Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Let's talk Dream vehicles to use on walkers.

Discussion in 'Episode 403 - Isolation' started by SteamRollerMAN, Oct 28, 2013.

1. ctx1769

ctx1769 Member

[​IMG]

Churchill mine flailing tank from WW2, Imagine what those heavy chains spinning at high speed would to to a decomposing body.
    :Chainsaw:bones, blood and snot everywhere, Perfect for a herd :Grin:

2. jodybo

jodybo New Member

Car Issues

I am very frustrated by the fact that they are driving around in a camero. Two years after an apocalyptic event, the gas in cars will have turned to vinegar. The only viable option is a diesel fueled vehicle. Further, the highways outside of Atlanta would be littered with diesel fueld 4WD 4 Door trucks with auxiliary diesel tanks. Ten minutes worth of effort in the season 2 HWY scene would have resulted in a late model 4 Door F250 4WD with an auxiliary tank holding 50-60 gallons of diesel and a brush guard.

Gone are concerns about getting stuck when going around a wreck. The truck is going to have a 750 mile range before you need to worry about fueling up, and diesel trucks will run for 250,000 miles before they start having trouble. They will also sit in idol for days while only burning a couple of gallons of diesel. Finally, if you ever run into a walker the brush guard is going to throw him/her 100 feet ahead of you without so much as a scratch on the hood.

The fact that they are driving around in 2 door cameros is more unrealistic than the actual Zombie apocalypse itself. Come on show runners. Make it a Chevy Truck if you have to, but make it diesel, 4wd, and even better, make it a duely (6 wheel) truck. That way, if you lose a tire, you just keep on driving till you are back to safety.

One more thing, diesel trucks will run on homemade diesel with relative ease. You can literally blend vegetable oil into diesel and you are good to go.

3. jd2210

jd2210 Member

When did they have a Camero?

4. AClayeJ

AClayeJ Member

A 4WD truck will still get stuck in a herd that big. Gas is more plentiful than diesel since most c-stores carry multiple grades of gas and usually only one grade of diesel. Unless of course they were near a terminal. They're more likely to find 1000+ gallon underground tanks of gas than vegetable oil.

They were driving a Dodge Charger BTW.

5. zipykido

zipykido Member

If they had power to the front wheels with 4WD they could have easily gotten off that pile of walkers. Also they seem to be driving unnecessarily gas hungry cars. 4 people with motorcycles could probably carry the equivalent of a charger. Or they have should least taken the hyundai suv or that dodge ram(?) that they had.

6. AClayeJ

AClayeJ Member

Maybe that pile of walkers, but not those 7500 that I was talking about. Diesel trucks get less mileage than gas cars anyway. I live in GA and am in the oil business where I see tons of people as well as customers that use diesel trucks for farming and logging. Most of those trucks probably get anywhere from 10-15 mpg. You also better hope its not a newer diesel because they need DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid), since most built in the last few years have it, because that's probably a little hard to find.

7. jodybo

jodybo New Member

Oops, meant Charger. I wasnt specifically calling for a truck for that particular scene, just more in general. Diesel is critical as gas will go bad over a two year period. Diesel has double or even triple the life span.

I would not drive through that herd in a truck, but the charger is so embarrassingly impractical compared to a 4 wheel drive diesel truck with an auxiliary tank. On that particular mission, with the charger, their risks are 5x what they would be if they had a heavy duty 4wd truck.

A 4wd ford f250 could drive through hundreds of zombies without the passengers being in any danger at all. You aren't getting stuck in 4wd because of a zombie pile. The truck would push the pile out of the way and drive over anything below the bumper that isn't being pushed.

Syphoned diesel is a viable source of fuel for 6-8 years, and with an auxiliary tank you only need to syphon once every ~750 miles. A couple of 18 wheelers within a ten mile radius of base keeps you supplied for years.

The charger is a joke.

8. The Walking Cas

A pink dune buggy. :) Thats for the wimpy gurls.

I'll have a periwinkle dune buggy. Take that, Nick!

9. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

Mining truck.
    [​IMG]

10. AClayeJ

AClayeJ Member

I'm sure they're not wanting to plow through 100s or even 1000s of zombies in the first place. You have other things to worry about before getting stuck in a zombie pile. First off dead bodies isn't the same as mud. People break all kinds of things just going through mud much less bodies. 4WD isn't going to help when a crankcase or shaft is broke from bodies piling up.

100% pure gas will last longer than 2 years. I know because I store it.

Diesel trucks get less mileage than gas burning cars. Why waste fuel when they could save? It doesn't matter if the truck can hold more fuel if its going burn more. Not all trucks come with 50+ gallon tanks from the factory, even when they are its an option. Most are installed as aftermarket. Why would they go look for semi trucks for fuel when they could go to a few c-stores here and there for it. One place instead of many.

11. mfinley

mfinley Member

All they could get for a sponsor was Hyundai and Dodge with a special deal to promote the Charger.

Looks like we will have to wait and see if they can put a sponsorship deal together with AM General and then you'll see them driving around in a military Hummer next season.

12. AClayeJ

AClayeJ Member

13. zipykido

zipykido Member

No time like a zombie apocalypse for product placement. I bet they're going to find a coke factory and a taco bell next.

14. jodybo

jodybo New Member

I want to get on the same page. So just a couple of notes here.

1) A large percentage of HD 4WD Trucks burn diesel and have aftermarket diesel tanks installed in the bed. This is extremely common. Thus, my commentary around the reality that it would be very easy to find one of these trucks abandoned somewhere.

2) I'm not sure I understand your concern around fuel efficiency given item 1 above. An HD truck with an auxiliary tank is going to hold around 65 gallons of diesel, which even if it gets 2mpg less than a gas alternative, overall your range is radically greater.

3) Why the concern about getting a couple of extra miles per gallon? There are going to be abandoned 18 wheelers full of diesel everywhere that would provide a simple syphon opportunity. These people are going on day trips all the time, refueling would be an easy chore, and with the auxiliary tank you'd probably only need to refuel every 3-4 months. Not only does diesel last longer, but any time you need to syphon you are going to be able to fill up from one source due to 18 wheelers. With a gas car, after 24-36 months (maybe longer than 2 years, but not as long as diesel), a) the gas might be bad and b) there might only be 3 gallons in the car.

Agreed regarding running over the zombies. Again, that wasn't really my intent with my first post, I suppose I picked the wrong thread. I'm not running over the zombies because I "think I can". A truck, overall, is just so radically more practical, seeing them roll out in a Dodge Charger nearly made me turn off my TV. There is a reason the Governor is all trucks, he knows what's up.

BTW, none of this even touches on the cargo opportunities created by a truck. If they are out scouting and stumble on a treasure trove of supplies, do you want a dodge charger, or a large pickup truck?

15. MassiveDynamic

MassiveDynamic La Jiggy Jar Jar Doo

i'd use the car from the hyundia zombie commercial - said no one ever.

16. AClayeJ

AClayeJ Member

I myself would rather drive a truck too since I do anyway.

But,

What I was saying is that gas is more plentiful and should be used before diesel is. If gas goes bad then why not use it before it does. Stores carry multiple underground tanks of gas and usually one tank of diesel, since there is only one grade. It would be easier to use what gas they could and save the diesel for later.

Some of the trucks the Gov drove were gas burners. Especially the Dodge he drove off in at the end of season 3.

I'd rather use the 18 wheeler for its cargo. Get a semi with a box trailer and you're set for the night, climb inside the trailer. No sleeping in the woods or in tents in harms way. You could even store a car or two in there as well as food, ammo, and whatever else. It would drink more fuel though. You could have someone driving blocker up ahead and use CB Radios to talk. You'd have a Zombie Smokey and the Bandit!

I'm not defending them using a Charger or the Hyundai. I don't like either one of them.

17. Governor

Governor Member

I don't know what the hell this is, but it looks pretty effective...
    [​IMG]

18. AClayeJ

AClayeJ Member

Looks photoshopped, but cool. Helicopter and tank combined.

19. DreamWalker

DreamWalker Member

Apache combat-helicopter!!! <3

20. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member