Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is the show following the comics too closely now

Discussion in 'Episode 608 - Start To Finish' started by lastcat3, Nov 30, 2015.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Do you think the show is beginning to follow the comics too closely at this point? Watching tonights episode I could easily tell that they were putting this scene and that scene together so all the characters could be in this spot by the end of the episode.

As far as I can tell this is the closest the show has ever tied itself to the comics so far. The surprises are becoming fewer and fewer as the two universes get closer and closer with each passing season it seems.

Of course this isn't any kind of problem for 99% of viewers who don't read the comics. But for the very small percentage of people who have read them it is getting to the point to where the thrill of watching a new episode is going away because they have infact already seen this story before.

This is probably the biggest reason why I am looking forward to FTWD just as much (if not more) than I am TWD because with that I don't have any idea what will happen next.

2. Sully

Sully Active Member

I'm just waiting for the point where FTWD is alternating directly with TWD. I want to have Walking Dead all the time. It would be awesome if season two of Fear The Walking Dead was coming next week. Hopefully it comes right after Season 6 of TWD finishes up in spring.

I haven't caught up with the comics to where we are in the show yet, but I'm close. I'm right after Pete dies.

But I was surprised while reading to see just how close the entire show has been to the comics, almost line for line. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed about it or anything, but the producers say all the time about how they stray from the comics and then they make them so similar.

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

There used to be a lot more differences than there are now. They have become closer and closer ever since Gimple took over. Now granted I do think Gimple has done a great job but the fact that they are now virtually saying even some of the same dialogue that they did in the comics is something that I am a little dissapointed about.

4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I thought they were aiming to make the show catch up with the comics.

That would be nice from a spoilers perspective, but it seems like that would make the comics redundant.

5. Ricky

Ricky Member

I don't think they are following the comic story lines any more closely than they have been in the past although may seem like it is slightly more than others. I think that they are at a point in the show where many big storylines and characters from the comic are about to come into play.
    Following the source material closely at this point may have been decided the best possible way to set up all these future plots that may allow for a bit of deviation in the future.
    Besides, I can't speak for all fans of the comic and show but I love seeing panels from the comic come to life on the screen! For example I think the majority of us on here know by now, whether you've read the comics or not, that...
    It's a pretty damn big moment in the comics and I absolutely can't wait to see it come to life in the TV series (sounds a bit morbid :zombies_lol: )

6. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

If anything they should just stick their dicks deep in the comic material all the way through. With a few changes here and there. More often than not, they're not good at doing new storylines.

7. Ricky

Ricky Member

That's a problem I think Game Of Thrones is just about starting to face.

Although I think because TWD has the ability to deviate from the comics quite successfully they should never have the problem of running out of source material. There is still a shit ton of the comics yet to be adapted, we should be alright for quite a while :)
    If they ever do though they could easily do an amazing original story line to give the comics time to get out ahead.

8. Rust

Rust Member

Yes it is following the comics too closely. What works on the pages of a comic doesn't always work on screen. The plots and writing are becoming cartoonish this season. Its descending into silliness. I fear the whole Neegan thing is going to turn into a Gotham style villain.

9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

God no. If anything I'd like the show to follow them more closely. This season would have been far better so far if they had.

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I think it do. I hope it steer away from the comic. The comic is a comic, to over the top and silly to often for a show to keep serious.

11. Rust

Rust Member

But wait until we get to see Morgan Freeman commanding a tiger!!

12. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

If they have hired Morgan Freeman! I will forgive everything! They can even make it in a weird animated comic bookstyle plastered over the actors, I will forgive em!

13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I agree. I had high hopes for this season because I felt it was the most straightforward story to tell from the comics. The overall execution is off to me, and the Glenn fake death was one of the worst moments of the series.

14. RicksRightHand

In a word? No.

I don't want to sound like an A-hole here but it says you haven't read the comic... so how are you in a position to say either way?
    You're suggesting that the plots and writing are becoming "cartoonish" this season as a result of following the comic too closely, which isn't an adjective I'd use to describe any writing or plot-line from the comic. The drawings? Sure, they can be described as "cartoonish".

Personally, having read the comics, I want the show to get closer to the source material. I don't want panel by panel but I want it as close to it as possible whilst maintaining what the show is.

What am I looking forward to more than anything with the show going forward? Moments from the comic being brought to life.

#14 RicksRightHand, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  15. filthyastronaut

Not really. This season has been almost completely not comic book material. There was never a herd in a quarry, no crazy plan to get rid of it, no Wolves, Morgan wasn't zen (but kind of weak in other ways), no dumpster, no Morgan flashback, drama at ASZ was different with different people involved, Jesse only had one son that didn't hate Rick and Carl, Daryl and Sasha didn't exist and Abraham was never gone, and even the horde breaching the walls played out differently, no captured wolf no Carl and Ron fight, etc.

16. Spartangal22

Spartangal22 Member

I'll second (or third or fourth) what a few other people have said - if anything, they should have followed the comics more closely this season. I was actually complaining about this to someone last night. I said, "This issue of the comics is great. The way the horde gets there is great. The horde is great. How do you mess that up?" They overcomplicated what was an already epic comic issue, and made it "clever," but the result more convoluted than anything else.

Think about it.

Why not just stick with that? It all made sense and no one looked stupid.

The problem with Alexandria, as a story line, is that it should actually be pretty safe. They've been clearing a radius around the walls, right? And they have (or had) walls, which should be supportive. So the only way for things to go epically bad is for either A) bad luck or B) stupidity. The comics went with the former; apparently the show is sticking with the latter.

17. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It is unnecessarily overcomplicated. I also think they made a big tactical error in the midseason finale. The cliffhanger should have been.

Maybe they felt as if they cashed in their chips here with the stupid, drawn out Glenn mess. So they didn't want to put another character in direct peril for a long time. Who knows. But they went for the cheap social media buzz over Glenn, but it would've been better if they went the other route over the holidays and into February.

People aren't going to be overly intrigued by where they left off. Most fans will assume Rick/Carl/Michonne make it out just fine anyway.

18. calliope

calliope Active Member

Since I don't read the comics, I realize that my POV is somewhat one sided, but I completely agree with what you've said here. They are two completely different mediums and this season the writing has been so contrived and it seems that the endgame is to match as closely with the comics as possible. Actors bring so much to the roles and to disregard that is to produce a weaker product.

We've seen Rick go completely off the rails more than once, but he never gave a hint of being a lecherous dick before the haircut. It just didn't align with what AL had brought to the role until that point.

19. CSFurious

CSFurious Member

the show needs to follow the Comics closely because that is the source material

20. RicksRightHand

This was why I jumped down the other posters throat about having not read the comics but then proceeding to have an opinion that was dependent on having read the comics...

I can only assume you're referring to his love interest with Jessie and how that's manifested? It went down a whole lot cleaner in the comic and I'd have preferred they didn't change it up like they did. In the show they make Rick look desperate and almost clingy to Jessie. That never happened in the comic. Ricks role in that situation in the comic was quite clearly the knight in shining armour to her damsel in distress but the way it panned out on the show made Rick look borderline crazy.

If anything, the shows decision to move away from the comic at times is what makes the writing contrived.

Please do yourself a favour and give the comics a shot. I don't want that to come across as condescending, I genuinely would recommend them having never read a comic in my life.

#20 RicksRightHand, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015