Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Jesus and the painting

Discussion in 'Episode 611 - Knots Untie' started by Mr Bag, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Could be a reference to Maggie or some of the groups in the comics we haven't seen...maybe Jesus wants them to destroy each other so he can take over?

2. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

The Queen of Spades signifies a number of different things. It could be a twist on the fact that they are black and white lovers. In some contexts the Queen of Spades is considered to be unlucky so I guess it could be a bad omen. But it can also be representative of a warrior woman which is definitely fitting for Michonne.

The way I looked at it was less symbolic though. Jesus just walked in on them and basically has to step out briefly while they get dressed. He can't go far and the situation is also slightly awkward. So he grabs the first thing he sees and just starts looking at it. He kinda sighed when he saw it almost like he was intrigued but not in an impressed sort of way. He is used to seeing these ornate victorian era paintings on the walls of the mansion at Hilltop and now he's looking at a print of a playing card. I got the impression that he felt they were less cultured and overall less civilized, but in an endearing sort of way.

3. Fan

Fan Member

That's interesting.

4. Lolly92660

Lolly92660 Member

Since the picture is not a queen of spades but three queens (the spade just happens to be at the top), might I throw out the lyrics to Sting's "Shape of My Heart"?

I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
    I know that the clubs are weapons of war
    I know that diamonds mean money for this art
    But that's not the shape of my heart

If you want to stretch some symbolism, maybe the spade, clubs, and hearts in the picture are supposed to represent either Alexandria or Hilltop. Both have plenty of "swords and clubs" (either mechanized in Alexandria's case, or more literal swords and clubs in Hilltop's case) and you could say they both have plenty of heart. What they don't have is diamonds/wealth. Alexandria is lacking food, and Hilltop is being plundered regularly by the Saviors, with a suggestion that Gregory might have shorted his tribute during the most recent drop.

5. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

Jesus may just be waiting on Carl's parents to get dressed...Did he not just see Rick's spade?

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Its a reference to Alice in Wonderland.

Have they not all fallen down the rabbit hole? ;)

7. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

I'm pretty sure they did not intend the sexual meaning of it. It probably has to do with the astrological significance.

Often a shining example of power and authority, the Queen of Spades embodies the innate ability to achieve. As born leaders, they sense the need to rise to the top and will experience deep fulfillment when they answer their call to greatness. Their position in Jupiter on the Crown Line in the Master Spirit Script, sitting right next to the King of Spades, contributes to their ability to shine and be noticed for their talents and gifts. Intelligent, well-spoken and independent, they are naturals in positions of public speaking, education and writing. Supported by their Jack of Clubs in Mercury, innovative ideas and excellent communication skills flow in and through with ease.

Why do I think this? Because in the comic book/graphic novel (whatever the right thing is to say these days):

8. Montyzuma

Montyzuma Member

Or, the painting was hung crooked, that bothered him, so he rehung it nice and straight.

9. walkon

walkon Active Member

How about:

Queen of Spades = black woman, white male

No diamonds = no engagement and marriage

Club = War and Michonne meets Negan's club

10. Adam Poole

Adam Poole Member

I'll be damned, you are right it isn't the Queen of Spades at all. The suit is usually directly below Q and then repeated below and inward from the Q. This is just three queens holding each suit on a scepter, minus the diamonds.

So now I definitely think that each of the three suits represents a group and it seems pretty obvious what the symbolism is for each. Rick's group is all heart. Negan's group are armed thugs who rely on force, so definitely clubs. And Hilltop are laborers, primarily farmers so spades.