Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Jessie does not appear to be a beaten wife!

Discussion in 'Episode 515 - Try' started by jackson04, Mar 23, 2015.

1. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Maybe..

2. ella_k

ella_k Member

You have a problem.

Sorry but it`s surreal that you are accusing Jessie in any form. Are you seriously implying that it`s her FAULT she chose him as a partner some 10 years ago? Anybody with any real relationship experience would not think like that. I`m sure Pete didn`t beat her up on their first dates.

Dubious judgment? You are either very inexperienced or have through some miracle been dealt a very generous hand of cards in life.

Yes women can be psychologically abusing --- but so can men. And even if she was, that does not make it ok for him to beat her.

Unless he was hitting her out of self-defense against her physical attacks - nothing makes it ok for him to behave the way he does. No matter what a a-hole she can be or how much she "flirts" with other men.

#102 ella_k, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ella_k

ella_k Member

That line bothered me as well. If Rick would have said: "Sure, I`d do it for anyone who`s in trouble because this is just WRONG" I would have been: "super, let`s do it". But his "No, I`m only doing it for you" would have felt just messed up.

4. Darylette

Darylette Member

Leaving is the most dangerous time in domestic violence, that's when most DV murders happen and there's a known escalation in violence, rape and all abuse. It's also when the children are most likely to be harmed. Think about it this way....look at how badly he's treating her when she's doing what he wants. What will he do when she goes against him and leaves?

Pete is priceless as a surgeon. There's no courts to protect her. She's expendable to the group, he is worth gold. She's no way out.

5. Darylette

Darylette Member

In my time working with DV survivors I've worked with police officers, doctors, lawyers and women who are VERY hard and have done jail. Literally anybody can be a victim and some of the perps are on the outside incredibly charming and nice men. Most DV Abusers only use violence a couple of times a year because you don't need to use violence very often for it to be effective. When a relationship is on the whole ok (stable income, family loves him, attentive father etc) people will often put up with it because it's better than the alternatives (single parenting, lose friends and family, kids want dad back, feel worthless etc).

When the victim leaves the perp ALWAYS makes them pay. They always have something over her, whatever she cares about. Perps out sexuality, spread lies, divide families, turn children against their parent etc. Things ALWAYS get worse when the victim leaves.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

This isn't limited to domestic violence though. I mean, how many times have you seen a couple split up and the woman says, "I'm going to make him pay for..." That to me seems almost like a normal part of a bad break up.

7. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

Oh, I hadn't thought of how she parallels Dawn.

But it fits. She keeps order through rules and keeping those she thinks are "essential" happy. In Dawn's case, it was the rapist cop. Here , it is the wife beating doctor.

Now, doctors are hard to come by, but a decent person would say something. Would try to stop it.

Wonder what Pete would do if another doctor came into town.

8. cakebythepound

I definitely don't think there's one kind of domestic violence victim, but the problem with Jessie's atypical behavior is that they made Pete's SO typical. It doesn't make sense for her to be on the other side of that acting like the happy, perfect mom. If they both came off as sunshine and roses, that would make more sense, but they let us know in Pete's very first scene that he was an asshole.

Jessie's tell didn't have to be anything super obvious, but this show is so heavy-handed, it's hard to understand why they wouldn't give her any kind of shading here. Not a scrape, not a dubious look in her eye. They couldn't even have her always having her arms covered? Nope, let's put her in a sleeveless dress for the party and show zero bruises. For me, it's more about consistent storytelling than her having to be Carol-like.

9. Bettie

Bettie Active Member

Not only is he priceless as a surgeon....she has literally nowhere to go. They live inside walls. She can't got to a new place to make a life, because, for her, there is no other place. Her only hope is that a. Pete changes and becomes the man she clearly once thought he was (not likely) or b. she finds someone strong enough to protect her and her kids.

10. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Terrorizing people (with actions to back up those terrorizing words) is not part of a normal break up - not even an ugly one.

11. MingoFan

MingoFan New Member

I realize I'm about to talk about two completely separate story arcs here, so this won't be happening. But, honestly, since Pete is so priceless as a doctor that he pretty much gets away with his heinous behavior, and since Deanna has this grand vision of what Alexandria is going to be, why don't they gas up the RV and the van, drive back to Atlanta, and bring back the other doc, the remaining constables, and the wards/minions from the hospital where Beth died? They need more help, they need more protection, they will most likely need more than one doctor at some point, and having 2 makes Pete less able to get away with being a crap husband/father.

Just a thought :) I realize it won't be happening...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I didn't mean TERRORIZING them, but you've never seen someone give their SO's clothes to Goodwill, or key their car? I'm not saying it's good behavior, but It's not like it doesn't happen.

13. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Of course but I was reading in the context of abusive relationships.

Abusive people stalk, threaten partners physically, threaten their life, threaten to ruin their partners reputation, threaten to take custody of the children or threaten to harm the children. - and that is all said and promised (along with a good beating and all the other psychological and financial abuse that goes along with an abusive relationship) before anyone has even thought of leaving. It isn't an empty threat either and that is why it is dangerous to leave.

If TWD wanted to fully capture the true nature of abusive relationships they'd have to devote an entire season to nothing but Jessie and Pete. Nobody wants that :zombies_mad:

If anyone is reading this thread and needs help - call a domestic abuse hotline. They help people come up with safety plans while you are in the relationship and how to navigate getting out of one. There are avenues of support even if you leave with your baby on your hip and nothing but the shirt on your back.

• Like Like x 1
  14. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

True, but that's simple spiteful behaviour, and I think [MENTION=9038]Darylette[/MENTION] was referring to threatening or manipulative behaviour designed to keep the victim in their place, like controlling the bank accounts, using the children as pawns, conducting a smear campaign against the victim that involves the authorities as well as friends and family, threatening to hunt the victim down and hurt them or someone close to them if they try to leave, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  15. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

This thread is starting to remind me of some of the conversations that were had after the hospital episodes. Some people were saying that the residents of Grady Memorial were in part responsible for, or at least acquiescent about, the abuse they suffered there because they stayed and didn't try to escape. The problem with that line of thinking is that escape meant leaving the relative safety of the hospital to try to survive in a world overrun with zombies.

Similarly, as you point out, Jessie must either live with Pete or try to survive with her son outside the walls. It's not much of a choice.

16. Lt. Col. Cookie

Yeah, I felt this every time when I saw her interacting with Rick. I found it kinda of coincidental that she starts flirting with the guy who's a cop

17. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

It would be a great solution, if they had the abilities to make a 1200 mile round trip.

18. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Oh Zeus, I remember that discussion. It was like the walls came down at a crazy factory that day.

19. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

It was at least a week's worth of dealing with escaped crazies. ;) I really hope this Jessie situation doesn't lead to something similar.

20. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I think that's a pretty ingenious and hilarious suggestion.

Rick: "Hmmmm, I know where we can find more medical supplies. And there's a tank just sitting around not being used."