Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is Strand Right?

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - Monster' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

"We don't know" is the bottom line in a desperate situation.

LA was bombed, they've got only so much fuel and food on the boat and a destination to reach in tact.

Other survivors? "We don't know anything about them".

And that's where it ends.

Don't hurt them, but don't take risk upon yourself. I don't find this position as filled with malice or evil. Malice/Evil are the pirates that are coming.

2. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I'll play devil's advocate.

I believe Strand said the boat has a range of 300 miles.
    Strand said the boat can travel 20 knots (which is 23 MPH)
    I believe they are in the LA area. I think it would be about 150ish miles to San Diego.

So its about a days trip lets say.

The thing is people are assuming they are going to be on this yacht for a while. Having a 300 mile range there has to be a plan to move from this gas guzzler to something else. Why not pick up people as you go for the short trip? once there if not safe they could be used to collect resources find alternate ways to travel.

Only hiccup in my logic is Gas only lasts about 90 days before it is no good.
    TWD has ignored this so maybe FTWD will as well and they can just keep refueling the yacht and potentially plan to stay on it forever.

3. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

San Diego Navel base is a good plan.
    One of the Largest US Naval bases.
    HQ of the Pacific fleet.

The base is basically an island with 2 ways on.

4. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

After seeing what the military did in LA with "Cobalt".. I would not be so quick to trust in going to a military base.. They are only about 35 miles away from approx 15 Channel Islands.. They can always head down to SD if need be..

5. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I'm wondering if the Log book will show that the shot up boat had traveled to San Diego and was turned away/shot at/is over run with the undead.
    Would help explain why the "pirates" set up between LA and SD. If the "pirates" went to SD and its not safe then whats the next move? move on to another place they think is safe, but they clearly have a smaller boat (faster moving) so maybe that boat is not capable of covering large distances. Setting up between the largest population and largest naval base would net them a lot of people on the water.

I'm hoping this whole "pirate" thing is not what it seems. Seems to me to be too much of a jump to go from a couple of weeks in the ZA to setting up shop and setting traps.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

He said it has a 3000 mile range. Which is about right for a large fuel efficient yacht if they move at a slow and steady pace that doesn't tax the engine.

And gas lasts a lot longer than 90 days. It might have less than optimal performance after a few months, but it will serve its purpose much longer than that.

7. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I'm just saying that if I was Strand I would be thinking what's the difference between LA and SD?

LA became a major city that was taken over by the military, which eventually carried out Operation Cobalt... I would have to believe the same situation would have taken place in SD as well, and would be thinking a city is the last place I want to go..

As far as "Pirates" go. They can't be like real Pirates yet....but I'm sure desperate people who made a last minute run for their lives, and are willing to do anything to survive....who are hungry, without much supplies could have the same effect as Pirates..

8. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

oh did he say 3000. I guess that would make sense if he had a full tank.

Gas without ethanol will last about 90 days. (30 days if ethanol in it)
    In my experience using old gas in lawnmowers, snowmobiles, snowblowers etc... doesn't give you bad performance it gives you no performance haha.

They do say to add the old gas to a 3/4 (fresh gas) of a tank in a modern car and you will not notice. But that is not an option during the ZA.

This is a bit of a moot discussion as i realize a boat that size is most likely using diesel which will last up to a year without additives, but still after a year no gas/diesel powered vehicles are going to be able to run.

9. Neuropyramidal

Gas lasts much longer than 90 days.

10. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

The old gas expiration date debate rears it's ugly head again.

11. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

Oh i didn't realize there was a debate. I thought it was just accepted that in the TWD show it lasted forever and people are willing to live with that because running around with out vehicles would make things a little slow. I just thought in this coastal FTWD show we might see people resorting to using sail boats instead.

I've had first hand experience with gas going bad even with fuel stabilizer within the end of winter to start of winter.

12. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

No prob... It's just that on TWD they are 2 years into the ZA and seem to have no problem finding all the gas they need...

13. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Why not lose your ride in many variable scenario's?

14. Neuropyramidal

In an open air container that allows a lot of moister to accumulate gas goes bad faster. But even in my regular 7 gallon gas container I use for my lawn mowers, the gas is fine in the spring, after not using it for 6 months or so. Inside a modern engine that keeps it more moisture free and air tight, gas can be be usable for 1-2 years, or even longer. Nobody would want to use 2 year old gas in their vehicles in our world, for risk of damaging the engine, but in a ZA, it would serve its purpose for 2 years, and even longer in some cases.

15. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

Not to be a picker of nits, but Abigail has twin turbo diesels.

16. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I guess because I'm thinking of this as the start and not as someone who has seen all of TWD.
    If this was Season 1 of the walking dead and some one was on a radio saying hey come help me we probably would not think ohh this is going to end badly.

No one stole the old mans RV in TWD. They all worked together had multiple vehicles even worked together to repair the RV etc...

17. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

The dynamics are a lot different... Strand feels that they have it made in the shade on his yacht.. Space is very limited, not like the group being on land..

18. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I am pretty new to this forum so I don't know if I should do this or not but here we go:

"
    how long does diesel last

1. 1 year

Exxon states that "diesel fuel can be stored 6 months to 1 year without significant fuel degradation if you keep it clean, cool and dry." Chevron adds that diesel fuel can be stored longer than a year under certain conditions: First, the fuel was purchased clean and dry from a reliable supplier.
    "

"
    how long does gas last
    About 3-5 months depending on where it's kept. If you add a fuel stabilizer it'll last 6-8 months. You only have to add a small amount, and it's sold in small bottles at convenience stores, auto stores, etc. Storage of gasoline in the tank recommends a maximum of one year.
    "

I have added fuel stabilizer to gas in a snowmobile.
    Stored in an large attached garage during the off season.
    Cleaned the carbs Go to start in December and it wont fire.
    Drain the tank. Gas is orange ish. put fresh gas in fires right up.
    ****basically i have had the same thing happen with a snowblower.

This was gas with ethanol in it which i understand deteriorates faster then gas with out ethanol.

19. Wrecker

Wrecker Member

I agree Strand, the el Salvadorian and us as viewers are less trusting of people we don't know.

We as viewers are this way because we have seen TWD.

But hey this Jack guy might be the FTWD's Glenn...
    That boat full of people might have been the FTWD's Magie and her family.

So is Strand right?
    Two years into the ZA yeah forsure.
    2 weeks into the ZA hmmmm they are gonna need more then a handful of people in order to survive long term if TWD has taught us anything.

20. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I think in general it is accepted that if you think the Dead eating the Living makes any sense then there is no real reason to nitpick details about the actual life of fuel in our present real world!

Know what I mean?