Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

It was so dark

Discussion in 'Episode 505 - Self-Help' started by Wombat, Nov 11, 2014.

1. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I don't have this issue. It would definitely irk the f*ck out of me if I did, though.

2. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

YES I only realized this on the third rewatch... he said "The preacher didn't see another way out."

Before the bus crashed he was saying he was thinking about the preacher and what he did. I'd say Eugene identifies with him.

3. Wombat

Wombat Member

Neither was the humming... :s

4. Lauri

Lauri Member

At one point I was wondering why I was even bothering to watch the episode because of how dark and quiet it got. I felt like I was staring at a black TV screen- which I pretty much was.

5. Bernadette

Bernadette Well-Known Member

I got pretty irritated while they were at the book store. I started to make a dramatic exit scene from the room, but decided I still wanted to watch.

I also may have to start doing re-watches with closed captioning. Apparently Eugene's Kentucky Waterfall acts as a muffler.

6. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Both this time and during 4 Walls and a Roof I found myself staring at a black screen for quite a long time wondering what the hell was going on. It was probably only a few minutes both times, but when you're watching the show it seems like forever (at least on first watch).

In 4 Walls and a Roof it was when they showed Rick and his group leaving the church and then Gareth's group going in. All I could see was the outline of the trees.

This time it was the beginning of the scene with Glenn and Abraham by the window.

As for Eugene, I can hardly ever understand him, either because he's mumbling, or he's speaking clearly but saying a whole lot of mumbo jumbo! LOL

7. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Thanks for the tip. Ill re watch on amc.com too. It was pitch black for me that whole scene.

8. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Yes, I mentioned this darkness on the complaints thread too. I thought it might just be how it comes across in England and am heartened that it's worldwide:Grin:
    ...That hopefully means they'll do something about it!
    Btw, a good idea to make a separate thread about it.

9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Huh… I'm with Foxtel, don't have that issue. Most of the time the dark scenes are, well, obviously dark, but still visible.

10. The Samurai

The Samurai Member

It was on the dark side for me, but I was able to make out things going on.

11. CheesyBirdMess

[​IMG]

I know I did! I was like "what's going on..."

12. CheesyBirdMess

I've seen a few people on the meme sites posting things like this:

[​IMG]

13. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

OMG, I LOVE this!!! :zombies_lol: Yes, that's EXACTLY what I thought!

14. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Swear to God I thought the same thing !!

I grabbed my cell phone and was about to call my cable co (got them on speed dial because of this) and bitch somebody out. lol :p

15. Jato

Jato Member

I was staring at the corpse on the left waiting for it to do something. Never did of course :/

16. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

This is what i truly think makes this show so good in my mind. in retropsect, we have to watch it over and over again to see everything as was intended.

17. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

Yeah, I couldn't see a thing when they were killing the hunters either. And unfortunately I'm in Italy, and the videos on amc.com are unavailable in my country. :(

18. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

OK, this sort of thing is an indication of a production suffering extreme budget stress. Properly setting up lighting so that things are visible and properly setting miking so that things are hearable takes a lot of time and is one of the biggest production costs. I'm beginning to suspect that they blew their wad on the first episode CGI and so they've had to make compromises on budget costs for basic production values. The CGI on the mega herd was truly pathetic. CGI costs a lot of money (for very little payoff in my opinion).

I hope that AMC are not shooting themselves in the foot by putting one of their greatest money spinning shows into budget stress. But I don't trust television executives not to be that stupid or that small minded and short sighted.

19. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

I think this is a valid point, I have a 42" Samsung plasma TV, with full 1080i in HD from my provider. and i shouldn't have to adjust my tv picture settting to see this. I had to tweak all my standard setups to get clarity recently.

20. CheesyBirdMess

Yeah I am noticing a lot of the 'kills' aren't looking as realistic, either. Very shonky and often times the weapon is clearly not even near the impact point...