Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is the show following the comics too closely now

Discussion in 'Episode 608 - Start To Finish' started by lastcat3, Nov 30, 2015.

1. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I also find that a lot of the cheesier, more unrealistic parts and more cartoonish parts of this season are original in the TV show only. Such as the whole stupid Glenn fake out, Morgan being a zen jedi completely opposed to killing, etc. They didn't do the whole "playing with time" bullshit that Gimple gets hard over. The pacing was also much better, and the way the Scavenger battle lured the walker herd to the safe zone also worked much better, rather than the whole quarry bs. The Wolves counterpart in the comics also felt far more realistic, but I still enjoyed the Wolves so I will give that that a pass.

I have my issues with 6a, but them adapting comic material is the least of my worries. In fact, the inability to effectively do it is a much bigger issue. I agree that they need to make changes from the source material (my favourite character is not in the comics and my second favourite is very different as well), but TWD can sometimes do that poorly (like the hospital arc and the changes this season). There are times when changes need to be made and others where it's better to stick closer to the source material. No Way Out fits with the latter.

#21 ltomlinson31, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

It's all because of Neagan.

3. calliope

calliope Active Member

I don't think you come across as condescending at all. I appreciate the response.

Maybe I should give the comics a try. I've avoided doing so to prevent the dissonance that seems to occur whenever you have 2 sources of the same material. I'd just like to see the show do a better job and I guess the comic material is an easy target for non-
    comic viewers. Maybe it's just poor writing/story conception, or maybe the mediums just don't translate that well at times. I felt like in the Anderson storyline AL, AB and the actor who played Pete did a very credible job, it just didn't play well at all.

4. JMac

JMac Member

I, personally, think they should stick to the comic more. I understand the show and the comics are two completely different monsters, but I would like if they stuck to the comics more.
    Just like [MENTION=8784]Gaycandybacon[/MENTION] said, they aren't too good at coming up with their own stories... Or it seems like when they divert from the story line of the comic or even change a character, it's seems like an utter failure. Example; Andrea. Wow, what a total failure on her comic character.
    I think a lot, least for me, a lot of the fans watch the show because they've enjoyed the comic so much, and yes, it adds a lot of spoilers, but it is still so cool to see some comic scenes play out, and they have changed minor things here and there that still hold a lot of suspense and excitement.
    Personally, I would rather have a few spoilers, and a few minor changes, then give the writers full capacity at creativity. A lil here and there is ok, and I like their twists at times. When they go full fledged and deviate even with certain characters, in the past, I haven't liked what they have done, but that's just me.

5. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Some story lines from the comic are too good not to be in the show as close to the source material as possible.

6. Rust

Rust Member

I used to read them, haven't for quite a while so I say that I don't read the comics. I stopped mainly because the storyline just got too ludicrous with Negan and the Kingdom and Saviors and everything with a Gotham City type of name. It just got all too silly. Now I fear the show is headed in the same direction.

7. RicksRightHand

Absolutely agree. I'm happy for them to verge off and do original storylines as well as cherry picking ones from the comics.
    However, when dealing with comic storylines I feel like they should stick to the source material as much as possible. One of my stand-out favourite comic to show moments was the end of Season 5 when Rick bites out Joes throat. That scene pretty much went panel-for-panel and it worked so well. Sure, some of the characters around the scene differed from the comic version but the bread and butter of it remained the same and it worked.

8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

The Glenn thing was the tipping point for me. It was so heavy handed and felt like your generic TV fare where they pretend a character is dead and voila...miracle of miracles, they live. For me the show lost its credibility when Glenn survived. I don't trust them anymore to tell the story. If you do something so huge in a ridiculous fashion, it makes all the other threads of the story weaker.

Last year I felt the hospital arc was a disaster, but I gave the show a pass because I liked what they did with the Hunters, and I was looking forward to the next phase as they hit the road.

I can't do the same with Glenn because it's too central, cheesy and gimmicky. And it also highlighted how our main cast has been bullet proof now for two seasons (since Hershel died).

It's even more disappointing because this season had some of the very best comic material.

9. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Personally, I would like them to stick slightly less to the comics so I can't so easily predict what's going to happen. 2 of my favourite episodes (Clear and Tyreese's death one) were not in the comics.
    I'm hoping 609 doesn't pan out exactly as expected and also that when they encounter Negan in person a different group member meets Lucille. However, I do want to experience the tense awesomeness of that particular meeting as I think it's possibly the single best comic moment ever! A bit like the start of No Sanctuary but without QB Carol coming to save them!

10. haleysberries

haleysberries New Member

I love seeing the comic brought to life. I wish the tv show would follow it more! When I read the comics, I am always on edge. I do not know who is going to die next, when a herd of walkers are on their way to wipe out half the community, who they are going to encounter next, its just exhilarating. NO ONE is safe in the comics. And that is one of the main reasons why I love TWD. People die so unexpectedly, without hesitation or warning, I think I literally read 90% of the comics with my mouth hanging open. TWD was probably the first comic book I actually cried numerous times reading haha. In the tv show, everything is so surreal. You watch it and think.... oh, no one is going to die this episode, they just killed so and so a couple weeks ago! But its not even just about the death. I hate that some characters that are in the comics had such pathetic roles in the tv show (ANDREA). And I feel like Carl is way more bad ass in the comics as well. Well... Michonne is a bit of a hopeless romantic in the comics.. I could do without that lol but still!! Love it!!!!!!!