Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Just curious

Discussion in 'Survivor Help' started by PepperAnn, Oct 23, 2019.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

@Zedd @HarleyQuinn why does all this spam happen? I don't know if you really know why, but jeez, I have been a member of this site since 2012 and it has NEVER been as bad as it's been in the last year or so.

I go to all the new posts through the "new posts" link and jeez louise..... lol....I have to sift through so much crap.

Thank god for @Jama to delete and ban them all. No, Jama I am not sucking up to you, I know you still hate me. :p

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Oh stop! I don't hate you.

@HarleyQuinn @Zedd Can you believe her?!?!? Gawd, what a butt kisser. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. HarleyQuinn

HarleyQuinn Administrator
    Staff Member

The spammers can be prolific. They are jerkfaces.

Jama, can you keep an eye out for common themes between the spammers you ban? I added a new spam prevention tool and a lot of phrases that should help. For instance, I saw some of the recent spammers used yopmail.com. So, I added that to the spammer points list. I added 22 spammy phrases from another forum I work on that had, prior to that, gotten hit with more spam than I have ever seen in my entire life.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Hi HQ- One commonality with them is there's a lot of threads with the word "Keto" listed in them. So much so, that I'm beginning to loathe that word. lol

I'm not sure if this is the type of "common theme" you are looking for, but if it is, then great.

Another weird "common theme" is a lot of the usernames have some variation of the word "Grot" in them.... Inferno_Grot, Grot_irnness, Etc.

Is there a way to filter out that name and block anyone who tries to use it from being able to register at this site?

I'll also start taking some notes and looking at other similarities. The Korean and Chinese stuff is going to be too difficult though. I'm not familiar with any of their symbols.

5. HarleyQuinn

HarleyQuinn Administrator
    Staff Member

Well, there are some keywords you can add to stop certain people from registering. Keto would be one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

*UPDATE*

@HarleyQuinn

I'm not noticing any common themes with usernames of these spammers. Threads however are very predictable. The word "Keto" or putting in a website link into the thread title (Example: www.ketodietblahblahblah/ketoresults.com) or whatever.

Is there a way to ban new users from starting a thread for the first week of them registering? Or maybe ban a new user from starting a thread until they've made 10 posts?

If it's possible to do something like that, then we could have some type of notice to anyone who've registered, an explanation of the policy.

This would stop the bots in their tracks, correct? And new people, real people who want to participate, are only mildly inconvenienced. If they like this forum, they'll get through it.

Thoughts?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1