Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Keep the baby or get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Episode 206 - Secrets' started by RicksGal44, Nov 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I just have to say on this one... I am glad cave people had more fortitude than we seem to have now..or we wouldn't exist. They didn't have prenatal/postnatal any natal care. They had big scary carnivors listening for the sounds of their babys cries too. And yet here we are.

2. Newly Infected

Newly Infected New Member

Very true, Felicia!

3. buffy861

buffy861 Member

Just reiterating on what others have said, there is no such thing as an "abortion pill" - only an emergency contraception pill which only works within 72 hours after sexual intercourse. Lori, obviously panicked, was not thinking clearly. Although, I don't blame her. If I became pregnant in a zombie apocalypse, I'd be pretty freaked too. But, although I'd be in her state of mind, I don't think I'd abort the baby. Yes, there's always the crying that could attract the walkers, but, if they were indoors, what're the odds that a baby's cry would be heard? Even if it were outside, there are plenty of ways the sound could echo. And, if I'm not correct, please tell me. I'd really want to give my baby a chance. Yes, it's a terrible world for an innocent child to be born into, but, that doesn't mean good memories can't be made. I know that sounds really cheesy, but it's true.

4. daggxthedark

daggxthedark Member

i'll keep it because i think abortion is a bad bad choice, but in rick's case, i dont know, because that baby is obviously not rick's, lori is carrying for sure shane's kid

5. silmarien

silmarien Member

Exactly. I don't get why people are calling them "abortion pills". They didn't just have RU-486 pills in that pharmacy lying around. It's Plan B, or the morning after pill. It only works if you ARE NOT YET PREGNANT. It was too late for Lori. Taking those pills (even 6 of them) would not have caused an abortion; all it would have done was give Lori a megadose of hormones (which might affect the embryo but it wouldn't kill it - scientists don't really know how Plan B affects women and their babies when they're already pregnant).

So Lori asking for the Morning After pill was incredibly stupid. Even Glenn on the TV show asks, "Will those even work?" Lori says "I don't know." Both of them don't know if the Morning After pill will be successful, hence why Glenn also gets her the Prenatal Vitamins.

I would definitely keep the baby if it were my decision. Have we even encountered many scenes where the group making noise was really that life-threatening? I can only think of one instance: on the highway outside Atlanta, when the "herd" of Walkers passed by and everybody hid underneath cars. That is the only time I can think of where a baby's cries could have endangered everyone. One single instance out of how many close encounters with Walkers? Many.

Having a baby just means adjustments must be made, and the possibility that a baby could cry must always be accounted for when they make decisions about movements. It's not an impossible thing to manage. And I don't think that a baby's cry really puts every person in the group's life in danger.

No one is accounting for the large morale boost to the group a baby would bring, and how it will strengthen the ties of the group and social bonds. That is very important, as the stronger and more bonded your group is, the more successful they will be in surviving.

People also don't account for the fact that the other group members do their share of screaming and yelling, and also stupidly firing guns when they shouldn't, or when Walkers can hear them.

I don't see having a baby as changing much in terms of ability to survive. You just make sure to be in a place where a child's cries could not alert Walkers to you; ie you could make sure you're in an already noisy environment so cries aren't an alert. You find ways to make the baby sound quieter. And logistically, you make sure Lori has enough food, comfort, and supplies (the baby won't need food for a year if she can breast feed; if she cannot, then they'll have to stock up on formula. Other baby items can be scavenged, diapers can be the reusable type, etc.).

Women somehow figured out how to have babies during the worst of times, 50,000 years ago, in Ancient Greece, in the Dark Ages, the Middle Ages, in the harsh American and African colonies in the 17/18/19th centuries. During wartime. During plagues. And humanity survived.

Obviously Lori will be very vulnerable as her pregnancy progresses. She should be armed at all times (please have her take a friggin holster, ammo and a reloader this time! And no driving...) and even armored if possible. Take a note from the warriors of Middle Age and Renaissance Europe: Zombies like to just grab a bare limb and chew, or open you up and gut you. So, WEAR SOME FREAKIN ARMOR people! If they can find a blacksmith, a manual, and such they should be able to make a crude form of plate. Or at least work with leather armor. Leather would be better than nothing. But I digress.

Most importantly: if the population does not continue to grow post-ZA, humanity is doomed.

I don't think humanity is doomed even in the event of a ZA - actually I think it's even MORE important that every woman have children and as many as they can, to give humanity a fighting chance.

6. Ewan

Ewan Member

Keep it.

7. mondaymonkey9

mondaymonkey9 Member

If you want to have a baby, lots of responsibility comes with it. For example, feeding, taking care of or changing diapers. That being said, I personally think she should not keep the baby in THIS situation. In a zombie apocalypse world, having to look for yourself is already difficult enough, with a baby 5x harder.

I think the writers do this to add a little more meat to the story.

8. ZombieKitten

ZombieKitten New Member

well.. of course there are some pills that can be used for abortion... even though they are not specific for abortion. So, if that's what she asked for it's not dumb at all. In Brazil (I'm brazilian) abortion is illegal but 80% of the abortions are made taking these pills (not sure I can say the name here) that are actually made to prevent ulcers in people who take certain arthritis or pain medicines decreasing stomach acid secretions. Swallow 2, insert 2 down there... and you good to go... If you are lucky you won't have a bad bleeding and need to seek for a doctor...but thats pretty much it

9. WarioLoaf

WarioLoaf Member

they should kill it, instead of risking peoples lives.... I feel machonne's pets being disruptive and her killing them forshadows a future even with the baby and rick sadly :(