Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Live chat

Discussion in 'Episode 1101 - Acheron Part 1' started by Sharpie61, Aug 21, 2021.

1. VenomGA

VenomGA Well-Known Member

good man!! I would have done the same thing.

2. GregsGirl

GregsGirl Well-Known Member

3. GregsGirl

GregsGirl Well-Known Member

Alright guys! See you next week!

4. VenomGA

hope you feel better

5. VenomGA

Negan is my favorite character on the show now and it's not EVEN close.

6. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Sad that a show that was the most highly rated cable program in history has a final season premiere where they are walking around in a dark room for half the episode.

AMC must be slashing the budget with each season that passes. A good chunk of a story where the characters are just walking around in a dark room is a real pet peeve of mine. Whenever I get a horror movie on Netflix and all it generally turns out to be is characters walking around in a dark and confined space 9 times out of 10 I just fast forward to the end.

• Like Like x 1
  7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah, this epi had such a different feel to it. Dark, and every one seemed exceptionally skilled with the weapons, which ok, they’re getting better at all the time, I guess.

As for the ending? Maggie was asking for it, IMO. The whole problem with Negan at this point, is if you accept him into the community then cut him some slack or kick him out. I agree that Maggie seemed to be making some bad decisions. What was the problem of waiting the storm out near the Metro entrance? Negan’s been trying real hard to “fit in” but sooner or later he was bound to pop his mouth off with the way he still gets treated. I get it but why deliberately poke the rattlesnake? He still has fangs.

Oh, and I don’t think I care much for this Commonwealth.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction to the dark environment. What was even worse is that the opening scene was darker than the rest of the show and it made it more difficult to jump right into the episode when you're wondering what the hell is going on.

I'm finding myself on Team Negan, and I didn't even like his character in the early seasons. I thought it was way over the top under Gimple's direction. This Negan is much better, and more interesting.

The trouble is that our other characters become annoying when they all treat Negan like garbage. As @purriwinkle said, accept him or kick him out. It's stupid to behave in this manner. Also, Negan is not someone to toy with. He's smart and sees through all the BS. The guy also was able to bide his time and then kill Alpha. So you want to let him think he can't trust you? What do you think he's going to do, let you use him and then kill him when you don't need him anymore?

I did find it interesting how some of the members of the group seemed to be slowly gravitating toward Negan, since his ideas were making more sense.

I hated the Commonwealth storyline coming into this season and nothing happened here to change it. The story will be converging there and I think that works to the detriment of the show. I hope a segment of the group stays at Alexandria, maybe Negan among them and we have a split story. But I'm afraid we're going to see them relocate there.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I did like the opening scene. Even though I never saw a sleeping walker before. And the interrogation scene. Only Eugene would know every one of his zip codes.

The rest was meh to me. Since I was never a big Maggie fan, she got on my nerves.
    Makes me wonder if her way of solving the food crisis, is to kill off half the people.

I was on the side of Negan, that is, until he mentioned Glenn.
    He deserved to be punched.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
  10. lastcat3

Yep it is definitely jarring when the story opens up and you can barely tell what is going on. The reason dark rooms are so annoying in tv and movies is because it is a common tactic filmmakers use to cover up the fact that they don't have much money to work with. You can at times forgive low budget movies for it if they put together a real interesting story. But not this where they are making a show that had 17 million viewers just a few seasons ago and they are just adapting comic material.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this entire eight episode set is in this type of environment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I read where Angela Kang said they gave a nod to the comics in the opening.

The comics had roamers and lurkers.
    Roamers moved around, always looking for food.
    Lurkers stayed still, until something or someone, “wakes them up”.
    Season 2 had lurkers in that church, when they were looking for Sofia.

The truth is out there

12. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I thought the episode was brilliant! 9/10 for me.

I found both story lines engaging and was grateful for the little comic relief Princess provides - it was much needed. So tense, so claustrophobic.

Loved the girls doing their thing in the opening scene.

The Negan/Maggie conflict is written and acted very well. And how this conflict and Maggie’s reappearance has rehashed old wounds with the group who were already getting to terms with living with Negan. Back to almost square one with Daryl, Gabriel… that must have hurt. I enjoyed Negan revealing Maggie’s well sussed game plan to all, and whilst I totally get Maggie’s inability to forgive, I also understood Negan’s decision to not help her at the end. It was a horrible thing to do but quite frankly Maggie’s return has ruined everything for him and she didn’t even deny she would kill him if an opportunity arose.

Very exciting! Can’t wait to see what’s next!

• Like Like x 1
  13. lastcat3

Glad someone enjoyed it. If you liked this episode you will probably enjoy the rest of the season. And if you aren't real concerned about production values you might even enjoy the Daryl/ Carol series (if it still happens). With how much the ratings are still continuing to fall off though and how unwilling AMC seems to invest in the final season of this show I am starting to have doubts that any of the upcoming shows are even going to happen.

#53 lastcat3, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  14. BlackBird

I thought this episode was produced to a high standard. They’ve created two very different colour palettes and atmospheres both laced with a high level of unpredictability and fear / it seemed anything could happen at any given point - I thought it was exciting and very well paced. More than happy with the writing/acting. Fantastic soundtrack in the tunnel scenes. Loved the silence of the opening scene. Fighting scenes beautifully choreographed. Really enjoyed the interrogation scenes and the use of split screens.

I mean, I don’t know what they could have done better, truly!

Did you not enjoy any of it?

I thought it was a perfect final season opener because it has embraced both the past and the future - in a very urgent present predicament for our group.

(Regarding the Carol/Daryl spin-off: of course I’ll watch it, Daryl is my favourite character. :p)

15. lastcat3

No. Darkness to the point where you can barely see the characters surroundings ( and at times even the characters themselves) is a clear indication that they are trying to keep the audience from seeing the sets. They try to tell a story around it but in general when you see darkness like that it is because they are lacking the funds to make good looking sets.

And pretty much most all the other scenes take place in a very closed in space as well where they can still limit what the audience is able to see. It's just sad that it has come to this point with the show. It's not even the creatives fault at this point anylonger. It is 100 percent on AMC. This is the final season of their prized show that they wanted to make a franchise of. They should be going all out but instead it looks cheaper than ever.

#55 lastcat3, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  16. BlackBird

Neither could they! Is it bad production or is it picturing exactly what the characters’ perception of their surrounding was? I expect, if anything, we saw more than they did. I found the set atmospheric. I certainly didn’t feel robbed of seeing more detail of the subway!

17. lastcat3

It is poor production that they managed to tell a story around. You won't find shows or movies with a decent budget backing them using dark atmospheres like that. If those shows/movies do have scenes taking place at night or in a dimly lit environment you are still clearly able to see the characters and the immediate area surrounding them. What they did in the episode was a low budget technique.

18. BlackBird

Well, in that case I didn’t mind the low budget technique. Apparently I’m easily pleased. :cool:

I’m just cherishing the chance to see the last chapter of these characters’ journey.