Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Locations in this episode

Discussion in 'Episode 1008 - The World Before' started by tsahi, Nov 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tsahi

tsahi Member

National Forest
    I'm not American, so I'm not familiar with such a forest. Looking up in Google Maps turns up Allegheny National Forest, some 300km north-west of DC. Quite unlikely they could get there in a reasonable time, or the whisperers getting the herd from there to ASZ.

Waterford
    Luke mentions the road goes through or near Waterford when they are on their way to Ocean Side. Apparently, there is a town named Waterford in VA, but again, it's to the north-west, not on the way to the ocean.

So these locations add to the confusion about locating the scenes in the real world.

#1 tsahi, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think they are purposely misleading with the locations in the show in regards to their real world locations. They don't want to get bogged down with the details and try to explain the actual distances and whatnot. So they are very loose with the names and places so we can't lock down where these places really are.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Oceanside is on the Chesapeake Bay, so definitely not Allegheny. There are actually no national forests on or even relatively near the Chesapeake Bay, so basically as @Chr1s said, we are likely dealing with fictional geography. Alexandria itself, while an actual city in Virginia, seems mostly fictionalized for the show. The real Alexandria sits right on the Potomac River, but we've never seen a hint of it, and if that were the case they would use the river [a tributary of the Chesapeake], to travel to Oceanside. It would be both easier and much safer. From hints we've picked up over the years, based on dialogue and directions they travel to get to certain places, it seem that TWD's Alexandria is more centralized in VA.

Rick Grimes also calls the fictional King County, GA, his home.

In the next episode, depending on whether they travel north or south in the bay to get to bloodworth island, we might get a hint of where along the bay Oceanside is.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Funion The Barbarian

Funion The Barbarian Active Member

Some random thoughts:

Weren't they heading to Oceanside from Hilltop? If so, going through Waterford may not be out of the question if Hilltop were located in the piedmont area, say where Lovettsville is located.

Prince William Forest is a park owned by the National Park Service and sits about 10 miles (16K) south of Alexandria in the real world. Plenty of people in the area refer to it as a national forest, so I can understand why the characters would refer to it as a national forest.

I believe the writers use names of local places to give the viewers a sense of where the action is taking place but they mix up the locations of the places.