Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is that it for the military?

Discussion in 'Episode 303 - Walk with Me' started by reddz95, Oct 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. raven n

raven n Well-Known Member

Nope. That one that crashed was military and black. The one Rick saw was lighter-colored and smaller.

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess so now. I really thought it was going to be something better though.

3. raven n

Nope. That one that crashed was military and black. The one Rick saw was lighter-colored and smaller.

4. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

for TWD it all comes down to turning upon death. one person dies that they don't know about and panic spreads. that enclosed fort suddenly doesn't seem so safe. It could go either way. it's all to easy to have it crumble down.

5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

There's hope yet!!

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

nope.

7. raven n

Absolutely. Nothing is ever going to be perfectly safe or foolproof.

8. rhizin

rhizin Member

The US military isn't that great when it comes to a threat like this. All they can do well is bombing stuff. They bombed their own cities. Didn't help much obviously. Every good guerilla troup would have better chances, hell even a group of medieval fighting men used to stabby things of all kinds and able to survive on their own. Also a lot of the US military is stationd in foreign lands, not at home. And at home the supply lines break down pretty fast. There are 327.774.344 americans out there. That is a lot of walkers, even if only 70% turned.

9. DavidDavidaon

DavidDavidaon Active Member

(Yeah I know I'm replying to a very old thread with one recent reply)
    Through the later seasons I'm surprised they didn't run into more national.guard troops. Almost every single military man and woman appears to have vanished.
    Unless the majority of the military were given evac sites I would have expected significantly more soldiers/national guardsmen going AWOL.

Either they were written out for.plot reasons (a few (overrun) military bases have shown up since season 3) and (season 9 spoiler)
    hint that the military is still active somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if Raven Rock and Cheyenne mountain (as well as other bunker complexes) were inhabited by government officials and military generals. I also wouldn't be surprised if the military had fallen back on a single, low population city which can be walled walled off quickly and established a (semi secret) "Zone 1" containing military families and some lucky civilians.
    IIRC the US has got papers instructing them on how to act in (highly unlikely) situations (such as alien invasion and (IIRC) a zombie apocalypse) as these papers give good form for training in case of invasion or large scale uncontrollable illness.
    I would assume that in the event of a zombie apocalypse the military would pull back to one or two safe zones and love out of there until any infection burned itself out, after which they would retake control of the nation when the time was ideal.

It would explain the lack of a cohesive military presence. They could have fallen back to somewhere like Alaska where walkers would simply freeze solid whilst using satellites to check for the all clear.

10. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

There is no feasible way the zombies from the Walking Dead could bring the downfall of society. They are too slow, too stupid and people take way too long to turn into a zombie.

I just ignore that fact and enjoy the show. Sometimes I just convince myself that there was a mass dying off of people from a sickness first and then they turned into zombies.

Now face the zombies from Black Summer and then I can see the military and society falling.

11. DavidDavidaon

Well if you assume that a small percentage of people died from infection from the zombie virus in the first few months it would explain it's spread throughout the world. Though this isn't backed up in.the series lore.
    That being said, Black Summer was awful. I won't go into details, but the characters are very poorly written, I could only get 2 and a half episodes before giving up.

From mire more r TWD episodes it seems that the military is still intact however. They have just moved away from infected areas. I would assume that the US, Russia, England and other major world powers all have contingency plans that follow something like a deadly viral outbreak. For example the US has Raven Rock and Cheyenne mountain, England still has some massive WWII/cold war era deep shelters and Switzerland is probably the best prepared nation in the world, with every cold war house requiring a fallout shelter and huge shelter complexes (We're talking Fallout vault size here) built for the public in the event of CBRN attacks during the cold war.
    I would say the military is sitting sipping cocktails on Bikini Atoll (well, probably somewhere less heavily irradiated) until the population of walkers drops sharply enough for them to simply stroll back in and claim the US.

What puzzles me is that major population centres weren't nuked. World government's don't have any problem with a little "collateral damage" so long as they get to live.

12. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

I agree they are holed up somewhere. They would have at least a decade of supplies. If they only went outside the bunker to grow crops and get fresh water, they could extend that quite a bit. Even if they waited out the initial walker population explosion, they dont die immediately so it would take years for them to even consider moving outside of the safety zone.

Saying Stuff and Thangs!!

13. DeadZedHead

I think there are probably quite a bit more military personnel left but like Rick no longer where the uniform. Just communities like everyone else

Saying Stuff and Thangs!!

14. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

I'm going to have to disagree. A small number of the population would not be enough to cause a world collapse in my opinion. The walkers are too slow and the time it takes for someone to turn can be many hours. It' all good fun and I don't over think it too much but it's not feasible for slow shambling zombies to overrun a city.

Sorry you didn't like Black Summer. I totally loved it. It is the type of show where it's not about the people but instead the main character is the horror of the zombie apocalypse. People are way too freaked out to show any "character" moments and I felt it was one of the most realistic portrayals on the screen.

I loved how they showed a bunch of scared, untrained people with automatic weapons shooting each other by mistake. You hardly ever see that on TV and that's what would happen in my opinion. The world is not filled with Rambos.

15. DavidDavidaon

As I said, people turning simply by primary infection (not a bite) isn't backed up by series lore; unless you count (I forget who) saying that "the first walkers didn't have bite marks" though with the CDC in the US and similar organisations around the civilized world it would be very hard for the infection to spread, unless people did start turning randomly and rapidly at the start, it would be the only way for infection to spread. Though even then there would be enclaves of people dotted around the world, as you said, walkers are too slow and easily damaged and their strength varies from being able to be simply pushed away to a single walker being able to tear a hole in a man's abdomen with superhuman strength.

Black Summer for me wasn't very character driven. Using one example from it
    That's poor character writing in my opinion. There is poor writing in general in it, for example when the man says to the Asian girl (who speaks little to no English) and the old lady and
    and I've not even touched on the school episode in which a group of raggedy children seem to outsmart every single adult in the group.

Maybe it didn't get off to a strong start, maybe I'm missing something but the writing feels severely amateurish, which is in line with Netflix' hiring policies for their originals, where they give people with little to no experience carte blanche over screenwriting, directing and acting. Occasionally a team really hits it off and succeeds but more than often the production they make receives mixed to negative reviews, essentially they outsource for cheap directors and hope to find an up and coming Stanley Kubrick but more than often end up with a smattering of Timmy Wiesaus. It's great for Netflix as once they find their diamond in the rough they can milk them for all its worth but not so much for directors who could be good but get in over their heads, make a poor production and have that hanging over them throughout their careers; if their career didn't end before it started.

Edit; not that I could do any better. I prefer watching and chatting about it. I'm not terrible at writing fiction or factual pieces, though it's definitely not where I perform the best, it's not something I would ever see myself doing; I simply have a lack of original ideas.

#35 DavidDavidaon, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  16. DeadZedHead

I liked black summer. I think the odd behavior is just to point out that these are emotionally tense situations and people dont react logically. The blonde was in emotional shut down almost to the end. The old lady was frazzled by everything. The tweeker dude in the diner was totally calm and logical the whole time but that was not the norm and not always going to get you the best results. The school kids took advantage of peoples general instinct to try to help kids. One of them even pointed out that he wanted to leave them but the blonde insisted on finding them. It really showcased that fact that not matter how you personally react, there has to be a bit of luck involved. All of them would be dead if they hadnt happened upon someone else at the right time. They pushed the action to emphasize that time was forcing them to take actions they wouldnt have otherwise. I think the entire series takes place in just over 2 days. I think i remember them sleeping twice. I loved that one of them said the word zombie and another freaked out. “Why did you say that word? Dont say that!!” Or something to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidDavidaon

You do make some decent points, though the old lady said she had made it 6 weeks without her husband; people don't seem very prepared for being 6 weeks into a crisis situation. In the two episodes I watched barely anyone is carrying a gun and people haven't even repurposed things like kitchen knives into spears/pikes (excluding the schoolkids, who seem to be the wisest of the lot when it comes to arming themselves), making a kitchen knife spear is a super simple thing to do and doesn't require any special tools, just a kitchen knife, a long, straight branch made from hardwood, or a broom handle.
    A spear is extremely intuitive and easy to use as well as simple to make.

If the power and internet was still working in the first two weeks you could look up more intricate designs online.

However the best one guy could come up with was a hammer. A hammer is relatively hard to use and hard to kill with, the human skull is extremely tough and a person can survive multiple hammer blows to the head before dying (the shock video "3 guys one hammer" details this), the same could be said for these fast zombies, in fact some people who have killed with hammers or hatchets needed to take a short break while their victim is stunned/unconcious as swinging a heavy object at someone is rather physically taxing.

From what I saw, people had the time to prepare but instead are woefully armed.

There's a lot I don't like about black summer however I've not watched all of it, I might give it another chance, however I won't hold out hope for me liking it; I don't buy the "majority of people in a crisis run around like headless chickens; unless you're a schoolkid, in which case you act rationally; but criminally" narrative they have.

The IMDB score has gone from 9 (which is why I watched it) down to 6.5 in a week which.makes me think the production team may have been the first to review it.

18. DeadZedHead

The way it started was a bit jolting. They explain a little more as it goes on. The people in this town knew there an emergency and infection of some kind but acted like they had not experienced it first hand until then . When the severity and just how widespread it is was explained to them, they have looks on their faces like maybe the news had kept them in the dark. If the news tells them to stay inside and police are handling situations, this could be their first contact with infected. The old lady may have holed up but not fought any. There is a scene where they overestimate their ability to take them down with random weapons. It ends up being pretty funny. Im not sure if that was intentional. Most people aren’t going to turn into fighters immediately. They are going to run from life threatening situations first. Once the initial shock wears off, then they will make better decisions. Ya I think zombie fans hit it first and blew up the rating. Now more casual fans are seeing what the hype was about and finding it nothing like the walking dead. Also, people expecting a conclusion are going to be disappointed. I heard the was a prequel to Z nation. So it couldn’t “END”.

19. DavidDavidaon

Since you've said the start was a bit rocky I'll give it a second chance.

You're right that bot every one is a fighter. I find however, that when pushed most people are capable of things they themselves would think impossible. A specific case would be Aron Ralston, a normal hiker, who when his arm was trapped by a boulder and he knew he would die if he couldn't get back on the trail, he cut his own arm off with a blunt pocket knife.
    There are historical accounts of shackled prisoners chewing off a hand to escape too.
    When it's life or death the instinct to survive takes precedence over almost everything else, with things like family values only exceeding this due to the need to pass your genes on to the next generation.
    During some tornado, tsunami and storm disasters (E.g. Hurricane Katrina) it took less than a week for average, law abiding citizens to steal food, or sell their bodies for things like fuel.
    This would mean (though I need to watch the rest of the series) that the people surviving, will quickly become survivors. Survival of the fittest (and the luckiest) will quickly outweigh societal values and I feel black summer got that right. Even after the car chase and crash the chased group was willing to pair with (I stopped watching shortly after this) the other group. In a way this makes sense as neither group has something the other wants and thus the more of them, the stronger they are.

There are of course people who can shelve emotions and not be affected by what is going on around them. I guess you could call these people "functioning sociopaths" (with about 1 in 100 people in the Western world estimated to be be a sociopath and most them functioning in society without murdering or committing other serious crimes; it takes many factors to create a "true sociopath" it would seem), as well as this most people exposed to violence will quickly become desensitized to it with a minority experiencing PTSD, so; if it has only been a few days of major crisis and 5 and a few days of minor, beginning crisis only those who thought that it would be serious and had equipment would be "prepared" and they would have most likely grabbed their pack, firearms, other weapons and moved out of civilized areas.

With this in mind I'll give the show another shot and see if it manages to impress. Hopefully it does, especially if it had a rough start.

20. DeadZedHead

They never have enough time to completely adapt but they settle a little bit.