Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 133 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by legendx66, Oct 21, 2014.

1. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Putting it up early in case someone gets it in the morning. Discuss the latest issue here.

2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Gonna try and get it later. Hopefully Google Play doesn't malfunction like it did last time and list the issue as $537589.

4. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

My man Dwight's still kicking and leading the Saviors.

5. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Damn. Great Issue!

6. jwcoombs

Finally got confirmation that Negan is actually in Rick's basement.

7. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Ooh, I read it earlier and forgot to comment.

It was a good issue, for sure. Would have liked to have seen more of Dante, seeing as he's in exactly the same position he was at the end of the last issue, but now Jesus is in a similar situation. Guess we'll find out what the go is with Dante in the next issue.

Rositaaaaaaaaa, why'd ya do that? Who is the father? Poor Eugene...

I was kind of surprised to see the situation with Andrea and Magna's group being resolved in such a calm and civil manner. Literally talking things out over a cup of coffee. I'm very interested to see what Magna's like when shit inevitably hits the fan. Is she going to trust people? Has this talk with Andrea quietened her suspicions, or does she still think there's more to it?

8. jwcoombs

Ok, here's my full write up.

This issue was really good. First off, it's cool seeing Carl in his own environment; being his own man. Also, he's a bit of a ladies man now. He's got Anna and Sophia contending for him; and who knows who else. I loved how they cut from Carl and the letter; straight to the people of Magna's group completely awestruck and amazed as they learned about Carl Grimes.

I'm kind of glad that the conflict with Andrea and Magna was handled so diplomatically. I think Andrea can appreciate their situation and approach. After all; Rick and Andrea's first couple days with Father Gabriel were exactly the same; they were harsh to him, accusatory and even violent and unfair. Another thing worth mentioning,concerning Andrea's diplomacy and calmness; she knew someone would be checking in on her, and she knew it wouldn't just be "someone", it would be Jesus. So she knew if things got hairy; he would know, and he would clean house. The reason she was so confident in him knowing something was amiss is made obvious you they mention Jesus and Rick's code. It's clear that they've though of the type of situation where someone may be in trouble; but forced to feign calmness and not raise alarm. I'm willing to bet they've got a large variety of contingencies. "Are the horses in the stable?" LOL

I loved how, as Magna's group began learning all the specific details, and events concerning Rick and his people, their struggle and their story; that they appeared completely awestruck and impressed. And judging by Luke's joy and friendliness when Andrea got up to make coffee(which I liked as well; that she refused to sit still, or ask permission to move; refused to be a hostage); it seemed they were finally starting to get the picture. E.g.-"Maybe we should start trusting, and more importantly, respecting these people while in their home"-LOL

Also, we received answers to two questions during this exchange. The first being that Negan, is, in fact imprisoned in the basement of the Grime's home. We had all wondered; but there was really no way of being sure. Now we know; and I must say, not only does that make things much more personal, but I think it's a good idea. Nobody is more serious about Negan's imprisonment than Rick; it also limits, and gives Rick complete control over who has interaction with Negan; as well as control over how he is treated, punished, and all other aspects of his life. The only thing that bothers me about it; is that Rick mentioned to Magna that Negan isn't the only inmate. Actually, at the time he and Magna last spoke; he even told her there was currently someone spending a few days in their for disorderly conduct or something,and that there's a few people who are in and out for minor violations, but only one lifer(Negan). That's the only objection I have; I don't believe that Rick's basement should be used as the town jail. Now, death row for Negan I understand. But the town jail should be it's own establishment. And it shouldn't be directly run by Rick. I understand he's the Sheriff of Alexandria, but he should deputize someone and task them with running the jailhouse. The other answer being mention of the Saviors and Dwight. It's good to know they've become and integral part of the communities. I bet they've become very useful with that Steel Mill they call home. Andrea made it sound like they haven't had a single problem from the Saviors since Dwight took over. That says a lot about Negan's power and ability to manipulate and control.

Moving on; although I was wrong when I jumped the gun on the preview panels thinking Rosita had spent the night with Marco in that panel. I was correct in assuming she was cheating; and many of the rest of you guys were correct in speculating that she was pregnant. But who would have though it would be both? Unbelievable. Not only does the little tramp cheat on the man who has stood by her since day one, and loved her unconditionally, but she gets knocked up by someone who clearly wants nothing to do with her;and then continues to live with, lie to, and lead Eugene on? That's unforgivable. I feel so bad for Eugene, he's never done anybody wrong. I mean, yeah, he lied, but it still lead everyone to where they are now. It had no negative effect on anything. He's become and invaluable member of society; what has he done to deserve this kind of treatment? If she never had feelings for him; she should have left him long ago; should have never moved in with him, nor stayed with him after Abe's death. She used, and is still using him and she knows is. It's the same thing she did with Abe; she even admitted it. She admitted she was scared; didn't know what to do and how to survive, or protect herself. So she clung to Abe, and gave him sexual favors on command; and in return he protected her, kept her alive, kept her fed, everything she needed. That's why she was so "heartbroken" when he left her for Holly; because she lost her meal ticket. So, she needed a new one; and who better to take advantage of then the guy who is obsessed with her, dreams of being with her, and just so happens to be a very important part of the ASZ infrastructure? So she just jumped on the next proverbial cash-cow that sauntered on by.

But, what's really got me wondering is Eugene's response and reaction to his news. Now, Eugene has come a long, long way. He found his courage back during "No Way Out", when he joined the fight against the herd, and didn't retreat until the last zombie was finished. He then found his niche in the hierarchy of the community, and subsequently became one of the most invaluable parts of the infrastructure, and one of Rick's most trusted advisers. He lost all his weight, and dropped the mullet, and is beginning to look quite handsome. Then, he, by himself designs and supervises the construction of a functioning wind-powered flour mill. Thanks to him; they now have fresh bread and flour and a plethora of wheat products. And on top of all of that; he not only developed the most ingenious way to easily protect the communities from herds of limitless size; along with designing and crafting a one-of-a-kind war horn to accompany the method; but he also fearlessly leads the troop of riders into the herd and calls the shots throughout the entire drive. That being said; what I'm getting at is that he has ascended to a position of relative power and authority and respect; so he no longer has to be cowardly and submissive about issues such as this. It's completely within his right to be angry, to seek this man out, and things of the like. But, his reaction seems as if his horse has been spooked. He appears disturbed; not just heartbroken and devastated. Which leads me to believe the news was much more shocking and unbelievable than we may think; which subsequently has me wondering is the father of this bastard child is someone much closer to out hears than some stranger. Possibly someone from another community? Dwight? That would be a slap in the face not only to Eugene, but Abe's memory. Or, is it possible Rosita pulled a "Patricia"(when she had feeling for Thomas); and sneaked down into the Grime's basement late one night; or while Rick was away, and made sweet, forbidden love to Negan? Or, and stay with me here; this could be the exact reason why Siddiq was introduced to the story. Kirkman said we'd see more of him; and if you remember, he was introduced alongside Andrea and Rosita, at the same time they were having the conversation about telling Eugene in #127. Just food for thought. Rick crossed my mind at first; but that would never happen. Wouldn't it be crazy if it were Carl? LOL

Moving on, it was tough watching Rick leave Carl at the Hilltop. Not really emotionally; just foreboding. I'm worried; but I feel Carl will rise to whatever occasion he is faced with. After all, he is Carl Grimes(!!!!!!!!!!!!!)!-LOL- Aside from that; I love the father/son dynamic.They've come so far, been through so much, most relationships would have been destroyed, exhausted by the strain, and crushed by the weight of all they've seen and done. But they managed to stay strong; and come out clean, and even stronger, better, and closer than ever, on the other side. I'm so excited to see how they interact when Carl become a man. It's too bad Rick wasn't able to retain his physical prowess for a little longer(which is possible still;I know people who had suffered knee injuries, and it took them several years to reach 100% again. But nevertheless, they did reach 100%); Kirkman has hinted at something similar; so I'm still holding out hope for seeing two generations of Grime's men fighting side-by-side. All that being said; I wasso happy to see that Carl isn't one of those teenagers who is "too cool", or too embarrassed to tell his father that he loves him.

Now, concerning out short visit with Dante and the leatherfaces. Well,first off, I'm glad to see Dante still alive for the time being. It appears they weren't quick to pull the trigger; which most likely means they want to take him captive, which gives him a chance to survive this. Next, I'm having a hard time telling is these people are "all their" cognitively speaking or not. They speak in a very primitive, staccato manner. But, I can't tell is that's because of their need to whisper while around the dead; and because of that they've learned to speak in a more short-and-to-the-point manner, where things like adverbs, adjectives and pronouns are omitted in the interested of quick and simple communication. Or, if they're just becoming less refined and more primitive due to their time spent with the dead?

They just seem to be speaking very-"I Tarzan-You Jane"-I'm unsure of what that could mean though. For example-"I ask questions. You answer nicely?" and "You came to our land. Killed our kind. Now we explore your lands. Learn your people. You will see many.You will know us. You will fear us."--Thoughts on the reason for their manner of speech?

Also, not for nothing; but the leader of the leatherfaces that's interrogating Dante does look a little familiar. It's features underneath the mask seem to be soft, seemingly feminine. And, I feel pretty confident in saying the skin color beneath the mask is definitely African-American. Could it be Michonne? I couldn't see how she could fall so far. Even with my theory of how the falling out went; I figured she would just move to the Kingdom, and refuse all contact with ASZ or Hilltop and become reclusive. Unless this is her big plan to finish Negan? LOL

Something else that worries me is the leader's mention of them beinf "Many"; and also the way he talks about how Dante-"Came into our lands". The way he/she says it; makes it seem like their territory is vast, and his people are equally as vast. So vast they didn't even know they had neighbors so close.

One more thing; I think the shotgun wielding leader is alone in this moment. When he leans down to get closer to Dante and whisper in his ear-"Keep voice down. You'll bring more"-and Dante turns around to see that several walkers have gathered around them; the leader seems as if he's a little worried. Which leads me to believe those bodies gathered around them are walkers, not leatherfaces, and that the leader is by himself, that's why he pulled the shotgun. Dante on the other hand, is most likely completely unsure whether or not the walkers surrounding them are walkers or more freaks in disguise. But in the second to last panel in this encounter; is almost looks as if Dante is trying to make a play for the gun; I'm not sure though. But I think Dante has a decent shot as escaping this situation on his own.

On to Jesus and his troop of riders. I thought this event was pretty cool. First off, I like that Jesus is head of security and captain of the guard. It fits him well; leading people, and being in charge of physically protecting the territory. I just enjoy getting further insight into the infrastructure that Rick has been able to build over the past few years since the end of Negan's reign. It's really impressive; untold miles of passable, and safe road; a mapped territory complete with borders and boundaries(I'd love for Kirkman have Adlard draw a real map for us); not to mention several stations up and down the roadway, as Jesus mentioned. I'm willing to be many of the stations are re-purposed Savior outposts. Oh, it's also cool that Jesus and the others have employed the flare method the Saviors used. It's neat seeing the melding of the communities and their methods. Also, I love Jesus' dedication to his men-"We've got a patrolman missing? Of course I'm riding out with you!"- but at the same time, I respect and admire his pragmatism-"I'm sorry, but Nathaniel's on his own"-it sucks; but that's reality, he can't risk men and resources and security on the road over one foolish patrolman who wandered off when he shouldn't have. On the other hand; I can understand Nathaniel's "stupid" hobby; I feel like I would be the type of person who would scavenge for brick-a-brack, and collect things that give me some semblance of before; things that remind me of my old life, little tangible pieces of nostalgia. Memories you can hold in your hand. When they mentioned baseball cards; I knew I'd be similar. I too would search for and collect books, action figures, knives, magazines, pictures, newspapers; that kind of stuff is important to me now and probably would be again once we were settled and thriving. Either way it was cool to see the dilapidated and completely overgrown neighborhood and highway overpass junction.

Also, I'm guessing the reveal of the small herd trailing Jesus-"We're losing them"-"Keep walking. Catch up when they stop." is more evidence in support of Mr. Shotgun's claims of them being-"Many". I believe this to be a completely different group than the one Dante encountered. Which means that the leatherfaces are currently in the process of performing a reconnoiter; and preparation for what I believe to be a full-scale invasion.

What started all this was dumbass Ken and Marco wandering out of the mapped territorial borders. They were wandering into uncharted territory, and that's why Marco was advising Ken against it. But he wanted to press on and explore like a naive fool. Like the leatherface said-"You came into our lands"-that was Ken and Marco. They were breaking protocol; and wandered out of the safe zone's territory and into someone elses. When they got into the brief scuffle, when Ken's leg was broken, and one of the horses was overtaken and killed; Marco unknowingly killed a couple leatherfaces that he assumed were zombies. This angered them as it would anyone; these strangers trespassed and murdered. So now; the leatherfaces have decided to organize a foray into their lands; to do a reconnoiter on these people who violated the sanctity of their land. Then they plan to invade and seek vengeance. So it would make sense that their are several herd, or troops, entering the safe zone territory from different areas and angles. These guys are much smarter than we thought.

Aside from that; it was wonderful to see Carl living and working all by himself. It's like he's finally coming in to his own, and coming of age. He's his own man. And he is a man in full in my opinion. Adolescence is a 20th century invention; at Carl's age he is a man. He should be working, hunting,fighting, killing, protecting and providing. It's great to see him evolving. Seeing him work hard, and excel at his craft; and seeing him tired and filthy after a hard, honest days work, and seeing that look of satisfaction and accomplishment on his face. I'm also extremely happy to see his and Sophia's long-time-coming relationship really blossoming. It's meant to be; and like Maggie said; a Grimes/Greene union will definitely get people talking; but they also don't know it's been written since day one. I just really hope; Carl doesn't pursue Anna just because she's a little loose and fast. But, he is a boy after all...Either way; it's adorable seeing Carl and Sophia on their first dinner date. They've come a long way from playing together with blocks. LOL

And finally; like I said before about the leatherfaces. What actually makes them the most deadly; isn't anything they have; it's the complacency of everyone else. They've completely re-learned their fighting methods. They've taught themselves no to panic; to be more offensive than defensive, because walkers won't fight you. They've been taught that they can always out run and out wit the walkers; so there's no need to defensive moves, or blocking, or shields, they've learned to stay on the attack at all times. To not worry about being flanked; because you can always run. They've taught themselves that they don't need to be scared, or worried about getting close to walkers, or being in the middle of a crowd of them while fighting; or riding into/through a herd on horse back and slashing as you charge. But that's what's killing them now; because now it is fatal to get that close, to turn your back, to let them flank you, or ride into a herd. Because they're smart, they use weapons, bladed and projectile. Between this complacency, and the ultimate element of surprise; many will fall before they wise up. That's the very reason why both Dante and Jesus's crew were lost so quickly and quietly. They've become to comfortable;Jesus wasn't worried about the walkers behind him; because they're dumb, they never expected walkers to wield weapons and attack with strikes instead of bites, this causes them to deny the reality around them. They deny the walkers are holding blades, they deny that they're slashing and cutting and intelligently attacking. This denial causes fear-based paralysis, which results in their swift deaths. But just like Dante; Jesus caught on quickly. Ans although it looks dire; we all know Jesus is about to throw down; and show these freaks just what they're messing with. He'll clean house; every last one, corpse of freak, he'll do it for himself and his fallen comrades. And to top it off; he'll spare one and subdue and bind them for interrogation back at home. Man this is getting good!

Can't wait to see Carl's development in this arc. #134 is supposed to be heavily focused on him. I'm hoping, that he forges his own blade; and uses it in the battle for the Hilltop when the leatherfaces invade. That would be an awesome coming of age event for him.

[​IMG]

9. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

That was a great issue.

I liked magna's group's interrogation devolving into a coffee-drinking hangout. Lol. So, it looks like they are decidedly good people now. Dammit. This lends more weight to [MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION]' theory that michonne could be the female baddie kirkman has hinted to. Why?!?! Couldn't it be Lori 2.0? (My new nickname for Rosita.) I liked when Jesus showed up and was ready to snap into action and Andrea was like, "nah, we're good." "Are the horses in the stable?" Lol.

Cool to see Carl living on his own. Seems to be doing well at blacksmithing-- all that time spent carving stuff and thangs must have counted for something. The letter was interesting. Looks like there may be some fighting between Sophia and Anna. But we all know in the end he'll choose Sophia. WAIT, THAT'S IT!!! Anna is the female baddie. Phew. That's a relief. (I'm approaching Cheria-level denial that michonne could turn bad)

And these whisperers are definitely and officially bad fooken news. They took out Jesus' patrol like they were nothing. Will be one helluva fight scene at the opening of next issue.

10. lewh

lewh Member

Maaan this was a great issue!

First of all, I loved Carl in this issue, I like how he is independent and has quite a reputation "Carl Grimes (!!!!!)" haha. Also, he looked pretty slick when he came to meet Sophia for dinner lol.
    I'm glad there isn't any conflict between Magna's group and Ricks group, but I kinda wish we could see more of them in action too. **** Rosita.
    Now onto the 'whisperers' (Kirkman has coined an actual name for them in the letter hacks now), they're really creepy and it excites me as to where the story is going to go next - I noticed their text is much smaller in the bubbles insinuating that they talk very softly/quietly(?) which to me adds to them being even more creepy!

I'd love a shot of the map or something showing how large the territories are, and each zone, even if it were on a wall in the background.

STILL NO MICHONNE?!!?!?!? :(

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Now that was a full issue. They made up for the skimp that was last issue.

Rosita doesn't deserve Eugene. At least she doesn't deserve having Eugene immediately succumb and offer her everything so readily like that. I think if I were Eugene I'd ask Rosita to find her own house for awhile, and if she wanted to continue a relationship with me, then we'd have to try it over again from scratch, and go on a first date. She's pretty much treated Eugene like shit since circa issue 55 and now she cheats and just embraces it when Eugene continues to expose his belly for her. Imagine the backlash if the gender rolls were reversed. No, Rosita needs a reality check.

Goddam Nathaniel and his tiddly-wink collection!! He'll probably stroll on back to the checkpoint, all grins, with a handful of matchbox dump trunks and some silly puddy! Darius, you will forever be missed.

I still don't think that the female villain will be Michonne. This looks like a classic bait and switch to me. Yes, there's a mysterious tension there hanging over our heads ever since Rick mentioned her name, but it will end up being a conflict over mixing the white and red underpants at the laundrymat, so that all Rick's T shirts came out pink, or something. The real villain will come out of the blue. Possibly someone we've already met, but wouldn't expect. Or perhaps the head of the Quislings is a female. Or perhaps, just mayhap, Rick isn't so forgiving when he hears about Magna's group breaking in on Andrea like that, and he puts them on probation. Magna, she understands. Yumiko, on the other hand.....she can't let the disgrace slide....mysterious Yumiko....exotic....yet hidden...so far little more than a background silhouette on a canvas of sparkling characters. What are you hiding Yumiko???.......do you have the potential to seduce Dwight.....to slowly usurp his power in the minds of the saviors? To poison their psyche, once again.....

12. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

This whole system, everyone a part of it is apparently a Grimes fanboy/fangirl

13. Sco

Sco Member

My man Jesus is about to go all kinds of ripsh*t!!

14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I love ya J, but you know I just can't read all that. :p. Any cliff notes version??

15. jwcoombs

Nah, Rosita is the femme-fatale. You see, the baby is Negan's; conceived on a dark and lust filled night a while after the war, but when thinkg were in a very volatile, and infant-state. Communities were insecure and tending to their festering wounds caused by the war, people are displaced, and things are generally hectic and confusing. During this time; Negan is kept in, and moved throughout a variety of makeshift ramshackle, would-be prison cells. Although this is Rick's first a biggest moved toward law and order, and decidedly his first order of business, or policy as a leader(the polar opposite of Rick's "You kill you die rule" back in issue #17); and I'm sure he had Negan guarded fiercely and watched like a hawk, the fact remains his ramshackle-captivity was not the most secure, and certainly susceptible to breaches, and some of the guards were no-doubt vulnerable to Negan's special brand of manipulation. Before returning to Alexandria to rebuild, Rick had a host of duties to complete. People to meet, hands to shake, speeches to be made, as well as appearances. A King's life is busy after triumph and victory in war. During his post-war campaign, Rick saw to it personally, that all members of the communities were escorted safely home, and helped to settle back in; and given all the supplies, weapons, and man power they would need to rebuild and stay secure. During Rick's few days spent at the Kingdom, helping it's resident's to settle back in after the war, Negan was kept locked up in the center of the front lawn, near the gate, in one of Shiva's old cages that Ezekiel had pilfered from the D.C. Zoo. Late that night; Negan spotted a distraugt and upset, and visibly crying Rosita. Who was wandering the complex in the wee hours, unable to sleep due to her loneliness. She requires a lot of attention, and Eugene is just too bust helping Rick resettle and rebuild. There is much work to be done. So she spends her days and nights alone and only sees Eugene on occasion, when he comes in to sleep. That specific night; the guard on duty to watch Negan, had ensure the cage was chained tight, and even applied a second padlock before sneaking over to the wall to partake in a bottle of booze one of the sentries had found on the trip back from Hilltop; and was saving it to celebrate peace once they arrived back home at the Kingdom. Although he was not very far from his charge, it was far enough, and the spirits dulled his senses, and Negan is wily and clever. He called out to the upset Rosita, and she ignored him. But he was relentless, and knew all the right things to say. Eventually, a victim of loneliness, and naivety, Rosita wanders over to talk to him. They begin talks, and Negan, who never ceases to amaze, mentions that he knows her, that Eugene spoke very highly of her during his time held captive at the Sanctuary. Negan repeats the sweet and compassionate words Eugene shared with him as if they were his own; and the longing Rosita feels to hear those words from Eugene himself, and to feel loved and wanted gets the better of her. Naively, she finds herself feeling comforted, even wanted by Negan; and although it's feigned and malicious, she is weak and foolish and gives into the temptation, allowing herself to find comfort in Negan's empty words. Negan talk about how he feels similar, alone, unloved, unwanted, misunderstood. It's not long before she is in the palm of his hand; although he know she's not fool enough to set him free. So he takes what he can get, and they make love. Soon after the deed is done, Rosita runs off crying, realizing what she's done.

But now, she's decided to break the news to Eugene. So he will continue to care for her, and make her life easy during the rest of her pregnancy. She's using him one last time, just as she's always used him. But once Negan's heir is born; she will immediately defect from Eugene; and set in motion a plan to free Negan and reclaim his rightful throne at the Sanctuary. Where she, him, and their young prince can once again rule with and iron fist and live a life of luxury.

16. jwcoombs

LOL, yeah;I got carried away this morning. :p

17. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

idk who im more annoyed/pissed at. Rosita for cheating or Eugene for being so cool about it smh

18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

So I wonder if any Carl/Anna/Sophia love triangle drama will kick off at the fair? ;) I liked how Carl took time to primp himself for dinner and showed up with his hair slicked back. I think it shows that he doesn't have to hide that side of his face with hair when he's with Sophia because he's so comfortable with her.

I'm still wondering about the Leatherfaces' strange dialogue too, [MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION], but I think it's as you suggest. They try to speak as little as possible around walkers, and now it's a habit.

I'm feeling really bad for Eugene. He is so intelligent and such a nice guy, but he lacks confidence in himself.

19. Patrickdeh

Patrickdeh Member

I just catched up reading part 132 and 133....
    So they are called the leather faces (?)....

I must say that these 2 comics really kinda shocked me. I was hoping for a time of peace and that the new group was there to screw things up.
    But noooooo RK wants to involve those damn walkers again...

Oh well. I hope that this will be an interesting arc and i really, really, REALLY want to know who killed their people? Or do they think that they are walkers?

20. zeke10

zeke10 Member

So are the whisperers bad guys? Any known leader?