Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Justin Cronin's "The Passage"

Discussion in 'Horror Books' started by bentstrider83, Dec 24, 2013.

1. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

and the sequel "The Twelve".
    Essentially it follows more along the lines of a biological vampire outbreak that takes its toll on the US.
    Spans over the course of a century and has some pretty awesome action sequences within the book.

On Justin Cronin's FB page(entitled The Passage novel) he seems to be quite TWD fan as well.
    Posting his own criticisms on a particular episode and what his own characters would do in the given situation.

First book is pretty long, about 1000 pages.
    But you just can't put it down!!

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Hand's down the best series I have read. The third book comes out in April or May I believe.

3. bentstrider83

Can't wait for it myself, and I thought Season breaks within TWD were bad.

Apparently, Ridley Scotts production company bought the rights for a screen adaptation of the series.
    Brilliant read, but if this ever does get off the ground, they better pull it off correctly.

4. PepperAnn

Yes I have heard this. It makes me giddy and scared all at the same time. lol

5. bentstrider83

Your location appears to be Austin.
    Not too far from the future capital of the Texas Republic in the Passage-verse, Kerrville!!!

At least you know where to run to when the Virals start scrambling!!

6. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of this, but the premise sounds interesting so I might try and find a copy and give it a go. :)

7. PepperAnn

HA! Yup! This joke has been made before. It's funny when they talk about the San Marcos River and Blanco River....etc etc. I have floated those rivers many a time! :p

Oh seriously....get on it! It's the best series I have ever read. They are LONG books but you will not want them to end.

8. bentstrider83

Cool thing about the book is the fact that I've actually explored/traveled through most of the action areas before I even read it.
    That romp through southern Nevada, the California FEMA camp near Mt San Jacinto and the wind-turbines of the Palm Desert, most of downtown and surrounding Denver.
    Then of course Clovis and Roswell NM are mentioned/listed a few times on the in-book maps.

Nothing makes a read feel more riveting than when you actually know what they're describing.

9. Jay Bonansinga

The Passage was great, Twelve was good at the beginning but the ending seemed quite cliche so i'll great it as good but nowhere near as good as The Passage. I hope City of Mirrors is as good as the first. Glad he took an extra 2 years instead of rushing out something that just isn't up to the quality of The Passage.

Thank You~Jay

• Like Like x 1
  10. PepperAnn

Because Cronin took 4 YEARS to go from book 2 to book 3....lol....I decided to completely start over and read 1 and 2 again and then coast into 3. I am currently about an eighth of the way through City of Mirrors....basically just started. But I am liking it so far.

The Twelve was definitely necessary for the plot but it was....different. I know what you mean about the end. I am interested to see what happens with Amy in book 3....and definitely how this will end as a whole, but I am going to be very sad to see this universe go. :(

11. Jay Bonansinga

The current timeline where everything was just starting in Twelve was really good. When it jumped 100 years in the future is where the book got chiche. I have not started City of Mirrors yet.

Thank You~Jay-Doggy-Dogg

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I just finished City of Mirrors. Neither follow-up books were as good as The Passage, but they were good. I did like learning more about Zero and Jonas.

13. PepperAnn

Yes, it's funny because I was just commenting on how if anyone mentioned in person to JC about how we knew practically nothing about Zero/Fanning....he had to just chuckle and say to himself....."you just wait".

14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Just picked up this series and am almost done with The Passage. The Twelve is on its way in the mail.

Fox has picked this up as a series, which may be premiering as early as June of this year.

15. PepperAnn

The first book is my fave but they are all excellent reads. Be glad you are so late to the party. Justin Cronin took YEARS to come out with each book. Drove me nuts.

16. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the first book so far. I'm about 100 pages from the end. I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow night. I'm raising my eyebrows at some of his technical errors...like there still being usable gasoline lying around after 92 years...and still edible canned food all over, including canned fruits, after 92 years, lol. But I'm enjoying the story so much that it doesn't matter.

I guess fox wasn't happy with the original pilot, so they are refilming a large portion of it right now, and they fired 3 of the main actors and replaced them. So its good they are taking their time with it. I hope they get it right.

17. PepperAnn

Yeah it’s so good I overlooked that stuff too. Lol

I REALLY hope they don’t screw this up like they did wayward pines.

18. Neuropyramidal

About half way through the second book, The Twelve.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Neuropyramidal

How is @Jen7 liking Woolworth's so far?

20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Wolfgang is quite the interesting character so far...