Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Live Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'Episode 1020 - Splinter' started by VenomGA, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

You forgot Daryl hallucinating Merle in Season 2 and then Carol with Alpha last season. There might be more, but those are two that just jump right out with me.

Biggest problem with this episode is that it focuses on a new character that the audience has no real investment in. It's nice that the writers are infatuated with her, but I don't care. If it was centered on her and based in reality then I would've let it pass, but since it was her in some altered state that's what put this one over the top for me. It adds nothing to the story.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the episode. I thought it was a great way to get to know Princess. I also don't think every episode has to 'move the story forward', sometimes just fleshing out the characters who will play a larger roll in that story moves things forward.

I actually thought this was a better episode than some of these S10 additions. And as far as I can tell, none of these have really moved the story forward, they've just introduced more nuance to the characters, which I suppose is the point. Now that they know S11 will be the last, they had to tie up some loose ends and bring characters more into focus in order to close everything out properly.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

Hey it's entirely possible the very last episode would feature Rick waking up in the hospital and all ten seasons were just in his head the whole time.

4. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

It was a much better episode then the previous three. However I still question why they ever thought making these episodes during intense covid restrictions was ever a good idea. The entire episode happened within the context of a cell.

And while the Princess's mental state was a good twist the episode still ended in the exact same place it started with the final scene showing the group on their knees with bags over their heads. I honestly think it would have been better to focus on a character that the audience has a little more of a connection with. Princess isn't going to be around very long anyways as the show is ending next year.

5. lastcat3

Yep. And honestly given that the show is ending next year what is the point in trying to make brand new characters the focus of the episode? Just let the remaining episodes give the characters that have been around for awhile as much development as they can so by the end it doesn't feel like their stories are left hanging.

I liked this episode better then the rest of this batch but I think it was a poor decision to give a Princess centric episode during these covid episodes.

6. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

A very strange and definitely different episode. A whole episode focused on a new character locked inside her own head? Hm.

I happen to really like this new character and I liked her turmoil unfold, torn between saving herself and being a good friend to her brand new companions. But it was somewhat frustrating not to see what was happening with the others.

But I think Princess is a great new character and she must have a good arc waiting for her in S11 if they've invested so much time and effort into her character study. I really enjoy her. A very complex mixture of a comic and tragic character, she's so damaged, yet she's got some weird nervous energy that keeps her optimism bubbling. I like the actress.

My main beef with the episode is these flipping stormtroopers. What the heck was up with these guys? Even if they have this super precious community they need to protect- why the brutality? Is this the only workable way of vetting people? Can they not communicate in a civilised manner if they claim to be civilised? Why capture them the first place? If they were furious at Stephanie for making contact, why did they just stop her from going there to meet Eugene? Or was Stephanie part of this plan to kidnap new people all along? Seems rather far fetched. It was terrifying to watch the modus operandi of this army unit. And it felt way over the top. Waiting to see more on this to make some sense. Maybe some of you comic readers know more about these guys?

7. lastcat3

There definitely was a lot of manufactured drama in the episode that wasn't there in the comic. In the comic after running into each other they immediately took them to the interview area (and they took them as a group).

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

That would have been fine. Why would they separate them? Seemed so unnecessary and even counterproductive. Obviously they’d be even less inclined to tell them anything after the way they’d been treated.

9. lastcat3

Well in this situation they probably did it because there can only be so many actors onscreen at once. It does make me think that they may be planning a different ending than what they had in the comic because with the way they introduced this new group it is going to seem pretty forced if they still have things transpire the way it did in the comic.

Honestly though this whole Walking Dead Universe thing is starting to seem pretty convoluted anyways. World Beyond is supposed to take place about the same time this is happening and World Beyond has it's its own massive group. If this group and that World Beyond group aren't one in the same it really makes it difficult to believe that all these various shows are happening within the same universe.

At the rate they are going we will probably find out that there is a massive community in every state in the country that we just never knew about before.

#49 lastcat3, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021