Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue #134 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by jwcoombs, Nov 12, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

What an issue!

Carl finally lets the MOTHERF*CKINGGRIMES out!
    [​IMG] [MENTION=39001]HondaS2kXD[/MENTION] [MENTION=41032]and138[/MENTION] [MENTION=8475]The[/MENTION]Walking Horn [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION] [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION] [MENTION=8303]Tony Davis[/MENTION] [MENTION=4329]legendx66[/MENTION] [MENTION=3700]H5N1[/MENTION] [MENTION=25242]Z-Man[/MENTION] [MENTION=4274]Alina[/MENTION] [MENTION=47172]ltomlinson31[/MENTION] [MENTION=8784]Gaycandybacon[/MENTION] [MENTION=24612]Sco[/MENTION] [MENTION=27521]kennyisalive94[/MENTION] [MENTION=9004]Alec96[/MENTION] [MENTION=38372]Jag[/MENTION] [MENTION=20011]Taeyeon'sBF[/MENTION]

Discuss!

#1 jwcoombs, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. jwcoombs

Carl's first melee fight and he kills two guys! That's my boy!

3. jwcoombs

4. jwcoombs

Like Father Like Son

[​IMG]

5. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Letter hacks, lol. When asked about Andrea, Sean replies with "She'll be FINE. I swear. ABSOLUTELY fine." And the same thing about Michonne later on. WORD EMPHASIS.

tHEY FUOOKING BETTER BE FINE, MAN.

Best part of this issue was Carl giving those bullies some real fun. Take dat.

6. jwcoombs

7. jwcoombs

Also, about Carl's fight; I couldn't help but notice a little Negan influence. After all, you can't deny that Negan has not only been a constant presence in Carl's life, but an influence as well. I wonder if some people will be disappointed with Carl's actions? Feeling as if his killing those boys completely defeats the purpose of everything Rick was trying to accomplish with him. Almost as if this is proof Rick failed as preserving Carl's humanity?

I also can't help but wonder is this is going to create some kind of law and order conflict? Will the people feel obligated, in their new society of rules and regulation, to prosecute, or worse, persecute, Carl in some way for his actions, or...crimes? This could be interesting. Because on the one hand; if Rick and the others want to succeed in reestablishing law and order and be taken seriously, they would have no choice but to prosecute and discipline Carl for his crimes. Which wouldn't be too severe, because if was self defense, but even in our modern society there is a fine line between self defense and manslaughter. Carl did get carried away. But on the other hand, if Carl is no prosecuted, he will be perceived as "above the law". And, if any one person is viewed by all as above the law, than there can be no law.

[​IMG]

#7 jwcoombs, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  8. jwcoombs

Something Kirkman said in the Hack feels to me like it could lend more support to my claims of Michonne being a villain, and somehow involved with the Whisperers.

In response to a reader asking if "Leatherface" was a direct influence for the style, and methods of The Whisperers Kirkman writes--

"Well, while I wouldn't say Leatherface was a direct inspiration in the idea itself(it was really just an evolution of Michonne's tactics with the zombie pets), the word "leatherface" was definitely used in describing things to Charlie on how I wanted these people to look. There's just only so many people who wear people's faces you know?"

I just can't help but wonder if that statement didn't have a more literal meaning? As in, no only is it an evolution of Michonne's tactics by Kirkman; but it's actually an evolution of Michonne's tactics in the story as well. Like literally, Michonne's own tactics evolved into this.

9. JFLP

JFLP Member

I'm really interested too in seeing what Carl has become. Spending time with Negan has not been a good thing.

Negan already predicted this: Carl would become a serial killer.

10. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

Holy shit.
    Coral no!

11. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

Will Carl get banished?

12. jwcoombs

This is the exact thing I'm worried about. Like I mentioned above, if they're seriously trying to reestablish law and order, and be respect and taken seriously about this new society of rules and regulations; then they would have no other choice but to prosecute Carl in some manner. Now, it doesn't have to be as severe as banishment form the Hilltop(although it would be a huge deal; as he could go back to ASZ); because not only was Carl defending himself and a woman, but he was also sneak-attacked and blindsided with a brick. With Carl's injury, and subsequent loss of skull fragments, and brain damage; that brick to the head could have been a lot worse than it was. So his actions were justified, but only to a point. Because, just like in our modern justice system; there is a very fine line between self-defense, and manslaughter. And it's apparent that Carl got carried away.

But, if they don't punish, or prosecute him in any way at all, then Carl will be perceived as "above the law". The problem with that not only being the fact that there will be claims of favoritism, and revolt among certain residents, especially ones who had been punished for transgressions of their own in the past; but also and more importantly the fact that if any one member of the communities is viewed by all as "above the law", than effectively there will be now law.

It could be a really interesting, "Law & Order" arc if Kirkman chooses to take that route.

13. jwcoombs

Also, dude, it's driving me freaking crazy, but, who are you?

I know that I know you, and you're a regular. But, you changed your username and I can't for the life of me remember your old one! Agh! :p

14. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Walkers_TWD I believe is the new mystery man the avatar gives it away

15. Sco

Sco Member

Oh baby what a sweet issue!!!! Carl and Sophia about to rule the world. Jesus..... my man Jesus!!

Can't wait to hear what information this whisper woman has. We know something good is coming with the cover of issue #136. Super excited!

16. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

That's not me :zombies_confused:

17. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Damn damn damn I could of sworn that was you man lol got my names all mixed up I felt like such a badass hahaha

• Like Like x 1
  18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. I'm worried about where this storyline is going. I'm thinking that Rick will resist trying/punishing Carl and his leadership will be called into question. It makes me think back to a few issues ago when Rick caught the patrolman slacking off and swiftly punished him by slapping him around, because any lapse in one's duties and responsibilities could result in the whole system falling apart. If he doesn't respond quickly and seriously to this incident (two murders, perhaps), he could be seen as a hypocrite.

It's interesting that we also see that guy Gregory challenging Maggie's leadership in this issue. I'm wondering if the citizens are at a point now where they feel safe enough to have questions and criticisms about the way the Safe Zone is being run; when the zone was first established, I suppose they were happy just to have people whom they could look up to in charge and therefore followed along without question.

I liked Carl's conversation with Sophia when he recalled that incident at the fences and thanked her for helping him to gain perspective about the walkers, that it was possible to be afraid of them while also having compassion for the people they once were. And it was quite fitting that they were talking about compassion and understanding just before the bullies struck.

19. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Carl and Sophia are the most interesting characters post time skip, imo. Not that the others aren't interesting, but these two have really grown up a lot.

About Carl possibly being banished, I think that's a pretty interesting route to take and could lead to some instability among the communities and perhaps fracture the relationships of the communities. The four communities have been established as a functional society, but this could potential leave some communities beginning to turn on each other. Maybe not to the point of hostility, but politically, it could damage the trust between the communities.

Obviously important characters like Rick, Andrea and Maggie are no doubt going to understand why Carl killed(?) those guys and won't hold it against him, but there's going to be pressure by the citizens to have Carl punished. I could see the boys' parents leading a movement to lock up this "murderer," and question why Negan was put away but Carl gets away with his violent crimes because he's Rick Grimes' son. Others like Gregory, who is already questioning Maggie, might jump at the opportunity to make Maggie (and Rick) look like hypocrites and bad leaders concerned with self-interest and gain back some power.

20. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Carl reminded me of Rick during the attacks of Thomas Richards and the marauders, combined.