be cleansed. Hmmm and the River King wants MK's head as well...this'll get dicey.

I should have known better but for a brief moment I thought Lydia and Jade were going to cooperate. Hah!! Jade probably thought so too but when Lydia was there when Qhuinn woke up and she started talking about how she was going to be the one at his side till the end, I though, uh oh, but I didn't think she would strike so soon. While Qhuinn's not gonna be happy, I wonder what Ryder's reaction will be?

14. tink

tink Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I believe Jade is setting Lydia up to make it look like Lydia was the poisoner, when it was really Jade - who took just enough to appear to have been poisoned, but not enough to kill her. Remember Jade spoke to that servant woman about how Lydia had poisoned Quinn's second wife.

15. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, but capturing The Widow is a rare opportunity while he could set up a situation for M.K to use and control his power anytime. I can't quite buy that scene, but the rest of the episode I liked.

I agree, this is what I felt too. Too convenient that it happened while she was visiting Qhuinn.

16. purriwinkle

ooh, I do. Is little Jade that devious? Mebbe. Lydia knows she's been sleeping with Ryder so she'd be eliminating that threat. I mean who wants number 1 wife holding that over her head? But does she want the father or the son? Could be like the guy in the wheelchair....she wants whoever wins.

17. purriwinkle

Can't have The Widow killed too soon. IF Tilda is the key, and it looks like she is, killing her "mother" isn't going to endear her to Sonny's plans of using MK to help keep Veil and the baby safe while they flee. I mean the whole thing is a mess to begin with. It's obvious the kids have feelings for each other, and like Capulets and Montagues it's gonna be a hell of a time letting them be together. Under the current system it can't happen and Sonny is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Look what happened when MK saw Tilda getting beat up. So how does Sonny go about appearing loyal when in fact he's planning "treason"? He fights Qhuinn's enemies but I think not whole heartedly depending on the circumstances. Hence the escape. The trick will be to get out while every faction in the badlands is looking to get you, but we'll see.

#17 purriwinkle, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  18. Neuropyramidal

Captured, not killed. If anything, Sonny could have secured The Widow, and then made a show of willingly letting her go in front of Tilda, which would have gained Tilda's trust even more, rather than thinking they just escaped luckily. Now she probably doesn't trust sonny much. I don't think Sonny thought any of those things through, I think he just messed up, and she escaped. He went after them when he realized The Widow was gone.

19. purriwinkle

ok, you're probably right that Sonny didn't go through that thought process. He was going to fight The Widow to the death per his instructions from Quinn that he wanted her guts strung over the wall or something like that. However he has a vested interest in MK. He's trying to train his colt to control his power, right ? So yeah, he got distracted when he saw the effect Tilda had on MK. MK had told him but had he actually observed it before? So we'll call it a screw up technically but you have to admit that when MK does his thing it's arresting. Sonny has the outline of a plan but he doesn't have all the loose ends tied up so in many ways he's playing it by ear. Sooner or later he's gonna have to put some thought into what to do with the Tilda/MK connection though.

Apparently I'm a sap for love and revolution in the Badlands. *rolls eyes*

20. asdf

asdf Member

Awesome finale. Quinn may have lead led MK to the ambush to do his bidding on the defector Ryder and Baron Jacobee/Zepher. Probably caught wind of it the past few days of the brewing storm hence the metaphor, 'the changing smell of the air before the lightning strike,' he explained to MK. Brilliant foreshadow.

Damn, I hate to see a certain demise. The character was too dastardly appealing to write out just like that. Kind of hack way to go. Almost kind of renders many of the plot points moot.

Anyways, fight scene was sublime if u r into Wuxia/Wire Fu. Just loved it. Damn, Next season is how long from now?

#20 asdf, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015