Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 134 Cover

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by legendx66, Aug 14, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Ah, I finally found the name of the feral zombie-pretenders I was talking about. They've been used in several works of zombie fiction I've read, but the best name and explanation was in World War Z.

They called them "Quislings". The term "Quisling" is actually a modern day term for a person who collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Created during World War II, the word originates from the Norwegian war-time leader, Vidkun Quisling. He was the head of a domestic Nazi collaborationist regime during the Second World War. During the German invasion of Norway, he seized his political power in a Nazi-backed coup d'état. Since then, the word "Quisling" has become a synonym for traitor.

So it makes sense to call these feral types "Quislings", seeing as how they are collaborating with an occupying enemy force(the undead scourge), solely in the interest of their own survival. Even if that survival is strange, miserable and psychotic; they have no shame.
    [MENTION=39001]HondaS2kXD[/MENTION] [MENTION=41032]and138[/MENTION] [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION] [MENTION=25242]Z-Man[/MENTION] [MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION] [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION]

2. jwcoombs

Quisling--

In Max Brooks's novel World War Z, "quisling" refers to a human that had broken down psychologically due to the presence of zombies (often referred as Z-Shock) and thus begun acting like a zombie. These humans attack other humans mindlessly but are still attacked by actual zombies who can tell the difference. Despite numerous attempts by government-funded doctors, the psychological trauma of a quisling is too far gone for any chance of success of rehabilitation.

The phenomena is reportedly akin to Stockholm Syndrome. The living human subject becomes so fearful of zombies that they try to "appease" them, or "switch sides", in an effort to become the object of their fear. They begin to act like zombies, moving slowly, moaning, attacking and consuming live creatures, even becoming oblivious to the pain from various wounds they might sustain.

Although similar at first, there are noticeable differences between a quisling and a zombie. First, quislings tend to smell worse than zombies, due to the fact that their sweat glands and other "bodily functions" still work, and the high number of bacteria present on their flesh. Quislings also have a tendency to blink when a light is shone in their eyes, whereas zombies don't. Third, any wounds that they have on their bodies will either still be bleeding or heavily staph infected, again because bacteria and other microbes shy away from undead flesh. Any animals in the vicinity of a quisling will generally not panic as they would in the presence of a zombie.

Quislings are also like zombies in the fact that they can keep coming after sustaining a gunshot wound. Unlike zombies, quislings do not have a defense against Hydrostatic Shock, and will also die due to infection or blood loss.

Quislings are distinct from Ferals. Ferals are often children, who were abandoned in zombie-controlled areas at a young age but somehow managed to survive, but as little more than animals. Ferals, however, don't try to act like zombies as quislings do, and are obviously alive, running around, and doing what they can to avoid zombies.

The term "Quisling," originating with Norwegian politician Vidkun Quisling who assisted Nazi Germany to conquer his own country, describes traitors and collaborators. It was most commonly used for fascist political parties and military and paramilitary forces in occupied Allied countries which collaborated with Axis occupiers in World War II, as well as for their members and other collaborators

In contemporary usage, "Quisling" is synonymous with "traitor", and particularly applied to politicians who appear to favor the interests of other nations or cultures over their own. In American English, the term is less well known than the equivalent phrase "Benedict Arnold". Also, in Norwegian, when one removes the "q" and the "i" in "quisling" - the result is "(a) usling" which means "someone who is ignoble or iniquitous". This was used more or less humorously during WWII in Norway.

@HondaS2kXD @and138 @Neuropyramidal @Z-Man @legendx66 @BatmansHooker

#22 jwcoombs, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  3. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Uh oh. Poor Ken. I wonder if he'll get eaten by walkers or Quislings, or both?

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

If a pretender bites Ken, and he lives, this will add to the mystery for the group. They will think Ken is immune. Then they will throw him into a pit of walkers to demonstrate his immunity!! :)

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

There was no fight. I just didn't want to say anything without tags if you didn't read it. lol

The "zombie" on the cover is favoring the shoulder that is hurt. I'm pretty sure that supports the case that the talking zombies are actually people.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you see the fake synopsis for issue 130 that somebody tried to pass on?

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

No, where is it?

8. Sco

Sco Member

No offense but why the hell would I ask if I didn't read it...?

Thanks for replying, I'd rather see people wlaking with the herd than talking walkers.

9. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I never specified what issue I was talking about. It's not like it had a disclaimer lol. Plenty of people ask questions in these threads that aren't up to date. I would also prefer no talking walkers.

10. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I just read a summary somewhere. I'll try and find it again I forgot.

It started out with Magna not believing Negan and then Marco died and Ken ran (with his injury) to safety and got brought to Hilltop. When he got there Maggie threw him in a giant herd in the middle of Hilltop and then just left. lol Then it said magna killed Negan with a knife to the heart.

11. jwcoombs

That would be so awesome. LOL

But seriously, more and more I'm thinking these pretenders, or Quislings are going to be the "strangeness" Kirkman talked about bringing into the series. It also support his comment of how the mythology has changed over all this time in the apocalypse. I mean look how many cool subplots it could create; E.g. Rick wanting to rehabilitate it and bringing it into the community and all the shenanigans that come with that, the possibility of a false immunity, paranoia of walker-evolution spread and creating unnecessary panic that could cost lives. So many things could come from the discovery of one of these creeps; it would throw a big wrench in the works, and change a lot of things amongst the survivors.

12. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

SOME FAVORITES ARE GONNA DIE!!!!:hatchet::Chainsaw::dead::shining:

13. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

"You shut your ****in' mouth." -Rebecca.

14. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

[​IMG]

15. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I think the zombies talking could easily be just another troll, but it could also not be. I mean, talking zombies, zombies getting smarter and learning to fend for themsevles? It almost seems like the right direction for a comic series that's resolved a lot of the main character's moral conflicts and have a lot of human villians and groups, and just went a few years forward in time where there is a lot of peace and harmony, in a series that's supposed to be 1/3 of the way in.

If this was Harry Potter, I would say that yes, talking zombies growing smarter could actually be the right direction for this story. Hey, Rise of the Planet of the Apes worked.

16. Captain Trips

Captain Trips Member

Sorry, no talking zombies. Maybe in make-believe but this is real life...

Those are quislings.

17. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

That's exactly what I've been thinking.

18. jwcoombs

Yeah, we kind of figured that one already.