Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Liza Ortiz

Discussion in 'Fear The Walking Dead Season 1' started by Neuropyramidal, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Holler away!!

2. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

In the first 2 episodes I thought she was gonna be the stereotypical, bitchy ex wife. In E3, I thought she showed class and resolve in her conversation with Madison, and pretty smart in her assessment about the situation. I actually like her and could see her becoming a strong character.

3. Eternal

Eternal Member

I like Liza. I think she's going to be a pretty great asset during this, and not just because she's a nurse. I thought she had a strong presence about her, and I feel like she will accept what is happening pretty early and protect her loved ones.

4. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

Liza has stepped in it. Her desire to help and be relevant was brought out earlier in her character and then she put into action. Now she is stuck and separated when it is likely she thought she would have the option to return.

5. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

RIP Liza. You tried to do good, but got in a situation beyond your control. I think you knew that Travis still cared for you, if not rue love.

6. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I think they killed her way too fast really,don't they know about the tearjerking requirement where everyone heaps prasie on her for her courage and THEN they shoot her in the head?

Seriously to not let her Son talk to her and say goodbye?

That seems cold to me.

It also seems like a near Shark Jump that Travis would go at once from the reluctant participant and last holdout to the one to finish Liza all in the same afternoon?

7. Camilleyun

I don't think so. Liza gave Travis the low down on what was going to happen ( just like she did with Griselda's situation - it played out just like she said it would) It was an act of mercy on Travis' part, and he removed the burden from both Liza and Madison.

8. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Oh I understand the idea easily enough I just don't buy him moving from the guy who talked Madison out of hammering the clearly already dead Susan to the guy who pre-emptively kills his clearly living Ex-Wife in 2 days or so?
    There is just no way he would change his attitude that quickly even with the obvious idea that he might have dreamt of that moment many times already for other obvious reasons(wink,wink).

Just seems like a lot to accept again.

9. Camilleyun

when Madison was going to hammer Susan, Travis was holding onto the idea that she may just be sick. Liza told Travis there is no help when he tried to argue that they had medicine. She told him no matter how they die , they turn and that the bite doesn't kill you, but the infection / fever will. I think Travis finally accepted what was going on, he trusted Liza, she had the medical backround and insider info from working inside the military hospital. I think Liza was the only one at this point who could convince Travis what Nick and Madison already accepted, this is not a sickness, these people were dead. There is no help.Putting Liza down was the closest thing to saving her that Travis could do.

10. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I agree. When Liza told Travis basically "I've seen it, everyone who dies comes back, and there is no cure even with the best medicines" Travis realized that she was right.

It's also interesting from a plot perspective as they now know everyone turns at death at the start of the outbreak as opposed to Rick's group that didn't find out from Dr. Jenner until later on.

11. Camilleyun

I've been watching TWD episodes during the marathon this week when I get home from work. I thought the same thing as I watched the episode where the Governor picks up Michonne and Andrea, and Andrea questions why he stabbed the 2 dead army guys. I read an article on Season 2 that said at this point, our FTWD gang is only 12-14 days into the ZA, and still weeks behind the time Rick woke up in the hospital, so yeah, our gang in Fear definitely has a heads up long before anyone in TWD does.

12. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

As Travis himself would say"I get it".
    But I still think it is entirely unrealistic to imagine that they would just unilaterally make the decision and kill her like they did.
    I hope this is not how it would work with me at least?
    My Ex.........????????? Not as sure.

13. Camilleyun

Liza made the decision herself. She wasn't asking Madison or Travis what she should do, she was just having trouble going through it with it herself. She asked Madison to put her down the same way Madison asked Liza earlier. Madison could clearly relate to Liza's situation, she didn't want to end up like Susan, so she could certainly understand why Liza didn't want that either. The situation exceeds the bounds of normal divorce problems like visitation. I think Travis still cared about Liza and respected her decision, he took no pleasure in killing her and protested before Liza explained the facts. The shot afterwards shows a broken and devastated Travis.
    It will be interesting to see if Travis and Madison share the info Liza gave them about the outbreak with the rest of the group.

14. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

I think it was also implied that the LA outbreak was a slight bit after the Atlanta or other outbreaks. The hospital where Nick was first taken got alert about non-res after 60 seconds ( shown w/ old man that went CA / code blue ). The CDC knew about the turning after death fairly early on, as Exner was fully aware of it. The TWD groups were isolated and never got it. Atlanta must have been close to ground zero. Probably why LA wasn't napalmed as Atlanta, as the military found out that doesn't work.

AFA Travis euthanizing Liza ...it brought back Bob answering why he killed a person: "Because she asked me to".

15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I don't know why I am having such a hard time getting my point across here but again I understand all of the logic and reason behind the death it is the actual act of it that I do not think realistic.

I guess I might equate the fact that Travis seemed so reluctant to take definitive action about almost anything physical up to now as a sign that he has no stomach for it and will just let that dirty work be done by others?

On the other hand he did bury his 1/2 headless neighbor already and went to the drug house alone too which does demonstrate his ability to do whatever it takes on some level after all.

Looking longer at your reasoning though I maybe confusing his lack of action with lack of acceptance of the situation being as bad as he now sees that it is?

Regardless though I just do not see anyone I know in that setting not wanting to talk it over a little first,let people say goodbye,etc. although I sure understand the thoughts Liza might have about dragging things out too.

Maybe we will see something later to give a hint as to how Travis can put her down and adjust to this all so quickly but for now it is just a mystery to me.

This post that I found helps say what I mean somewhat though:

"I think it would depend a little bit on whether or not I knew at the time that everyone turns. Andrea stayed by Amy's side all night, waited until she turned , said her good byes and put her down. Contrast that with Bob and Sasha, Sasha would have done it but luckily Tyreese took that burden from her. Either way they were prepared to do it immediately after Bob died. Carl thought he could put Rick down , but when he he actually thought Rick had turned, he couldn't do it, which is totally different than the way Carl handled Lori. Even Daryl had to muster the courage to put Merle down after he turned
    I think personally, if it was a family member , I would wait until they turn unless it was physically impossible to remain with their body until it happened. Shooting your kid, parent, whatever..point blank in the head while they lay lifeless would be pretty hard to cope with, at least after they turned you could rationalize that action a little better."

Know what I mean?

#15 EZD, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  16. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

I think I get what your saying. Travis pulled a full 180 from the earlier episodes,from not wanting to kill a walker a distance away from you to fighting them off in the kitchen,being against the torture of Andy to beating him to a pulp ,and stopping Madison from mercy killing Susan to being the one to put Liza down. I agree it was a bit of a stretch to go from all that in just one episode, maybe he has more of a dark past as well , and has just been fighting it ?

17. Camilleyun

No, I do understand what you're saying. Both Travis and Madison protested her decision until she told them there's no help. She made Travis promise that he would protect Chris, that she didn't want Chris to see her turn, and to tell Chris that she did it.
    I think where we differ is you see it as something that was done TO Liza, I see it as something they did FOR Liza, and from Travis' standpoint, for Chris as well. There were only a few options, either shoot her so she wouldn't have to do it herself, or forcefully take her back to the house and watch her get sick, die and turn, and then put her down in front of their son. Travis knew then it was the right thing to do, even if it was the hard thing to do. Afterwards, it does appear it broke Travis, just like both Liza and Madison said it would. They both knew Travis would do it for either of them, because it is the right thing to do, but also knew it would destroy him if he had to do it. I think this aligns perfectly with Travis' nature - in the end he'll always try to do the right thing.

#17 Camilleyun, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but to me Liza wasn't going to wait around until she got sick and died. She wanted to choose her own time of death, and because of Maddie's reluctance and subsequently Travis', she was walking over to the cliff to jump off. Travis was given the option of shooting her, of watching her leap to her death. In that situation, it doesn't surprise me much that he did what he did.

19. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

No I pretty much agreed with both of you in my last post but.....
    What I am saying is that regardless of them all agreeing about what Liza wants and thinks should be done I still would stop,grab her from the edge and make her understand that this is about her Son and others too and even though her decision might make sense to everyone now it is way too huge a decision to undertake like this without more discussion.

She might be acting Selfless and she might be acting Selfish deciding it has to be right now but either way this is just not a rational seeming end to life in this new world in that she has people around that will survive her and what they think matters too.

We don't have to agree either,just please don't shoot me like this no matter what happens and no matter what I say to do if this happens,it will break you!:Grin: