Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Is this a phone scam I'm unfamiliar with?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I got a call from an unfamiliar number; the incoming call showed up on my TV. I promptly typed it into my computer and up popped the name and address of someone in a neighboring town. (I don't know that name.) My answering machine went into Leave a Message, but there wasn't one. Phone disconnects.

I was curious that this seemed to be a real person, so I dialed the number. I got a message that this number was no longer in service. I double checked the incoming number that was recorded on my telephone. Yep, I had it right.

So how is a disconnected number dialing me? Do scammers have a way to use and hide behind disconnected numbers?

Thanks for any insight into a possible explanation.

2. Lindigo

3. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Scammers are ingenious about hiding. I would guess this is a scam, I have run into the same situation. I am on the do not call list (not that it matters at this point) so I just forward to the FCC as a violation. Scam calls are so out of control I don't know that it will ever be reined in.

4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Yes, it's called "spoofing" where they send false signals to look like they're calling from somewhere else, like someone calling from your local area code when they are really calling from who knows where. If you don't know the number, it's might be a scam.

I've even gotten emails from my colleagues saying they are on a vacation in England, had their purse stolen and needed some money wired over, when said colleague was actually still at work at the time.

Computer crooks are very sneaky, and it's not paranoia to say one shouldn't be trusting of electronic communication.

It's a tough thing, in that you don't want to NOT answer the phone in case it's something important, but I generally just let unknown numbers leave a message and get back to them if it's real.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lindigo

Good idea. I am on the no-call list also. (I'm sort of freshly on it because at some point I fell for a scam that claimed there had been a problem and people had to re-register, and it took me off the real list. :rolleyes:) Anyway, yes, I will report it. Thanks.

Since your no-call situation hasalso turned into that "not that it matters at this point" deal, I recommend putting yourself on it again. It even asks you if you registered before, so this must happen to a lot of people. All of my recent pests left me alone within a month after I re-registered. This is only my second phishing nuisance since the re-register.

6. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Being on the do not call list doesn't help you with scammers though, only with real businesses. It also doesn't help when the business is not located in the US.

7. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I’ve received calls from my own number. Never, ever answer it.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  8. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

I recently confirmed that I am still on the do not call list. I do have AT&T HiYa which helps to an extent. I also have RoboKiller which has basically stopped Robo calls to my phone completely. Instead they go directly to the app and I’ll receive a notification that a call has been blocked and it the person talks it is recorded. It provides amusement I have the Jon Snow impersonator for my answerbot and last week had one call that had me and my coworkers in stitches! I tried to paste it here but it won’t let me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Yeah that was CREEPY when it happened to me.

10. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

LOL, I wasn't thinking about it like that, but you're right, that's like something you'd see in a horror movie!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

What if you answer the phone and it is YOUR voice speaking back to you????

THEN what if you ask them a bunch of questions only you know the answer to, but they answer all of them correctly????

THEN what if they text you a pic and the pic is of you taking a selfie, but you didn't take THAT selfie????

Whoa!