Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Jacqui vs Andrea

Discussion in 'Episode 106 - TS-19' started by Fuzzbottom, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Fuzzbottom

Fuzzbottom New Member

Just started watching the show and binged Season 1 a couple nights ago, it was a great ride but I was really bothered by an aspect of the finale. Toward the end with the CDC about to go blammo Jacqui and Andrea both give up and decide to die in the explosion. I get why anyone in that position would want to do so, especially Andrea after having to blow her own sister's brains out. But while T-Dog makes a brief effort to convince Jacqui to leave, it's Dale who comes back and refuses to leave Andrea, choosing to die with her rather than leave her behind. Even keeping in mind they had a moment over Andrea's sister's body and bonded, it just seemed so odd he would go through so much to save Andrea and not even glance at Jacqui while he was doing it. Why no love for Jacqui? There's even a shot where they show Jacqui watching Dale and Andrea's conversation and I want to believe her face was saying, "Sure, risk your life to save the pretty white lady but leave the older black lady to die. Thanks a lot Uncle Salty."

I haven't started Season 2 to see if they address this, but I hope they do. Good zombie stories are more about social commentary than exploding brains and this show is definitely trying to be more than Zombieland. They tackled racism earlier with Merle but racism isn't just calling people the N word. The guy with the confederate flag and noose is an easy target. The more difficult racism to address is the subtle, unspoken assumption that white people have a greater value.

Which leads to larger ideas of who we (the USA) as a society value. It's not just about race. The rich, white, young, attractive, Christian cheerleader is going to be assigned a much higher value than the poor, brown, old, ugly, Muslim grocery clerk. But now that civilization is apparently gone, who will we value? Those most able to survive. The strong, smart, capable people. I'd like to see the show explore these themes and hopefully avoid the usual pitfalls of reinforcing existing social prejudices which this scene seemed to do.

Anyways, first time post and on an area of the forum apparently no one reads anymore. As I was writing this I discovered there's some existing discussion about racism in the show which I quickly glanced at so I wanted to mention I don't think the show is racist (at least not overtly and not so far- the great switch with the Latino "gang" protecting the nursing home was proof of that and a very nice curveball) and I didn't join any existing discussions because I'm so early in the show that I'm not familiar with the events being discussed. But I will be soon, good stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Amy and Andrea traveled on the road for a bit with Dale before they came to the camp. They had been together since the start of the outbreak. Jacqui was just a member at the camp that Dale didn't know as well.

3. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

Because Dale had very low standards (almost dying for TV Andrea) while Jacqui was out of his league. In fact, when she and Jenner held hands as the clock counted down, it was 1000x more emotional than Dale & Andrea arguing about blowing each other up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 92FS

92FS New Member

Looking into it wayyyyyyyy too much.

Dale even walks up to Jacqui after she says she's staying, looks lovingly, and genuinely has concern with his hands up as to dissuade her from her decision.

Andrea's connection to Dale is explained in Season 2 when they had a brief history before they all met with the camp. Also, in Wildfire "you're the first girls I ever cared about since my wife died". People have connection. Nothing to do with race, to say it is is just simply silly and reaching. Enough.

5. RicksdaMan

RicksdaMan Active Member

Jacqui vs Andrea had nothing to do with race but storyline and purpose. The show is based on a comic book and Jacqui does not exist in it - neither does TDog. Andrea's story is vast (which they screwed royally in S3) which meant she wasn't going to die at that point anyway.