Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue #134 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 23: Whispers Into Screams' started by jwcoombs, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Airborne

Airborne Member

Hello, I am worried about Carl. WTF man?

2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Not to worry. He's just like his dad is all. After all the time he's had to defend himself, he's honed that killer instinct to the point where once he starts up it's hard to stop. He got hit with the brick and autopilot kicked in. I don't think he really realized what happened until he told Maggie.

With regards to his future, I think most of the people we know will understand. Maggie, sophia, and probably Rick will take his side. But I see this creating some tension and possible struggles down the road. Especially for Maggie who it looks like is already wary of Gregory wanting to take over the hilltop. Self defense is hard to prove without a witness, and even if there were witnesses it is likely they weren't watching until Carl had the shovel. And god forbid one of those little shits lives-- that would be a game changer.

i see it going one of four ways.

1: <10% chance of happening: Carl is put in jail. I doubt it, but hey, I figure I'll mention it.
    2: ~30% chance of happening: Maggie is forced to exile Carl, facing pressure from the citizens and Gregory. If it goes this way, I think she also likely gets kicked out soon after, or leaves of her own accord.
    3: ~40% chance of happening: Maggie, Sophia, and Rick stand by Carl and refuse to prosecute him for defending himself and Sophia. This causes a massive shitstorm between Maggie and the hilltop as she is accused of playing favorites and Carl is said to be above the law.
    4: ~20% chance of happening: whisperers show up before anything can happen. If it went this way, I'd like to see carl save somebody's life (or a great many people) and that complicate things for if they do decide to prosecute him afterwards.

3. falconsfan1

falconsfan1 Member

Sorry for not worshipping the ground Carl and the rest of the Grimes walk on, I still feel like it was murder. The first one was justified, the second one was plain going WAY too far. Carl has issues. He never left 'survival' mode. I think he is just 'too far gone'. He is becoming a villain. If his dad does not knock some sense into him we may have another one eyed psycho on the loose.

Think of it this way: If you got mugged by two guy, but had a gun and shot one of your muggers, and the other one surrendered and put his gun down, but you still shot him multiple times, do you think you could still claim self defense? The answer is no, in case you were wondering.

4. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I could agree with you to an extent; if they were living in the world we live in. And, albeit that's exactly what they're trying so hard to achieve, and certain actions must be taken in response to events like this in order to further insure the sanctity of the civilized society they're struggling to achieve. The fact remains; the world is not even close to being safe enough for anyone to even think about abandoning "survival" mode. That would be naive and foolish, and most likely a death warrant.

That being said; yeah, it's known that Carl has a monster in him, and he has that monster to thank for much of his survival. But he is not, in the least bit, "too far gone". Originally, Kirkman intended, that when the entire group first arrived at the ASZ in issue #70, that after about 24 hours of residence, Rick, Carl and Michonne would leave. Leaving the others to live in the safe zone happily. The reason for this was that, Rick, Carl, and Michonne, couldn't bring themselves to live in a community like that. They felt uncomfortable and isolated, they had become too feral. They had pushed themselves to the darkest places, committed the worst acts, and had put away their humanity. They did this so they could preserve the humanity of the others in the group. It's the very reason why all of them were able to get along easily at the ASZ,the reason they were so happy and relieved to be there. They purchased the preservation of the souls and the very humanity of their group; and paid for it with their own. But, Kirkman also intended for them to return, after a few months in the wild. He stated they would come in from the cold, they would find their humanity, and embrace the warmth of being a part of a community, but it just took time, they weren't ready to be around people back in issue #70. The fact remained that they were all inherently good, they hadn't lost themselves, or given themselves away. They had just changed so much, out of the necessity of survival, that they had to come around, and come back to the light in their on way and time; they were never too far gone.

And, although the events wound up not playing out quite that way; the hearts and souls of Rick, Michonne, and especially Carl remained the same as described above. Carl is not a sociopath or a murdered. He took no joy or satisfaction from killing those two boys. His life was threatened, and he responded the only way he knew how. After everything he's been through, all he's seen and done, one brick-laden blow to the head and he was instantaneously transported back to the deadlands, fighting for his life. Those boys made the mistake of treating him like he was just another Hilltop-bred teenager; but had they been through the same trauma as he, they would have known what type of response to expect; they would have known he wasn't going to run and hide, or take a beating lying down. Those two boys picked a fight with a man, and paid dearly.

Also, Carl's lived through the Governor, the Hunters, the Marauders, the Scavengers, and Negan. He knows, from each one of those traumatizing experiences, that when you have an enemy, you eliminate him. You relentlessly chase him down, kill him graveyard dead, and make sure you saw the life go out of him with your own eyes. Otherwise he will stop at nothing, absolutely nothing, to find you and exact brutal vengeance upon you and everything you love. Carl learned this lesson the hardest of ways. He knows what happens when you leave and enemy alive; and he'd be damned if he ever lets it happen again. Carl knew(and we all knew it too), that those petty, arrogant, nasty little bullies, may have surrendered, they may have submitted to Carl, they may have walked away. And things could have been quiet and peaceful for a week, two weeks, two months. All the while, those boys/boy would be brooding, plotting, cringing and writhing with boiled-over anger everytime they saw Carl or Sophia walking around. Until eventually, one night while they're sleeping, or during some moment of vulnerability, those petty, vengeful bullies would strike; and this time they would make sure they gave them absolutely no chance to fight back, or tell of the events that were about to happen. I mean, they had clearly already plotted to very severely injure, and maybe even kill Sophia just because she bonked their heads together. So they certainly would have come for Carl had he let them live after working them over with a shovel. Way I see it, he was just securing his future.
    [MENTION=39001]HondaS2kXD[/MENTION]

5. HondaS2kXD

Everything jwcoombs said. Also, that's not even an accurate metaphor. I'd say it's closer to what happened to nicolas cage in the beginning of Con Air. Actually, it's uncannily similar. Someone else picked a fight. He turned it back on them, and when the dust settled he was alive and they were dead.

Word.

Basically, after all they've been through, the hardened members of he group struggle with the same things as combat veterans. They've spent years in a constant state of kill-or-be-killed. You NEVER can fully come back from that. Especially if you had to pick it up at the age of seven. You can learn to suppress it, yes. Perhaps even become good at it. But in the heat of the moment, Carl's fight or flight kicked in and chose fight. And fight he did. It was like an extended reflex. Like when Dawn shot Beth. It wasn't even a decision. In Carl's mind, it was like an alarm going off: "you've just been attacked with a potentially lethal weapon. Counter attack and eliminate the threat."

It was no different-- better or worse-- than when Rick killed Martinez or Carl's attempted rapist. They were threats. And Rick continued his counter attack even in the face of their attempts to surrender. And I think we can agree they got what they deserved. In the same way, the bullies attacked him and Sophia. The brick alone could've done SERIOUS damage to carl. And then they went to work on Sophia. They were threats. They didn't stop for her. Carl simply mirrored the attack back at them, and was better at it. Had he let them go, do you honestly think they would've become model citizens and turned their backs on bullying? Hell to the f*ck no. Their plan might've changed from "beat them up and make if look like self defense" to "kill them and make it look like an accident or self defense."

Carl isn't a saint. It wasn't a "good" thing he did. In that final panel of the issue where he told Maggie, it looked as if the first time he realized what happened was when it came out of his mouth. And he was terrified. But that being said, he's no murderer either. He's just the reluctant winner of a fight he didn't pick.

6. jwcoombs

Wow. That has got to be the most relevant usage of a Con-Air reference/analogy. :p

Also, concerning the bit highlighted in bold; I just wanted to point that out because I couldn't agree more,and it's the most accurate way to explain or describe the psychological state of many of the survivors when they first walked through the gate of ASZ or the Hilltop, or any safe zone for that matter.

That's how I always describe to a buddy of mine I work with when we talk about TWD and other societal-collapse scenarios. I always tell him that these people have some of the worst cases of PTSD. Except now there are no shrinks, no meds, no programs or rehabs, no "battle-buddy" service dogs to see them through the long and painful, sleepless nights. There's just them, and the things they've done, and the things they've seen, and the thoughts that will haunt their dreams and waking life alike for the rest of their lives. And although it can be coped with, and managed, even without all those modern advancements, it will never be overcome, and it will never go away. You just have to learn to get a handle on it, or be consumed by it.

And in Carl's case, he just simply isn't old enough to have had a decent enough chance to rein himself in. He hasn't had enough experiences to "know when to walk away". The truth of it is, ​Carl has never had the luxury of the choice of sparing a life.

7. HondaS2kXD

what? More so than me posting nicolas cage gifs to show [MENTION=26751]TheWalkingHorn[/MENTION] that he should play Jesus? (which is all the more likely now that Jared Leto is playing the Joker in Suicide squad) I dunno. It's close.

agreed.

Agreed. The only time he has spared a life is Negan, and that was only because Rick told him to, and he made it plain even straight to Negan's face that given the opportunity he would gladly shoot him dead.

8. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I saw that earlier and I'm so upset! Gahhhhh!!!

9. HondaS2kXD

Yeah. I figured. But it's okay. There is somebody else who I can picture playing Jesus.

10. TheWalkingHorn

I remember seeing that movie when I was still pretty Catholic, and I cried my eyes out. Specifically when Peter denied Jesus. *sigh*

Now I'm all pagan cuz of [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION]

11. HondaS2kXD

I'm a Christian-- just one with anger problems, road rage, and extreme profanity problems. And lots of other problems besides. But that's what His grace is for, right?

... Right?

*is struck by lightning*

12. TheWalkingHorn

I guess I'd consider myself agnostic, but really, really, really hope there is something beyond this. The thought of never seeing my uncle again is too heartbreaking to come to terms with otherwise.

13. HondaS2kXD

Yeah that's part of it for me. It gives me hope. Removes my fear of death. Helps me cope. I've always believed, if I'm honest. Sure, I've had some doubting times, but He's always been there for me in the end. To each their own. I don't want to get preachy.

14. TheWalkingHorn

The last time I went to church, less than a year ago, they were asking people to have a "prayer group" outside an abortion clinic. I haven't been back since.

Some things that happen in nature seem too perfect to me not to have been designed. But alas, I know nothing.

15. HondaS2kXD

Yeah. Those are the folks who tend to piss me off. The ones who think they can win people over by shoving their beliefs down their throats. It reminds me of a part of one of my songs I listen to-- Defiance, by ITMOL. Talking about what useless hypocrites those people are.

"I never knew you. I don't care. While you stood in the street corners, SCREAMING YOUR PRAYERS, I starved to death, naked and bare, but you never cared."

16. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

How do you think religion got started in the first place :p. We are the mayflies that are born at midnight, believe we are immortal by 6 a.m., creat a religion based on that yearn for immortality by brunch, and are wiped from existence before the sun sets the following day. :p. For the last 14 billion years I was widely content. I had no bills, and in the winter my car radio never got stuck on Fox and Friends. I suspect the next 14 billion will be equally tranquil. One thing I can guarantee you, is that wherever we go after we die, we will not be disappointed.

But I'm so happy to hear of your new universal viewpoint!! My next goal is to get you into the hobby of astrophotography. ;)

17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Your perfection is another beings demise. :p To certain viruses, syphilis is a utopia.

18. jwcoombs

God is real. There's no doubt about that. I've always been a staunch believer; very spiritual. But, I'm also one of those people who believes in both Creation and Evolution. I feel there is more than enough room for God in Science, as well as Science in God. It's all relative.

But anyone who denies God's existence is just foolish, naive, blind. Because, I'm willing to bet, the vast majority of us have all had moments, experiences in our lives similar, in some form, to what Rick experienced in TWD. He survived the outbreak in a coma, survived the coma, and then found his family, alive, against tall odds.

We've all had those little miracles occur in our lives, we've had divine grace and mercy offered to us in times of need. And to not acknowledge them as such is just ridiculous.

It's just like Hershel said-" Lori told me your story - how you were shot, the coma. Yet you came out of it somehow. You did not feel God's hand in yours? "
    "In all the chaos you found your wife and boy. Then he was shot and he survived. That tells you nothing?"

19. jwcoombs

Well, there's got to be a balance..

20. falconsfan1

falconsfan1 Member

Well played my good man/woman, you win this argument. but you have not seen the last of me *villanous cackle followe by coughing*.