Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Josh McDermitt is a terrible actor

Discussion in 'Episode 505 - Self-Help' started by Rod Mason, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Rod Mason

Rod Mason New Member

I'm sorry, but this needs to be said. He's terrible. This plotline would be twice as interesting with a better actor in the role. He looks the part, but the acting is dull and uninspired. He's like a lump on a log in most of his scenes- he has done nothing with the role but stand there. When he speaks, he's monotone and you can tell he is just speaking lines, he puts no feelings into any of it. It's too late to change but I think they need to get rid of him as soon as possible. He's a big reason I think these new characters just aren't working. They have no chemistry with each other and the acting is bad.

2. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

3. Walker3895

Walker3895 Member

I thought he did a really, really good job, and im looking forward to what he brings now to the show

4. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

That is part of the character though, he doesn't talk like that in real life?

5. Walker Caravan

No in real life the actor is a very animated and lively person from what I've seen. Completely different from his character in all outward mannerisms.

6. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

The thing is, all of this:

Is part of the character. Eugene's a weird, socially awkward guy. He's not good at speaking to people or expressing emotions, or behaving appropriately. So in that sense, I think Josh McDermitt is playing the part pretty well.

The only complain I have about him is that I wish he'd speak clearer. I can't understand what he's saying quite often. I don't speak Texan Mumble. :(

7. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Agreed, I think they're probably implying he has Asperger's Syndrome or the like.

8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Probably. He seems like the sort of person to have something like that.

9. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

I think dat was prolly apart of his pitch to trick Abe and Rosita, the cracka spoke so fast and mumbled that he made bullshit sound realshit.

10. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

As I read this post I hear it in Josh McDermitt's voice.

11. lurkers&roamers

I'm almost positive that's how the character is supposed to come across. He's supposed to have trouble expressing emotions, and he's supposed to be a bit awkward. More than a bit actually. So yes, he talks monotonously and he doesn't show how he feels, but it's how he's supposed to be. With the occasional smugness (I'm still smarter than you) he doesn't, and isn't really supposed to, show very much emotion.

12. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

What is with the influx of newbie trolls?

Technically he's a very good actor - because if you saw him on Talking Dead or any other interview, he's very different to how he plays Eugene.

The character is supposed to come off the way he is played.

13. No.Pantaloons

No.Pantaloons Well-Known Member

ee

This. He has all the usual signs.

14. Rod Mason

Rod Mason New Member

Well, if everyone else thinks different, I will try to give him more of a chance- after all, it's just an opinion- but if Eugene, Abraham, and Rosita were the stars of the new spin-off, I would not watch it. Even someone with Asperger's can come off as interesting to watch on-screen. There's just too much blankness in his performance to me, but maybe that characterization pays off in the end.

15. Walker Caravan

Hopefully not too spoilerish, but I didn't like him at first in the comics either until after SafeZone. For me that's when he blossomed. So this should be Eugene at his worst/most pathetic.

16. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Josh has done a great job so far. That's just Eugene. I think it's not very easy to act like that.

17. Bernadette

Bernadette Well-Known Member

I think you just don't like Eugene.

18. rumbaboi25

rumbaboi25 New Member

Flat affect, difficulty communicating, fixation on things that most are not. Sounds about right. Ill check the DSMV when i get home and give you all a diagnosis then.

19. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Asperger's patients have a lot of difficulty with mind theory, which means in part that they are unable to imagine what is going on in the minds of others, or to see things from the perspective of others. So, a patient with Asperger's would be unlikely to have the ability to manipulate the minds of others so well, with complex fabrications, the way he is manipulating Abraham and others.

20. rustybag

rustybag Member

Do you guys think Eugene comes across as that savvy and manipulative, though? He doesn't to me. It looked to me like Abe was desperate to believe him because he gave him a reason to go on. Abe seemed pretty convinced of this "mission" because he had to be in order to keep going, and came across as manic about it at times (putting others in danger at odd times, leaving in the middle of the night after Bob was hurt, wanting to go through a herd of walkers, etc). But Eugene? He seems sort of child-like to me (like when a kid is using "big" words but you know they have no clue what they mean), and the whole scientist story didn't come across as authentic at all. It seemed like Abe was blind to what was right in front of him for a reason, but it seemed odd no one else (now or in the past) would have questioned or doubted him. I mean, compare him to the CDC scientist from season 1, who to me did seem like a "real" scientist. I don't know, I guess I'm having trouble connecting with some of these new actors, too.