Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is Call of Duty easy to play, but hard to master?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty & FPS News and Discussion' started by Futurelly, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Futurelly

Futurelly Well-Known Member

So, before I go to sleep, I wanted to ask this question, because I'm in a debate.

I've started playing Call of Duty with World at War on Wii, and let me tell you, ironically, it was difficult playing a FPS with the Wii remote. However, over time, I started to just "get good" at the game.

I then got an Xbox 360 bundled with Modern Warfare 2. I'm thinking "okay, I understand Call of Duty a little bit", but got wrecked in MW2's beginning. Could've been the adjusting to a new controller scheme.

So, after playing World at War, MW2, MW3, Black Ops, Black Ops 2, Ghosts, Titanfall, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 1943, Homefront, and reaching very high ranks at a some what fast pace, you'd think you'd be naturally good at FPSs.

So my question again, is Call of Duty an easy to play, but hard to master type of game series? Is it easy because you consider yourself naturally good at FPS? What constitutes mastering Call of Duty? K/D? Pub Stomping? Being MLG? Can anyone pick up the game and just be good at it?

2. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

Is CoD MP easy to play and hard to master? Absolutely.

CoD is one of the few games where your rank and the items you've unlocked doesn't guarantee victory, or even give you a clear advantage over other players. I remember playing my first match in CoD:MW3, late at night on release day. I was in a lobby with a player that had played all day and was already level 80 with everything unlocked. At the end of the match, I finished in 1st place (only by 100 points) and the level 80 player finished in 7th place. I believe my experience from playing past CoD MP modes was the reason that was possible. My understanding of the way the previous games played, was a huge help in my success. Anyone can win in CoD's MP, regardless of what they're using in the game. And regardless of whether you win or lose, you never feel that beating any particular player is impossible, due to the items they've chosen.

However, in order to be able to call yourself a master of the game, you have to be able to consistently perform well. In my opinion, if you find yourself earning all 3 of your chosen killstreaks more than once in a match, you can call yourself a decent player. If you choose the high end killstreaks and you can earn all 3 of them multiple times in a match (Support killstreaks excluded), you're clearly demonstrating a level of understanding of the game, that most people never will.

There are few other games that have achieved such a balance between making the gameplay challenging for veterans, while at the same time being fun for newcomers. Most FPS MP games reward you for the time you've invested in them, by giving the player increasingly more powerful and useful items, which makes gameplay very intimidating and demoralising for new players . The BF games instantly spring to mind. My first online match of BF3 was unbelievably unfair. I tried playing BF3's MP one day after release. The lobby was full of players that were already level 25 and higher, which gave them access to more useful equipment and more powerful weapons. As a result, I managed to get 2 kills in the entire match, with no less than 15 deaths. The majority of those deaths were caused by people shining flashlights in my eyes so I couldn't see them. And when would I be able to use the flashlight? At level 20 (I think). Where's my motivation to keep playing, when the item I need to level the playing field is so far away? And at the pace I was gaining XP, it would take an ice age to actually reach that level. Add to that the fact that during that time, the players who already had the flashlight, would be quickly earning the XP they needed to access the better equipment of the higher levels at a much faster rate, placing me at a huge disadvantage. I would have no chance of success against these players, which in turn makes the game no fun for me.

CoD MP had me hooked from CoD4. The CoD games have always been fun (if a little frustrating at times) because they're so easy to pick up and play, but at the same time offering a challenge to those that need it. I hope that doesn't change anytime soon...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bullet Magnet

Bullet Magnet Well-Known Member

I enjoyed your well thought out answer WarTyger, and I can agree with that assessment easily.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Timeisrelative

Timeisrelative New Member

It is easy to play, but hard to master at a competitive level. Call of Duty is more about fast reactions rather than precision. Pretty much every weapon kill relatively fast, so its the player that spots the other player first and have quicker movement and faster on the trigger that usually gets the kill.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

If the lag isn't playing favourites, of course...