Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by purriwinkle, Aug 4, 2022.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

For those of us who enjoy fantasy, we’re getting another prequel. On September 2nd, premiering on Prime will be the Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power. It will cover the 2nd age of Middle Earth, and the forging of, as the title tells us, those rings given to the Elves, Dwarfs and the Sons of men.

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
    J.R.R. Tolkien's epigraph to The Lord of the Rings

It’s been awhile but it looks well done, promising lots of action for those who love Tolkien’s works.

2. purriwinkle

This was the official trailer dropped at Comic Con

3. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

This one feels risky after the epic nature of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Even the Hobbit films after it were a bit underwhelming. I still enjoyed those movies, but they never quite reached the same height as Lord of the Rings. I'll check it out, but I'm a little skeptical of this one.

Prime recently did season 1 of the Wheel of Time and it was incredibly boring, which is sad for a fantasy series. I won't be watching the second season of that one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. purriwinkle

I agree that the Hobbit movies were underwhelming because they tried to stretch a fairly simple (although delightful) story of in my book, 287 pages, including maps, etc. into three full length features. Doesn’t really work all that well.

Jackson, did an admiral job of adapting the trilogy, even though he had to leave a lot of material out. What he used was so beautifully woven together and visually stunning that it didn’t seem to matter.

I’ll go out on a limb and say most of what people know about the second age of Middle Earth had to be garnered from different sources. Unless you’re a hard core Tolkien fan, viewers won’t know much about it. That leaves some leeway for the script writers to gather it all together into hopefully a cohesive and entertaining story line.

Just like seeing those early Targs in House, I want to see the stories of those early elves and dwarves. How after Morgoth’s defeat, Sauron came to power, etc. I think it’s going to be visually alluring so if the writing is any good we may have a winner.

#4 purriwinkle, Aug 10, 2022 at 1:24 AM
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2022 at 8:03 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I would feel more optimistic about it if HBO or Netflix had it, but Prime concerns me.

Now, the one time they did do well was with The Expanse. That's an excellent show. But they also decided to end the story when there was still more to tell from the books. It was done due to financial reasons, and even the final season was impacted because of cost cutting.

So even if it is well written, there's the extra concern that they might not complete the story.

I'll give it a chance though.

• Like Like x 1