Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Looking back at Season 9

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by BlackBird, Apr 8, 2019.

1. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I've got another one.

Daryl smiling at Judith... (I think my heart skipped a beat)

[​IMG]

And then Judith's smug little face here, as she looks at Michonne, and she looks back at Judith, it's absolutely priceless:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

@BlackBird

You're right. If Rick were still around, we wouldn't be getting this growth from Daryl. It's been necessary to fill that void and I'm happy that a good chunk of it is filled with Daryl related storylines that show him branching out a bit, engaging more with people and taking on new roles.
    This post is a fun way to fill the days between the end of 9 and at least the beginning of Fear. Fear is not as exciting, but you never know.
    It is interesting reading people's different favorite moments and their take on the season as a whole. A lot of similarities in what we all liked and didn't like. And a few comments that made me recall things I'd forgotten. Especially from 9a. What a packed season. I hope to see the same with 10.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Active Member

1. Favourite moment.
    Michonne looking for signs of Rick in 9x14 with the song "Souvenir" playing in the background. I cried haha

2. Favourite new character.
    Connie

3. Best character arc of the season.
    I'm biased, so Michonne. But my unbiased opinion would be Daryl. They completely turned his character around.

4. Favourite episode.
    Scars

5. Greatest surprise. (Pleasant variety.)
    RJ

6. Greatest surprise. (WTF variety.)
    Rick living. I thought he was gonna die.

7. How are you coping without Rick? (How are they?)
    Pretty well. Knowing he's alive somewhere prevented me from turning to pure salt. I love Rick and I'm pleasantly surprised the show got even better after his departure

8. Funniest moment.
    Negan being a troll in the finale towards the love quadrangle

9. Saddest moment.
    Michonne devastated at killing kids and the Carol/Ezekiel divorce. The pikes were expected and less impactful, so it wasn't really sad to me.

10. Greatest badass moment.
    Connie saves the whisperer baby

11. Most annoying thing.
    Rodney and Gauge.

12. Best friendship moment.
    Daryl asking Connie to take care of Dog and Negan saving Judith

13. Best romantic moment.
    Rick knows of "another way to plan for the future" ... haha

14. Best walker kill.
    Not sure... A tie between all the walkers Rick blew up on the bridge.

15. What are you looking forward to most in S10?
    Michonne NOT dying and instead going and searching for Rick based on intel she receives about him being alive. I really hope they dont kill Michonne

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I LOVE Judith!! And I have never said that about a kid character before LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Well I do not watch GoT so for now I am watching Star Trek Discovery; American Gods. Looking forward to Good Omens and considering a re-watch of The Rain since season 2 is coming to Netflix in May. I might watch FTWD season 5, depends on my ability to overcome my anger in regard to shite show that was season 4. And A LOT of youtube stuffs - I really like the Sean Evans chat show "Hot Ones".

And as I tackle this list it is only 26-27 weeks until TWD Season 10 :D

1. Favourite moment.
    I treasured all the Rick moments. I adored the Grimes Family Fun Day. Season 9 was just chock full of favorite moments for me. Am I limited to one moment?

CONNIE.......no wait. ALPHA.......no wait. CONNIE.....no wait.
    • FAVORITE NEW PROTAGONIST: CONNIE
    • FAVORITE NEW ANTAGONIST: ALPHA
    It pains me to admit this. Like REALLY pains me! But because it benefits the show I was glad that Angela Kang was able to "fix" the Daryl problem and make that character interesting and integral to the story being told. (For those unaware I have had a rather deep disdain for Daryl Dixon since ohhhh season 7 I would guess)

4. Favourite episode.
    Again? Just one? UGH. I am such a Rick fangirl that I would have to put his departure episode (905) at the top of my top 3 list.

Just how quickly I became attached to Magna's group

Michonne killing the kids - that was some wonderfully dark twisted shite Angela Kang!!

I am doing okay. I miss him terribly but the soothing ointment for that wound is that they chose not to kill him. He will return to us by way of the movies. It also helps that the show has been given new life through the talent of Angela Kang and her fellow writers, directors, crew, actors etc.

8. Funniest moment.
    Negan: Sorry Father....Not the Father LMAO
    Dog breaking Daryl's arrow and then he gets a "bad dog"

9. Saddest moment.
    The death of Jesus :(

Episode 909 Adaptation - Michonne waiting at the opposite end of the covered bridge. Her stance alone was freakin BADASS then she goes and lobs off the dudes hand when he tries to knife her and THEN plunges her katana through him!

11. Most annoying thing.
    Carol's hair. I just cannot get on board with it.

Daryl asking Connie to take care of Dog - whatever this relationship may become I am so on board with it. Daryl needs a buddy. And if they see fit to deepen their bond beyond friendship I am a-okay with that.

Anytime Rick and Michonne had a moment together. I loved when they are having their sleepover at the Sanctuary and in the shadows she says to him "The famous Rick Grimes". Danai and Andy had such great chemistry together. They better give us a beautiful reunion for these two!

14. Best walker kill.
    Suppose I do not really have one, at least at this moment in time nothing stands out

SO MUCH!
    Alpha
    More of Magna's group
    Hopefully more of Aaron, possibly taking on a leadership role
    How they will weave a believable tale of Negan's redemption
    That the Daryl and Connie connection is explored.
    More Negan and Judith moments
    Characters that have been 2nd or 3rd tier move to the forefront e.g. Laura, Diane, Kal, Nabila
    Finding out who was on the radio
    Daryl as a father figure to Lydia

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

Connie saving the baby! Great badass moment.
    Rodney and Gage. Great choice. So dammed annoying. I wish they had piked both of them and kept the girl. Addy? I think her name was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BlackBird

Rick on his hands and knees speed-crawling after Judith was one of the sweetest moments, wasn't it?
    And lol, you're not limited to one moment. Have as many as you like. It's a long hiatus. 26-27 weeks you say?:(

Funny. You're right though.It's not just about who we love. If we must have a protagonist, (and apparently we always do) we might as well have a really good one, and they've hit jackpot with this actress who is doing something pretty spectacular with this character.

Lol. What has my baby done to earn *deep disdain*???

What are No.2 and No.3?

What were the chances? Introducing five new people and they're all super interesting and have a fascinating group identity and dynamics? Quickly befriended by the other characters? And within a couple of episodes we feel like we've known them for ages? To be honest, before the pike reveal, I've put Magna's group above many "old" characters on my "please let it not be them" list.

10. Awesome moment. Great choice.
    11. Oh, the shock of that just never wore off!
    12. Happy with anything they're gonna develop from this potential. Daryl's full of admiration for her, and she knows his heart is at the right place. It's a good start.
    13. Surely they have to make this reunion happen in the movies. We can't have the greatest love story on the show to end with RJ never knowing his father and Rick being alive and never seeing his family again. It would be the crappiest story ever told.

Great wish list for S10! Thanks for playing!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BlackBird

Michonne was my choice too. They've taken her character through dealing with grief and losing faith and trust issues, and reconnecting with her ideals. Huge journey. Daryl has been finally *written for* after a ridiculously long period. THANK YOU, ANGELA KANG! For four seasons his story was mostly about spiralling into deeper and deeper depression. The number of times we were made to believe he had hit rock bottom only to be topped a few episodes on. It was just relentless. Finally, he's getting a bit of a break.

How amazing was that? She would risk her cover, her life for that baby? There is a back story there, that was hinted at when she was talking to Kelly at the fair. We'll find out in the next season I'm sure.

APOCALYPSE TEENAGERS!!! God help us. You'd think they'd know better. Nah.

Thank you for playing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

:( yes :( of course that is guessing that the premier date will be either October 20th or 27th

Of all the Jane Eyre's that have ever been - Samantha Morton's Jane Eyre has always been my favorite! I was in fan-girl mode the moment I found out she would be our Alpha. And as expected she has hit a grand slam with the character

Wellllllll my reasons could be its own thread. It does not help matters that I am not a fan of Norman Reedus. Once upon a time I was. But as the seasons have ticked by he has become that celebrity that just grates on my last damn nerve. His "I'm so embarrassed aww shucks" shtick has been overplayed among other grievances - sorry! BUT I am glad the AK has redeemed the character. I am more than happy to put my petty dislikes aside for the better of the show ;)

Hmmmm okay number 2A has a 2B because I simply cannot choose between the two. They go hand in hand:
    911 Bounty and 912 Guardians - because Alpha / Samantha Morton! And then lo and behold we find out just how badass Connie is!
    #3 915 The Calm Before - Such a great episode. It had everything - hope, joy, fun, reunions, fear, anger, sadness, loss. It was beautifully crafted.

10. BlackBird

@Dnae

I totally get how it's difficult to like a character if we are not keen on the actor. I think we need to like them at least a little bit to give the character a fighting chance.

Daryl has been my favourite male character from S2 onwards, so I'm sticking with him through thick and thin. (And there was a lot of thin before Angela took over.) I like Norman Reedus, and I love what he's done with the character, all the none-verbal parts he has contributed, and god knows he had to, with the ridiculously limited dialogue he was given over the past few years. As far as Norman is concerned, I appreciate it's exhausting to be asked the same questions in interviews over and over and over for so many years. Most actors in such circumstances begin to become their own caricatures.

Samantha Morton is a huge discovery for me. I must check out her Jane Eyre, thanks for the recommendation!

#30 BlackBird, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  11. DocCovington

DocCovington Member

1. Favourite moment.

There were so many, this was just an overall great season. Probably the first sequence where they all enter the museum to get stuff to start building for the future.

I like Luke a lot (as mentioned above, musical education is sadly underrated these days, just listen to all the crap on the charts), but I have to go with Connie. Just love that character and am looking forward to seeing more of her. Also smell something coming up for her and Daryl.

I love what they did with Negan, Henry, Carol, Jerry, Anne/Jadis, the new group. Can't pick just one, sorry.

4. Favourite episode.

Hard too say, there were too many great ones this year, after the time jump! Finally some good writing. I'll probably go with the finale for all the snow and cold that we had to wait for for nine frikkin' years. ;)

The Highwaymen turning out to be good-hearted and reliable people. Felt sad to see them vanish so quickly and in such a gruesome way.

Never thought they'd kill off so many beloved characters at once. Otherwise I would have voted for the Whisperers turning out to be humans (I don't read the comic books nor spoilers, so it did surprise me, and not in a pleasant way).

I couldn't care less. I love Lincoln, but his character was annoying me most of the time for the past couple of years. His constant switching between a psycho and a peace lover was making me sick. I did feel sad to see Andrew Lincoln go, though, as he is a wonderful actor and cool guy (as seen in interviews), but the character of Rick was a mixed bag for me, so now that he is gone, everything seems to have become more balanced in regard of character behavior.

8. Funniest moment.

Jerry grooving along in front of the movie theater, while everyone else was merely tapping their feet. Especially the "Hey, sis!" bit with Carol and her blank stare in reaction to that. I had to rewind and watch this sequence several times.:D

9. Saddest moment.

Enid, Tara, Henry - I was in total shock when they showed their heads on pikes. :eek: Tara was with us for so long, and Enid had such wonderful story arcs. So did Henry this season. Made me all terribly sad (after the feeling of wanting to throw up had passed).

Negan realizing he does have nowhere to go, then turning himself back in. I saw it coming, but still, it was a rare moment of me feeling for him and respecting him for his courage of being honest with himself for a change.

11. Most annoying thing.

Another evil adversary... yawn.

All the Carol and Daryl scenes, as always.

This show doesn't allow appreciation of romance, for its dark and violent nature. Usually I'm a sucker for romantic moments, but this show never does it for me in that department. Sorry.

14. Best walker kill.

All the ones that had comic relief to them, as walker kills per se have become utterly boring to watch over the years. The one mentioned in an earlier post involving Luke was definitely one of those enjoyable ones. I liked the scenes of watching the new group contributing in fights and showing how capable they are, even when they have to improvise for a lack of weaponry.

I have stopped having expectations about TWD, which is good, because this way you can get positively surprised - which this season has definitely accomplished for me over and over again. :)

#31 DocCovington, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BlackBird

I get what you're saying about Rick's character pulled from one end of the spectrum to the other on how peacefully he wanted to do things, but I always felt it always made perfect sense how he was, in reflection of what he and his group he had just been through. He is very reflective, and he's also a richly layered character, with huge inner conflicts at times to keep his darker side at bay. Rick is a good and decent person overall, but being good and decent doesn't always come naturally to him. Sometimes he really had to work hard to be good and decent, and there were times when he didn't even wanna try. Like in S5 when he was ready to take over Alexandria, coveted someone's wife... But that's why he's such a fascinating character, because he's flawed and he knows he is, and his struggles were so human and raw and intimately portrayed. But, as he was the central character for 8+ years, we have probably learnt everything we possibly could about him, and it was time to let the focus shift to others. For that reason, I'm ok with him gone. (But of course I can't wait to see him again in the movies!!)

Oh, I get the "here we go again", I do. But Alpha? This villain is so fresh and intriguing, and the setup with her daughter now practically adopted by Daryl, this is something very new. If we must have an evil adversary (and we kind of do at this point in the story, because nothing unites people more effectively) Alpha is a real treat.

I would agree with that. It's not their forte. I think the closest they've gotten to do romance well, was with Bob and Sasha. I try not to have high hopes for Daryl and Connie, but who am I kidding?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Thanks Blackbird, for putting this thread together... Yes, Season 9 was a good one. What a shame seasons 7 and 8 were so poor (during which time TWD went from being a "You really MUST watch this show!" to something rather embarrassing tbh). Anyway, we move on...
    I haven't got time to analyse Season 9 in depth to answer all of the questions you've posed just now - but I may have in the future as I've just retired from teaching over here in the UK after nearly 30 years:D Will still need some sort of a job but not one that takes up to 70 hours a week of my life, I hope.
    In a nutshell, I didn't think the Show would survive without Rick - but it has. Saddest moment for me was the loss of Tara - otoh Magna's group have indeed been great. Pleased Daryl has come properly alive again and hope they all find out that Rick is not dead (including Morgan:)). Haven't been watching Fear after the last series so hope Morgan is still "alive" in TWD universe?
    At some point in the next week or so, I intend to begin from "Days Gone Bye" once more (3rd time for me). Hopefully then be ready for Season 10 by October.
    Finally, I'd like to say that I still consider TWD to be one of the best series of all time on TV - and I've been around a while as you'll have gathered from some of my earlier comments.
    Roll on October!

• Like Like x 3
  14. BlackBird

Enjoy your retirement, @Poor Mika, and good luck with finding work that is rewarding yet doesn't take your life over (fellow teacher here, also in the process of moving onto something new).

It's always so nice to hear from people whose love for the show has been rekindled by Season 9. If on a rewatch you feel like doing a more detailed reflection, that would be awesome. Enjoy your summer! :)

• Like Like x 2