Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

is our group still the good guys?

Discussion in 'Episode 613 - The Same Boat' started by msmith73, Mar 13, 2016.

1. msmith73

msmith73 Member

think about it. Rick kills at the drop of a hat. He has no proof that Negan and his men are evil. He is only killing them for the food from the Hilltop. I kinda prefer the story-line in the books. Rick has more justification for his actions, other than being a hired gun.

2. Robert Olalo

Robert Olalo New Member

To quote a character from another show: "Maybe there are no good guys."

3. shhh its me

shhh its me Member

Except..... Negan's men tried to kill Daryl , Abe and Sasha , twice with no provocation. They also believed Hilltop (based on the info from Abe ,Daryl and Sasha interaction) that Negan's group murdered a person from their group brutally in front of them in order to start a "protection" racket. They told Abe and Sasha that was their norm. I think if not for that previous interaction it would be a lot more mercenary, but I think they were already justified to look for Negan's group with "We have to kill them." in mind.

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

That's not true at all. He knows they were about to kill Abe and Sasha just to 'make a point'. He knows they sent Ethan to kill Gregory just to 'make a point'. He knows they beat a 16 year old to death in front of the Hilltopians [Hilltopoids? Hilltites?], and he knows they force other groups into deals whether they want to make them or not, with murder as a consequence of refusal.

The main reason they killed this Savior outpost was, as Aaron put it, because if they didn't attack them, the saviors would have eventually done the same to us. They had to preemptively eliminate the threat.

In summation, yes, we are still the good guys. And frankly, I think that's quite clear.

5. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I like "Hilltites" for two reasons:

1) It reminds me of the Hitties, and I like ancient civilizations.
    2) Remove "Hill" and "es", and I feel like a 5 year old for getting amused by that.

6. ColorsVersatile

I think the same.
    And I think they stopped being good guys long ago, when Randall was killed.

7. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

No doubt the voice of Herschel is sorely needed. Rick is a man of many gifts but wisdom isn't one.

8. MegaMattMKV

MegaMattMKV Member

It's morally ambiguous which I think is a good place for a show like this to be because it creates a lot of discussion. There are both 'bad' and 'good' members of Rick's group just like Negan's I imagine, maybe less good in the latter at this rate, but the women we met tonight were not all horrible and all of them showed some degree of compassion for Maggie and Carol even if it was to meet their own end.

I'm pretty sure if we were in the perspective of the groups and people Rick has killed he would seem like a monster to us, but it's more complicated than that and that's why Rick is a great character and The Walking Dead is a great show.

#8 MegaMattMKV, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  9. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

I keep reading that in the comics
    but all I keep wondering is how
    after all the deaths Rick's groups has caused Negan

#9 DGribble19, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  10. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Of course we're the good guys. If you ask us.

11. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

If the deal between Rick and Paula did go through as agreed, do you think Rick will honor his words and let the 5 saviours go away, assuming the incoming saviour scout crew did not arrive in time to interfere?

12. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I think we're still the good guys, but things are much more gray than they used to be. The world has changed a lot since the earlier days when everyone was still trying to cling to the old sense of morality and ethics.

I think the good guy vs. bad guy debate is a bit senseless because it's very subjective. Not to enact Godwin's Law or anything, but there were plenty of Nazis that genuinely thought they were doing a good thing. The only thing that matters in a ZA is staying alive, and Rick's group goes about it in a far more ethical way than most groups we've seen.

The Saviors tried to kill Sasha, Abe, and Daryl. They killed someone from Hilltop, and made someone else come back to kill another person at Hilltop while they held someone prisoner. It would have only been a matter of time before they showed up at Alexandria and caused a big problem. They're still the good guys, but sometimes the good guys still have to do bad things.

13. ColorsVersatile

But the thing is that all the "bad guys" we encountered since Woodbury, no matter what they back stories are, are all complete psychos!
    I mean the claimers, the cannibals (because you know, hunting down rare humans is easier to hunt or grow crops to survive?), and lastly the wolves?

When compared to that, it is an easy thing to be the lesser of two devils.

And the "good guys" like Hilltop and Alexandria are all portrayed as defenceless pups (until King Rick shows up of course, and teach them how to be badasses and survive... like what, 2 years into the Apocalypse?)

It would truly be interesting if Rick's group was facing a similar group: a tough one, knowing how to fight and survive, and yet ethical?

14. Zombie_Penguin

They are all just trying to survive the best they know how

15. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

While they're still technically the "good guys" Gimple and Co. have clearly opened up the dialogue about where the line is, and they've even suggested the group might have crossed it. We've had intentional references to the Governor in things Rick has done. There are shades of gray now in the show, and I like it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tara La Reine

Tara La Reine Member

The show is going about the whole thing a bit differently. Rick and Co. are being more proactive, which is what's causing a lot of this debate about morality.

17. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

you wouldn't want to kill everyone

18. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Nope

19. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

Yes they are still the good guys. The thing is, they would not be in this world. But in that ZA world with so many with a "take anything we want from anybody that is weaker" mentality, they are. The group is not a threat to any one. They just want to be able to live peacefully while trying to start over. But they are all about erasing threats to them. If you threaten them or attack them, then you get what you get. Did they kill the Hilltoppers? No. Did they kill the Terminites and Joe's gang? Yep. Make yourself a threat to them then you will end up dead.

20. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

There is no good people in real life either or not many that are pure good at heart. Just choices and actions that make for good deeds. Ricks gang is as far as good and not that stupid you get. Morgan can be seen as good if we ignore his passed but Morgans action are inherently ending up as evil since he causes the death and destruction of so much by letting the more pure evil and lost, insane and crazy souls to live.

Also if Ricks group find a similar group, with ethics, they will probably coexist and destroy Negan in an afternoon over supper in the evening.