Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Kids accidentally left in hot cars

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by PepperAnn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I am curious what y'all's thoughts are..................

2. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Horrible. And totally preventable.

3. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I personally cannot imagine any situation where a kid is "accidentally left" in a hot car. I understand that parents can do absent-minded things, get overwhelmed, make mistakes, etc. But those excuses aren't going to bring your kiddo back if something unthinkable happens. When my children were younger and we went somewhere in the car, if 5 people got into the car when we left, then my wife and I made damn sure that 5 people exited the car when we got to our destination.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I have to change the channel when these stories are told.

But I did watch a special or something, maybe a 60 Minutes story, explaining how memory can let us down when our routine changes and how cars MUST be adapted so this particular forgetfulness can no longer happen.

I know I rely on routine a lot, so it made sense to me. Sometimes my car goes off in the opposite direction because that is the more likely route, for example, and it can be ages before I notice.

So, for your consideration:

There's science behind why parents leave kids in hot cars
    Morgan Hines
    USA TODAY

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-keep-happening-and-how-stop-them/1861389001/

That said, some of them are unquestionably flat out murders. What a horrible, horrible death.

I think (I didn't read the story to refresh my memory) the more people in the car, the more the brain is paying attention to what is going on. It's those quiet, lone babies....

Oh, my heart.

5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I'd say most of them are criminal selfishness, someone not even thinking about the welfare of their child, just whatever else it was they wanted to do.

I think now and then there's a true accident when someone's mind is just overburdened, like when someone starts driving with their baby seat on top of the car.

There are probably a few actual murders as well.

I can't say I'd be a very sympathetic juror regardless of the reason.

6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

The science behind this was interesting however I can’t imagine how someone could be so on auto pilot that they could forget their child was in the car with them. I had a little mirror I installed that allowed me to view my kid in her child seat as I drove. I was constantly checking it. When I hear of this happening, it drives me nuts. Same goes with people leaving their pets in the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PepperAnn

Yep, pets in the car same thing.

I am really torn about this. I hate to say it. But as negligent as it really is...........I can't even imagine the HORROR of the realization of what they did. Not even to think about the WORSE HORROR of what their kids endured.

Those that just blanked out? They have to live with that for the rest of their lives. Yeah, it's preventable. But they made a mistake. I cannot imagine that grief.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. purriwinkle

I’m curious PepperAnne, do you have any statistics as to how many men vs women have done this? I was wondering if there was a gender divide or if it comes down equally between the sexes.

9. PepperAnn

From all the stories I have read over the years, it seems to be pretty much down the middle.

I had a friend that had a friend that accidentally killed their two dogs in a hot car accident. She was coming home from grocery store and the kids were pitching a fit, so she grabbed the groceries and the kids and was going to go back for the dogs and distraction after distraction led to the horrible. She was devastated.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. PepperAnn

Not comparing dogs to kids. The whole situation all around is just horrible.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I get that being a parent is never the easiest job in the world and there's probably times where it seems very convenient to just leave them for a bit, but...

pls don't do that

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Leaving a child in a car would be like leaving a kidney or an eye.
    My kids were a part of me, and I would take them into places, even if it were for just a minute.

The truth is out there

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I would never do this, but I can at least understand the negligence where someone leaves the window open on a crack and then it becomes too hot in the car for the kid, while the parent is in a store. But just forgetting you left a child in the vehicle is bizarre. I wouldn't even leave my phone in a hot car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PepperAnn

I agree with everything said. The whole thing is one word............negligence. But when you hear the actual stories, I can't help but really feel for their pain too. Is that awful of me?

No one means to cook their child.

15. purriwinkle

I think they probably live in their own private hell. It’s bad enough when we fail to protect our children from outside dangers but when we are responsible for their deaths because we were preoccupied, that’s probably unforgivable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Morgotha

You know what PA? I'd bet that if you asked most of them after the fact they'd say it wasn't really their fault for some reason, and they are really the victims because people are now looking down on them.

There's nothing awful about feeling for them, but I'd bet many of them don't deserve your sympathy.

17. PepperAnn

I hear that too. That's why I am so torn about it.

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

How about we all just cut the crap and address the real elephant in the room.... PepperAnn! Did you lock a nephew or a niece or a younger cousin inside of a hot car? Did you go grocery shopping and forget about your little Ewok looking dogs???? Just come out with it already. Fess up!

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Morgotha

So did you hear about the blonde car thief?

She had to retire when she got pregnant as she didn't want to put her baby in a hot car.

Ha ha ha!

#19 Morgotha, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Same, I don't even quickly run into the gas station if my 6 year-old daughter is in the car. It's just a thing i have.