Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 143 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 24: Life and Death' started by ltomlinson31, Jun 24, 2015.

1. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about Anna and had to think for a minute to remember who she even was. I really don't know if there is room for a third teenage female character right now when we really only have one teenage male character who is receiving any type of screen time.

If Kirkman wants to create some sort of love triangle for Carl it makes vastly more sense for it to be Sophia than Anna. Sophia is the one the audience is attached to and there really is no other story purpose for Sophia right now other than to be Carl's friend.

I know I would be a little upset if Anna (a girl who has only been on one page in the entire comic) starts getting screen time and story importance over a character we have been seeing since issue #2.

Infact I think I am going to start a thread now about what people think Sophia's role will be in the comic now that Carl seems to firmly view Lydia as his love interest.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a feeling that Anna's entire purpose was just to show us that Carl was a deep, complicated person, after the time jump. And don't even get me started on Annie. I imagine she is gone too.

3. lastcat3

Yep, If Kirkman had decided to keep some of those other boys that were close to Carl's age around I could see reason for keeping all these teenage girls in the picture at this time. But he decided to kill all them off so he could focus entirely on Carl.

4. lastcat3

Edit. I've been looking at the Wiki site at all the characters and it seems there were other teenage boys in volume 22. However most of them seem to have just been serving purposes similar to what we are talking about with these female characters.

5. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. I'm expecting to see him wounded and on the verge of death rather than murdered already.

6. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

He's not that good a decision maker. He kept Negan alive afterall. Maggie did the right thing but I agree she could be more diplomatic in general and try and take a queue from Rick on leadership qualities cause he is a good leader

doesn't seem like mental toughness to me....just seems like he'd rather suck it up and be a chump then not have a woman at all in the ZA

That's gonna be awesome! Can't wait to see what types of weapons they come up with to fight the megaheard!

7. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Yep. This is my perspective as well. I suppose even in the Zombie Apocalypse, there is room for plenty of Beta Males...

8. lastcat3

Please use the word confident or unconfident. Because that is what it really is. People who try to use the words Alpha and Beta just make themselves sound like degenerates. I think having a character nicknamed 'Alpha' in the comic is one of the most ridiculous things that has come out thus far in it. Then again though coming up with nicknames hasn't really ever been Kirkman's strength. Hopefully he stops the trend of trying to give nicknames to the villians.

9. boba772

boba772 Member

So the Governor got his nickname because he was the Governor of his town. I call the mayor in my town "Mayor" so I see nothing wrong with his nickname. Then we get Chris and Nega, two normal names. And Alpha is her nickname because she is the Alpha Dog. That is the whole point of how the Whisperers live. Very uncivilized. Not degenerates.

10. lastcat3

'Governor', 'Jesus', and 'Alpha' are all pretty lame nicknames. Governor was kind of good simply because it was the first nickname we got. 'Jesus' was pretty cheesy but was passable simply because the guy looked like our paintings of Jesus. By the time we got to 'Alpha' though it was just roll your eyes time and thinking that Kirkman simply isn't a very witty nickname giver.

Here is a show that had writers who knew how to give nicknames and did a great job at it.

[video=youtube;or_BGsW7Mgg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or_BGsW7Mgg[/video]

The TWD show does a better job with nicknames most likely because it has other writers on it aside from Kirkman.

#70 lastcat3, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  11. boba772

boba772 Member

That show was great. xD But his nicknames were meant to be humourous. TWD has serious nicknames. Alpha is very fitting, as she is the alpha dog. She is literally the head of her pack, aka the Alpha. Especially considering how animalistic they act.

12. lastcat3

TWD prides itself on giving a realistic portrayal of how people would react to living in an apocalyptic world. Well how realistic is it for a small and loosely tied together group of survivors to start calling a person 'Governor' in a post apocalyptic world? You could see calling someone their leader once in a while and their regular name most other times but to call them 'Governor' virtually all the time is a little silly.

And 'Jesus' well why don't we just call every guy with long hair and a beard 'Jesus'.

And as far as 'Alpha' yeah it sure does make a lot of since that someone would force people to call her that and be able to get away with it doesn't it. Anybody who did try to do that (especially a woman) would likely get killed very very quickly.

Kirkman just needs to have characters stick to their real names because he is just not very good with this nickname stuff. Let the characters create their own image based on their actions without the use of any lame nicknames.

The only way calling this character 'Alpha' would make any sense at all would be if every character within that group had a nickname. But so far we havn't heard of any others and we only know Lydia as Lydia and she has not mentioned any nickname she was given.

13. boba772

boba772 Member

I thought Lydia was "daughter" to Alpha. I have not heard anyone else use a name, other then Lydia calling to her friend "Joshua" before he died.

14. lastcat3

Lydia is her real life daughter and she told Lydia to call her Alpha just like everyone else does. If this Whisperers group was truly realistic in their behavior Alpha would have been dead long ago based on how she has acted thus far. I don't think she was thought out quite as well as Negan or even the Governor was.

15. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I should apologize for my use of the word BETA. it really is a more modern phrase than was intended. I have a bit of a skewed view of the world, an would not want anyone to think i see only black and white in a world of greys. I should have said that Eugene shows a lot of weakness over a situation he had no control over. He should have shown a bit more backbone over his girlfriend taking her love to another. In current society, he would not have had her in the first place, but her actions are reprehensible towards the man she chose to be with. if her choice was to be with another, she should have just been with another. But Rosita has shown to gravitate to a male that can take care of her as opposed to a person she actually cared for. My bad.,

16. lastcat3

The Eugene/Rosita romance is just another cliche that we see sometimes in the comics. Kirkman is great with dialogue and overall pictures of the story but he does have a habit of writing into cliche's occasionally.

17. Watching Dead

Watching Dead Member

I might have misunderstood the story line. I thought that she found out she was pregnant after Eugene and her started getting serious. If Eugene and her were together and she cheated and is now having a baby then yes I would never stand for that. If they got together after the encounter and after both of them found out about the pregnancy then to me that is different. It also depends on one's feelings about love. True love can overcome for a lot of acceptance of a partner's situation. If someone you have a true love for has a situation that inconveniences you but is of no fault of their own I always feel it can be worked out. Working through difficulty in a relationship is a sign of strength to me. Staying with a women that cheated on you and is going to have a baby as a result then yes I 100% agree with you that is chump material because you are choosing to stay with someone that completely disrespected you in almost the most heavy way possible. So I guess the question is did she hook up and get pregnant while her and Eugene were technically together or before?

Yeah I guess again I might not be looking at all the factors in enough detail. When I read the book it didn't come of to me as cheating. I though she hooked up, then she fell in love with Eugene, then she finds out she is pregnant. If its - she fell in love with Eugene, then she hooked up, then she finds out she is pregnant. then yeah to me that is unforgivable or a long long process of forgiveness.

#77 Watching Dead, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015