Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Jesus camp (The Hilltop)

Discussion in 'Episode 610 - The Next World' started by jojo, Feb 24, 2016.

1. jojo

jojo Member

In the next episode previews I've seen. They're going on a road trip with Jesus in the R.V. I'm guessing Jesus comes clean and tells Rick&Co. that he also has a walled community and takes them to it, or promises supplys or something for a ride home maybe.

But question for comic readers in realtion distance to Alexandria how far away is the "Hilltop"? In my minds eye given the name I pictured it just over the hill on a "hilltop". Closely by but hidden away off the road where as if someone from Alexandria had been out on a run would've never known it was there even having passed by it couple times.

2. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

3. jojo

jojo Member

Thanks 20 miles isn't to far. I bet Addein and Nicholas passed it before. I'm assuming it's been astablished a while to.

#3 jojo, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They originally state that it is approximately 20 miles away, but later on in the comics, after the path is cleared between the two communities, the trip takes 2 days on horse. This suggests a greater distance. So its really hard to say.

5. jojo

jojo Member

Thanks I'm sure the T.V. adaptation will be different anyway. It's going to be interesting and fun to watch a new community introduced. A somewhat friendlier relationship than the Woodbury for sure. I'm really looking forward to it.

6. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

i dont recall them mentioning it in the comics, but i wonder why they go mostly with horse transportation? there must still be some working cars and gas around with the world's population at an all time low, no? maybe they just want to be green?

7. Neuropyramidal

Well at that point the comics are 5+ years into the ZA. Most gas would be pretty bad by then, I think.

8. Zombie_Rhino

you certainly have a point. i guess i left out the part where i should have mentioned that someone like Eugene would have to treat the gas or even produce some of their own. I figured he (or someone left in the world) would probably possess that knowledge or could learn it since there isn't a whole lot else going on!

9. Neuropyramidal

I suppose theoretically they could produce biofuel, but I'm not sure how realistic that would be. Its a pretty complex process, and it took teams of hundreds of scientists years to do it the first time. I think probably with the small number of people they have, the most realistic course is to just switch to alternate sources of transportation, like horses and bikes.

10. Zombie_Rhino

speaking of sources of fuel and such, do they discuss how Alexandria has working electricity? I believe it was generators, but not sure how they are working at this point. any idea?

11. DeadReckoning

DeadReckoning Member

Not sure, but wasn't GN Alexandria also using solarpanels? Those things last up to 20 years...

12. Neuropyramidal

They have the big solar panels. Of course in real life that wouldn't be enough panels to give them full working houses like that.

13. J K

J K Member

Was just looking at the comic when they first travel to the Hilltop. It's 20 miles north on the other side of DC. It takes half a day to get there in a car. I don't know why the hell it takes so long to go 20 miles, you could walk that in 6.5 hours. I'm sure they have to go around DC and avoid major highways that are all blocked up but still.

14. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I think they do OK with their portrayal of electricity. Most people still are using candles/ oil lamps at night, so you figure the power is just going for refrigeration, the clinic, etc. Reasonable.

15. Neuropyramidal

Well, they'd have to have an alternate source of energy to really portray the picture they are trying to imply. A big energy drain is hot water. You've got 50 people taking warm showers. And Virginia gets pretty cold in the off season, with no gas companies operating. We went through it last season, and based on the best estimate of the square footage of the panels. even if there were only 2 working refrigerators total in the community, and only about 2 60 watt bulbs on per building for 4 hours total per day, that would leave enough energy for each resident [based on 50 residents] to take something like a 30 second luke warm shower 3 times per week. I don't think that's exactly the picture we are suppose to have of alexandria, especially when you add the equipment in the clinic. I think a reasonable supplement is propane, although they've never shown a tank.

#15 Neuropyramidal, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  16. el_hombre

el_hombre Member

We need Frank Hill to advise us on the realistic power supply available from propane.
    I'm not willing to accept information on the merits of propane from any other source.

17. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

deanna said to them the first day they got there that they have electricity and hot water but not a lot so use it sparingly. It makes sense to me (although for them to have 24/7 electricity they would have to have the amount of solar panels they already have for EACH HOUSE), not the whole community, lol

18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, I deliberately looked the other way on the hot water. Electric hot water heaters? What a drain on the community! On the other hand, they did show the shower scene in the day when the solar cells would be generating. Perhaps each house gets one shower a week?

19. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

i believe that they have solar panels. Pretty sure they mentioned it in the ep that noah died in. That part was for the electric grid

20. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, they really have no other choice but have the electric water heaters, unless they had a propane source, which they really don't seem to. They are less efficient though. I think they are trying to portray almost fully functioning houses, with limitations. When Carol told Sam to go home in 'Spend' before Eugene fixed the panels, Sam said "my house has no power today". This implies to me that they are painting a reality where those panels run their homes. In a place like this, with no gas companies working, even the ovens would probably have to get their energy from the solar panels. And from the way the Alexandrians talk, cooking and baking is plentiful. And the heat to the house as well. It gets very cold at night around the DC area in winter. I think we just have to chalk this one up to suspension of disbelief. To really maintain this level of living, I think we would almost need this amount of panels attached to every single house.