Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 133 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by legendx66, Oct 21, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

LOL, no, that's just what we've been calling them. But it seems, in the letter hacks for #133 that Kirkman has officially coined a name, and dubbed them-"The Whisperers".

Also, to answer your question and alleviated confusion-the people who trespassed on the Whisperer's land, and killed their comrades was initially Ken and Marco. If you remember, Ken and Marco rode into uncharted territory, well outside the boundaries of the safe zone's land. As they moved further into uncharted lands; they encountered a small herd in the woods. The herd spooked their horses, causing Ken to be bucked from his horse. The walkers swarmed the horse, and Marco had to kill several walkers to free Ken from under the horse, and help him onto his horse, since his leg was now broken. They had to kill a few more to get away and start making their way back to the Hilltop. But as you know, travel was difficult for them; and when it began to rain, and they took shelter from the herd in the ditch; this is when it was first revealed that they were the Whisperers. This means; that Ken and Marco encountered the Whisperer's first on accident; and then killed several of them, thinking they were walkers. This event is what led the Whisperer's to venture into the Safe Zone territory, and seek vengeance against it's people. Then, to add injury to insult; Dante and his men killed off the rest of the troop of Whisperer's that Ken and Marco encountered; as they were still lingering in the area around the barn where Ken was left by Marco, and where Dante went to look for Ken.

The first stone has already been cast in this conflict. And, while it may have cast accidentally, and completely obliviously, it was cast nonetheless, and it's the resident's of Rick's safe zone who are responsible for casting that first stone. In reality; the Whisperer's are only retaliating for what they viewed as an attack on their lands and people. Up until now; they had never even venture into the Safe Zone's lands, and probably never would have. But now they've been antagonized and instigated. Disrespected, and attacked. So, like they said, it's their turn to journey to places they don't belong, and kill people for no reason. Can you blame them? They're obviously operating in a very primitive, instinctual, and territorial manner. A wolf's territory consists of a 300 mile range of hunting territory, and a 30 mile range of kill territory. The 30 mile range is the 30 miles closest to the den. Wolves are pack animals, and operate out of a central den; and they fiercely guard their den and patrol their entire range daily. If the wolves find/sense someone within the 300 mile range; they will find them, stalk them, and identify them as friend or foe, as threat, prey, or harmless passerby. Depending on the scenario, they will leave you alone. But if you continue to get increasingly closer to their den, they will make their presence known and attempt to persuade you to turn around; if you are something they view as prey, within the 300 mile range, and heading toward the den, they will attack you. Then, if you are unlucky enough to find yourself within 30 miles of the den, survival chances are slim. As a rule of total instinct, a wolf will kill anything and everything that comes within that 30 mile range of their den. Friend, foe, doesn't matter. If it gets within 30 miles, it dies. It's a risk they refuse to take. That's sort of how I'm perceiving the Whisperer's right now; this isn't personal, or motviated by any kind of personal gain. It's strictly territorial. As in, you overstepped your boundaries, and threatened my den; now you pay the price. Once the price is paid, and the bloody currency received; then all will return to normal.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I very much blame them. A wolf is a creature without reason, that acts on instincts alone, while these guys are thinking humans who willfully put themselves into a ridiculous situation, and are now retaliating against innocent people for the misfortunes that they only brought on themselves by adapting that lifestyle. It would be like me disguising myself as an outhouse and then killing someone for pooping down my mouth. If I was an organized group like Alexandria or the Hilltop and a group of these crazy wannabe walkers starting killing members of my group, i'd kill every last one of them.

3. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

4. Sixchr

Sixchr Member

I love the dark and creepy element the Whisperers bring to the comic. I was trying to figure out where this series was going and these guys literally freak me out. When I look at the drawings I just imagine what a human face would look like with one of Nicotero's disgusting walker masks over their face and it just gives me a shiver. I don't quite understand their logic considering they chose to disguise themselves among the things everyone is killing, putting themselves at risk, but I love how they can just pop out of a group of walkers and catch people offguard like they did with Jesus at the end of the issue. I'm totally ready for Jesus to kick some ass and hopefully find Rick to deliver the message next issue.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Great issue!
    The Whisperers terrify me but so far Dante isn't dead. That's good. It seems they aren't lacking in numbers. That's very very bad.
    Andrea is explaining everything now and Jesus is gonna go full Samurai Ninja again! Carl is growing up! Don't even get me started on Rosita. I definitely didn't expect her to cheat. I'm disappointed but I want to know more. Euge is pulling A Rick.

I think a few of you are jumping the gun on Rick's basement. I think they meant the basement of the prison building still. We saw Rick leaving the prison after visiting Negan. He even told Magna he was in there.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

We don't know anything about them but i'd say the chances of them being good are slim. How many friends do you have who's first words to you were "You Will fear us?". haha They've killed a lot of people already.

7. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Really, it looks as if they may already have as many kills under their belt as Negan caused in "All out War". They are slipping under the radar, and could have even been in the story proper far longer than we know. Until recently they were easily confused with walkers after all, so they could have been around for any number of untold issues prior to now.

Wouldn't it suck to find out that this group was part of the Mega-Herd Rick, Carl, Abe and Morgan encountered? Or even as early as the Prison, or Atlanta... Heck, they could have gotten the idea watching Rick and Glenn using guts cammo and ran with it.

8. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's going too far to assume they existed in the extreme early days imo. I highly doubt that honestly. Scary thought though. They hide themselves from the characters but it seems quite obvious from our persppective. I think it's a totally new thing for the book and they most likely came to be in the timeskip or relatively soon before that or traveled.

Another side note. I can't rule out Michonne completely but I think it's at least very unlikely the person we've seen with Dante is her. He/she seemed unaware of all the communities. They all did. It's the same reason people debunked Davidson as Negan. They should have hit the communities much sooner if they had that certain leader.

9. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Oh I do not believe they have been around that long either, just ruminating a bit. But this kind of thing has been evolving since early on with this group. This has become a lifestyle as opposed to a survival technique to them from the looks of it, and they have clearly lived this way for a while. No way this is Michonne, as she could not have gone this far without suffering brain damage. This probably started similar to "Guts" but never ended for them, as they just kept modifying the process until they just shrouded themselves in their skins, loosing whatever it was that made them human in the process. Because make no mistake, these folks are neither human nor walker anymore, they are something in between that slipped through the apocalyptic cracks and found a home there.

10. Neuropyramidal

Agreed.

11. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

Amazing issue. I loved the Magna's group and Andrea talk I knew that would be resolved like that. Cool to see Andrea still isn't okay with Negan still being alive. Smh Eugene just needs to move on from Rosita I am sure he can find someone else in Alexandria. Finally got to see what Anna wrote to Carl which was cool but I am still banking on him and Sophia. Good to finally hear about Dwight and the saviors. As far as the leatherfaces go its not looking good for Dante or Jesus. I still think that they are tied in with Magna and her group and has been followed by them since Richmond.

12. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

Carl looking like a stud going to have Dinner with Sophia. I can already see it happening Sophia finding that letter from the other girl already she's going to be jealous , or she's going to go pay this girl a visit :zombies_lol:

13. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Oh, I can see how that'd go down.

"Hey, Anna."

"Oh, hi -- Sophia, right?"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Now, stay away from my man…. Bitch."

14. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

If they did that Sophia would skyrocket on my favorite comic book characters !

15. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Forever in our hearts and minds.

16. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Oh shit. Yeah, I thought of that while reading but forgot to mention it here. You just KNOW something's gonna happen between these three at the fair. Lol. If it happens that is-- hard to say with these whisperers showing up.

17. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

I want to see what Negan thinks of Carl being a player. Most of Negan's interactions are gold but the ones with Carl are something else. Would be funny to see what he thinks especially when he made the kid cry when taking the piss out of his appearance and saying it won't be a hit with the ladies.

18. Neuropyramidal

Sophia will be the next female villain. But it won't be on a grand 'all out war' type scale. It will be a 'serial killer' deal. First Anna shows up dead....then Josh.....;)

19. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

It'll be Shiva, pissed that Ezekiel left her to die

20. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Don't joke [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION]... That could be just the kind of surprise I would expect at this point. That or Rosita... We never have heard who it was with did we? Any woman who could blatantly cheat on her man after all that drama over being cheated on has some major issues no matter the venue.