Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Issue 147 Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 25: No Turning Back' started by BatmansHooker, Oct 13, 2015.

1. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I got confused when Andrea woke Carl up in the middle of the night and told him Lydia was already downstairs. I thought that meant she brought her from somewhere else, and that Michonne either saw them enter the Grimes' house or was guessing Lydia was there. But Lydia's staying there is simpler and more logical. :p

So this makes me wonder how Michonne thought she was going to sneak Lydia out of the house. Presumably, she thought Rick, Andrea, Carl, and Lydia were all at home and (hopefully) asleep. Michonne herself could sneak past all those people, but she'd have to wake Lydia up, explain the plan to her, and then, even if Lydia was agreeable to going, they'd both have to sneak out. It doesn't seem feasible.

Also, when we first see Michonne outside the house, her katana is drawn, suggesting she's up to no good. At some point she sheaths it again, because she draws it when Rick catches her. Of course, this is misdirection because we're supposed to think she's coming to kidnap Lydia and then our expectations (and Rick's) are flipped when she says she's come to help. However -- dun, dun, dunnnn -- maybe Kirkman will flip the script on us yet again and reveal that she really was up to no good and then lied when Rick caught her. Because really, why did she have her katana drawn outside the house?

2. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Yes, I definitely agree. I'm still not sure what the head turn was about -- so many possibilities -- but it wasn't for Eugene's benefit.

3. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

I thought this was a pretty sweet character issue.
    Loved that conversation between Rick and Michonne.
    Loved seeing how much Eugene has changed since we first met him.
    That end panel was interesting. I'm assuming that won't really go anywhere, but damn, imagine if one of those two doesn't make it out of that alive (and let's face it, we know which one that would be), I reckon that would unleash a world of shit to play out in coming issues.
    And from the latest cover preview, we know Rick is about to get serious.

4. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

Loved this issue!
    the highlight of this one has to be that talk between Michonne and Rick, great writing from Kirkman, absolutely loved it!
    I can understand Eugene's reasons and I think Rick is underestimating him, Eugene's probably working on something, creating some kind of plan to attack Alpha and the whisperes.
    That cliffhanger will get resolved really fast next issue but I still fear for Andrea, with everything that has been set up, the talk she had with Rick, it is possible she won't make it to the hilltop.
    Overall great issue with very amazingly written character moments.
    As for my predictions, I only have one, I think this "Betrayal" will be done by Rick. He will probably do something to someone that goes completely against everything he has said and done for the past years, he will betray his people and ultimately, himself.

5. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

Based on the last panel of this current issue, could this 'big betrayal' coming up be something like this perhaps?:

Just throwing a couple theories out there!!!

6. Moor-Angol

Moor-Angol Member

it might be as you said, also #148 cover might be Alpha crying for Lydia's death, a war starts between the communities and the whisperers, thus Rick's statement "no more kills" will be... betrayed :)

on the other side, Andrea could be killed by Lydia, Rick becoming alone decides to do what he never thought he could have done : release Negan and all together start a war against the whisperers (but this would not justify the betrayal...)

also thinking back about past issues I have to say that "A new beginning", the philosophy created by Rick about not killing anyone and bringing back the rules of the past society, can't be successful in that world, Maggie's way of thinking is the only way to survive in that cruel world.
    Rick worked 2 (?) years to estabilish a peacefull community, but as soon as a new "community" approached them, there is only one solution to follow : fight them if you wanna survive
    they killed 12 people of them, estabilish a line to not cross to mark the territory, so it's clear that "Rick philosophy" can't work, you have to fight, to kill, to do bad things if you want to survive (and the #150 cover could mean this), so this would the betrayal, the no turning back point...

• Like Like x 1
  7. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

Actually this could be seen as a betrayal, to MAGGIE. She was angry enough that Rick let Negan live after well, you know. Rick actually releasing him and working WITH him, I know won't sit well with her. And I can kind of see her point. But I can see Rick's. Maggie didn't see that giant herd of walkers Alpha showed Rick. She doesn't know just what kind of force they are up against.

Regardless, I have a feeling that a big part of this whole betrayal situation is Lydia...

8. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

So now I'm wondering if given how we left things in 147, if the person in the skin mask on the cover of 48 couldn't be Lydia, given that a possibility is she harms/kills Andrea and while Carl might not kill her, he might send her away knowing that Rick won't protect her now, given the weight of his conversation with Michonne.
    Could explain the tears, though if this WAS the case, would the mask come from returning to the Whisperers or making her own?

9. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Basically, f*ck Lydia.

10. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

No, that's exactly what got Carl in this mess. If anything, chastity belt Lydia.

11. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Negan was only so powerful because he had the saviors behind him. They are no longer loyal. Negan is just one man, it would really make no sense to release him for any reason.

12. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I'd prefer just a swift death to Lydia, personally.

13. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's not as funny.

14. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I don't know man, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

15. Moor-Angol

Moor-Angol Member

I don't agree with the bolded part
    Negan is a leader in the same way Rick is, Negan has good strategies as Rick had, Negan knows how to fight as Rick does (did? :D )
    Basically Negan is Rick's nemesis

Lydia will kill Carl, Rick releases Negan to revenge his son's death, Lucille will meet Lydia and we'll all be happy !!!

Seriously talking, I still think that "betrayed" is something like the concept, not the action, as I explained in my previous post, Rick's utopia to bring back the old world, started after the end of AOW. The circumstances will force him to change his point of view, Alpha's horde, 12 people brutally killed and something which probably happen on #148.
    Or if I have to believe into a real "betrayal" I would give my 2 cent to Maggie and Eugene, they really don't see Rick anymore as a leader as he was in the past, #146 was pretty exhaustive...
    but I have to admit that the way Michonne tried to get Lydia is a little suspicious

16. Zalanii

Zalanii Member

17. Zalanii

Zalanii Member

Rick just explained how much he loves Andrea to Michonne.

If I know my literary devices...I think she's doomed.

18. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

Haha it's taken me about 7-8 months to read to issue like, 30ish? Somewhere around there. I'm at the part where Michonne and Gov have their smackdown.

Glad to see you back. <3

19. Laurieellen

Laurieellen Well-Known Member

Oh no! Please don't let that happen, Kirkman.

20. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

If Andrea diva, I will riot