Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Invasion

Discussion in 'Novels and Paperbacks' started by Neuropyramidal, Mar 21, 2015.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

So Neuro have you had a chance to read this book yet (believe it was supposed to be released this week)? Is it worth getting at all or is it just as bad as the previous one? I'm heavily into Star Wars novels right now so I wouldn't be reading this for a while anyway but just curious if Invasion is any kind of improvement over Descent.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I somehow never got a notification for this quote.

And no, I actually haven't ordered it yet. I'm just totally not motivated lol. But alas, its the TWD franchise and I'm a sucker, so perhaps I'll order it this weekend.

3. Neuropyramidal

I just finally ordered this book online [I usually try to support my local bookstore on these purchases, but as of yesterday he still didn't have it, so screw him :p]. You will have my review as soon as it arrives.

4. Neuropyramidal

This finally arrived in my mailbox today, and I'm currently on page 50. Still a bit early to tell, but I'm suspecting we have another dud here. So far the first 50 pages are basically a rehash of the episodes Live Bait and Dead Weight, with Jeremiah playing the part of the governor. And Bonansinga's writing style is sometimes the literary equivalent of fingernails on the chalk board. He's toned down the absurd overuse of metaphors a bit, but I still just can't bond with his style.

I've already noticed a couple mistakes, and one of them is so glaring I don't know how his editors missed it. He introduced a new character, claiming he was a pipe fitter from Tallahassee. ONE PAGE later ONE. PAGE. LATER, he claims this exact same man was a used gun store owner from Jacksonville, lol.

5. lastcat3

Thanks Neuro. I actually bought it myself as well but probably will not read it for awhile. There are about two or three other books I want to get to first.

6. Neuropyramidal

I was reading The Complete Ghost Stories of Charles Dickens when this book arrived, and I decided to take a break from that to read Invasion, which is like a vacation for the brain.

7. Neuropyramidal

I really think that Jay and his editors don't put an ounce of thought into some of their plot arcs. I just read a sequence where two people get into a car, with the goal of travelling as far south as they can, to a place they've never been before to find supplies. The gas gauge on the RAV4 they are driving is 3/4 full when they start. They drive straight until they run out of gas [because they aren't paying attention, apparently. How do you run out of gas while travelling in a ZA, when you actually have to make sure you keep half the gas you started with in the tank, in order to get back????]. But that's not the really ridiculous part. Here's the physically impossible part: Even though it was early evening when they ran out of gas, THEY MANAGE TO WALK BACK HOME BEFORE SUNDOWN THE SAME DAY!

They drove straight, far enough to run out of gas when they started with a 3/4 full tank [200+ miles], and they still walk back home within 3 hours or so. Jay Bonansinga's characters apparently have an average walking speed of about 75 miles an hour.

8. Neuropyramidal

Finally picked up the book again tonite and finished it. I'm not sure what is worse, the plotholes and factual errors, or the repeated pattern of survivors being put in hopeless situations, but then managing to survive through almost magical means.

Mild Spoiler: Perhaps the most glaring error in the book [tied with the one I mentioned in the last post]. Lilly and another man [the driver] are riding in a tow truck that crashes and lands on its side. Completely on its side. The driver is mortally wounded, and they are in the middle of nowhere. A few pages later, we see Lilly driving down the road in the same tow truck, no explanation whatsoever of how she got it back on its wheels, all by herself.

In another chapter, a person views a horde through binoculars, and calculates that at they speed they are walking, the walkers will arrive at their camp in 7 or 8 hours. Maybe a page later, he arrives back at his camp, and he says 30 minutes have passed since he saw the horde, which means they will be at camp in about one hour or less. ;/

#28 Neuropyramidal, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  9. Jmverhaalen

Jmverhaalen Member

*****Spoiler*****

So I finished it a few nights ago and Jay is really messing these books up. It's like he doesn't understand what the Walking Dead Universe is about. Obviously zombies are not real and it does take a bit to believe a world filled with them but the Walking Dead has always gravitated toward realistic situations when dealing with the zombies. Jay has made these stories totally unbelievable.

The worst of all was the Fast and Furious battle scene between her and the "Preacher" at the end of the story. When I was reading it, I was thinking that she was going to shoot out the wheels or maybe shoot up the driver side window which would of been fine, very believable. Then when she told the driver to ram him I was like "No shes not going to jump from her car to his!" She did and it was as silly as I expected. Kirkman, what does this guy have over you for you to let him publish this 2nd rate zombie fiction in the name of our beloved Walking Dead?

Secondly, I found it really odd that NO ONE in the whole group was terrified when Lilly has The Preacher hung up across the truck. I get it, that she was trying to lead zombies away from Woodberry, but isn't she just doing the same terrifying things The Preacher was just doing? I was hoping that this was going to be the Transformation(Much like Shane or the Governor in the TV series) into blood thirty leader, but no, everyone didn't even question her actions. I know we have seen the story line before but Jay's crap is so bad, i'm willing to take rehashed story lines over the generic crap he spews out.

I guess one plus is this story was a bit better then Jay's first WD Novel. Also I guess Bob bit the dust. That was a surprise and I have always wanted to see a death on WD from Natural causes. We don't seem to have people ever dealing with cancer of things like that.

3.5 out 10.

10. Neuropyramidal

Not to mention, after the truck tipped over, how did Lilly get it right side up again by herself???

But what do we expect from an author who thinks the Underground Railroad was actually a system of underground tunnels that connected cities across the U.S....

11. Jmverhaalen

Jmverhaalen Member

Like why would kirkman choose this clown to continue the WD novels? Aren't these suppose to be extensions of the comics? The next book I think is the last Jay is contracted to write I believe. I really hope he either goes back to doing them himself or decides to get a new author, or even an undiscovered auther that understands the WD universe. Jay's WD books are pure generic action that just aren't very good.

#31 Jmverhaalen, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  12. Neuropyramidal

unfortunately he is contracted for 2 more novels.

13. lastcat3

I think this book might be being pushed further and further back on my to read list. It's a shame though that they aren't seeming to put much effort into the novels anylonger. I'm big into reading Star Wars novels and they do a good job in expanding the universe and put effort into telling good stories. Not so with Walking Dead anylonger. Once they got finished telling The Governor's and Lilly's backstories they just stopped caring it seems.

14. Neuropyramidal

I think Kirkman was actually part of the creative process for the first 2 books. He may have written the outline for them, and Jay filled in the details. The third and fourth were basically Kirkman's comic plot. Since then, Jay has basically been on his own. And it shows. Had I been Kirkman, after the 4th book was published, I would have said "okay, that was the story we wanted to tell. Done".

15. lastcat3

Does make me wonder how much Kirkman really cares about the stuff outside of the comic and tv shows. Perhaps if they set their novel series to take place in the tv show universe and AMC was a part of it they would police it a little more and make sure things were being put out there of a little higher quality than what we have gotten for these stories set in the comic universe.

Now granted TellTale has put out some quality stuff but they have a little more money invested into their series than whatever publishing company is putting out these books.

#35 lastcat3, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  16. Jmverhaalen

Jmverhaalen Member

Damn

TellTale has but out some really good WD games. Season 1 and 2 were great, also the show has had some great parts to it that had nothing to do with the comic so this leads me to think the problem is Jay. He sucks,he's a hack, and I said it before, HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE WALKING UNIVERSE!!! Even Fear the Walking Dead does a good job of being in the WD family despite having a different feel to it.

I'll buy them cause I love anything Walking Dead but man, but seriously, I have read some fan fiction with better characters then Jay's Gar-Bean-O.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

The Telltale game is incredible. Season 1 though was much better than the second one. They're really taking their time though with Season 3 and I heard it's going to be a longer game, similar to the first one.

Had to quit the book series after Descent. The whole story with the crazy Reverend and his group was too much. Such poor writing.

18. lastcat3

I actually liked the second game better than the first. I can see why people didn't like it as much because the characters were all pretty emotionless. The way I looked at it though is the story of season 2 took place about two years into the apocalypse so the characters should have been emotionless.

19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

My problem was that the new characters in Season 2 weren't very likable. Part of that problem is you had adults making Clementine do all of the dangerous stuff while they sat around waiting to be rescued.

Also, after saying I would stop reading the Bonansinga series, someone gave me Invasion as a Christmas gift so I'm going to end up reading it after all.

20. Jay Bonansinga

Hey everyone, I'm Jay Bonansinga the writer of the beloved Walking Dead Novels and the guy that came up with a lot of your favorite parts in the Comic and the TV show. Despite these Novels being critically acclaimed and New York Times best sellers there is always "that one guy" that has to criticize. How many people talked nonsense about War and Peace, Of Mice and Men, and even Romeo and Juliet? Now I am not actually writing this for the one person(that most likely made many accounts to criticize my New York Time Best Sellers) but for all the Bonananics(My hundreds of millions rabid fans) that would like to take up arms against the man or women or transgender. Don't do it! Please I beg you. Don't fault this human being for making an error that is basically wrong fundamentally against humanity. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Ashleigh Morris. She is a young women that is allergic to water! Is that a 1 and 7 billion case? Maybe, all I know is that her case and the one person that doesn't like books(actual reason jealously is the more likely culprit) have a lot in common.

Thank You~Jay