Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Lori Grimes

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead TV Characters' started by KPandoraStar, Jan 19, 2012.

1. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

Okay, I'm about to start some sh*t.

So far, I have no use for any of the female characters in this series. I'll address them all eventually, but I want to start off with Lori. In literature, women tend to fall into four broad archetypal characters: Mother, Angel, Crone and Whore. Internal and external conflicts force characters to break out of these archetypes, or become a combination of two or more of them. A character, male or female, who doesn't change, learn or grow is useless. So...

I hate Lori. Before we even meet her, the first mention of her has Rick telling Shane about an argument in which she says, in front of their child, "Sometimes I wonder if you care about us at all." This sets a pretty bleak expectation for her personality, but this early on it's possible to chalk it up to the kind of careless, thoughtless things that people often toss out in heated arguments. But from that point forward, Lori proves to be every bit as cruel and callous as this short anecdote paints her to be.

From the moment Rick returns to her, she smothers him with lies, if only lies of omission. We know by the end of “Guts” that Rick is the kind of man who would not only understand but forgive the affair with Shane. If we can figure that out in two hours, shouldn’t Lori, who has been married to the man for at least 8 years (how old is Carl?), know it too?

Instead of acknowledging the affair from the beginning, she immediately and icily cuts Shane out of her life, as best she can in their situation. Shane, who was a brother to her husband before the end of the world, who made impossible choices to protect her and her son, is not only cast aside like flesh-stripped bones but pissed on and burned to boot. You don’t get to dismiss a friend, especially one as close as Shane has been, without giving him a chance to explain himself. Be mad, fine, walk away and keep your distance until you cool off, but for Christ’s sake cool off.

She makes these sudden and absolute decisions at the drop of a hat, which is a necessity in this brave new world, but her decisions are never logical, always emotional. As anyone who has ever been an angry teenager screaming that they hate their parents will tell you, emotions are fleeting. Lori clearly knows this, too, because up until the moment she shuts him down she obviously cared deeply for Shane. But she takes a second while holding Rick when he returns to glare over his shoulder at Shane. What a petty, spiteful and deliberate thing to do just seconds after the tide changes.

Her treatment of Rick is no better before he returns. When she and Shane are conducting their business in the woods, she's still wearing Rick's wedding ring around her neck. To me, that means she hasn't accepted his loss emotionally. She's still tied to him. It's visible in her face when she stops to take it off that she truly feels awful about losing him, and about carrying on with his best friend. But instead of taking the time to grieve, she chucks the ring in the grass and lets Shane continue to service her. And afterward, she puts the ring back on. Married men do that when they pick up one-nighters on business trips.

Okay, I have to stop for a while. I'm pissing myself off. I'll have a lot more to say about the ladies in the future.

2. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

Not to many people care to much for Lori or Andrea here, as far as I remember, so have at it :Chainsaw:

3. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

I'm still torn on Andrea. She's at least gone through a change since the beginning of the series. Lori's just been the same old b*tchomatic since day 1.

4. EternalWreckage

EternalWreckage Active Member

I'm not too big a fan of Lori either. Andrea is way better, and I hope she continues to get better.

I don't know what they can do with Lori.

5. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

I know exactly what can happen to Lori. Go go no deviation from the comic!

6. EternalWreckage

EternalWreckage Active Member

I knew someone was gonna mention that.......and I wouldn't mind if that happened. I'd feel bad for the actress, though.

7. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

I'm beginning to warm to Andrea. And she will be okay with me if she just controls how she uses her gun and doesn't pop off her gun at one of the guys - Dale Glen Daryl again or Rick. As for Lori I'm not going there for now but how she acts and treats Rick - Bitch and whore. Enough Said.:shining:

8. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

The 'infidelity' is the least troubling element of Lori. On some level I can forgive it, because I don't know what I'd do if I lost my husband and the world went mad. I'd like to think that being satisfied below the belt wouldn't be at the forefront of my mind, or even on the radar, especially if it meant sneaking off into the woods away from my kid. But who knows? Maybe in the face of the apocalypse, the reproductive drive becomes instinctual. If she weren't still wearing his ring...

It's the lying and hiding, and her treatment of Shane that bothers me the most. Rick said the word "cruel" within the first two minutes of the first episode, and that's the word that seems to cling to her. I've done my best to rationalize her behavior, and only when I take the incident with Shane at the CDC into account can I begin to cut her some slack. Some, not much.

9. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Yah its not like we all haven't said it all, sometimes repeatedly. I still like to read it though because you know...the whole "justification" thing. Surely I am not bad if everyone hates her :Grin:

#9 Felicia, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  10. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

I too am starting to warm up to TV Andrea, but we shall see. I like that we have seen her grow. At first she was just so darn annoying, but she is coming into her own. I hope they move her more to the comic book version of Andrea while staying away from the comic book version of the Dale and Andrea relationship.

As for Lori, I really don't see how they can redeem her. She's just a post apocalyptic hot mess. I also feel that with the comments that were made by Rick at the beginning that she was already kind of messed up to begin with. Same with Shane. Thing is, and one of the things I like about the show, is that in a "normal" setting, peoples quirks, or little annoyances we seem to be able to over look. "Well, it's not that bad." We could say to our self, but in this setting, things seem to become more pronounced. Take Dale as an example. Pre-ZA he was probably a pretty cool go to kind of guy, but now his fatherly take care of everybody kind of way is getting annoying. The only one that seems to be who they were before this all started is Glen. I hope he mentions how he was flunking out of school because of all the gaming he was doing, hence why he is so good at planing. :zombies_lol:

#10 Duzy, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  11. Roman'sRevenge

I have never had and still don't have any love for Shane. So I don't feel any sympathy for him either. Both Shane and Lori share equal parts in their actions and treatment of Rick. As for the infidelity issue that is huge. Rick wasn't dead he was still alive with a heart still beating - coma - deep sleep- a lie that Lori chose to believe by Shane. A personal note I have met and been out with enough guys like Shane and worse who are manwhores or just bad really bad. That now having a guy with a lot of the qualities or the type that Rick is wouldn't ever consider doing the deed at all. I would still be in the grieving mode if I thought that he were not alive somewhere. instead of being satisfied -below the belt-.Even if the world had gone to shit.

#11 Roman'sRevenge, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  12. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Lori is pathological! Lying is as natural to her as breathing...she is a pit viper devoid of any true emotion except greed and personal lust. Lori represents the modern day woman's credo of "what have you done for me lately...and hurry up with it, 'cause I'm late for my gang bang!". I anxiously await for the episode where a walker crunches into her shoulder blade and eliminates her from the group of survivors. Personally if I was in Rick's position, next time the group encountered deeks, I would get behind her and kick her in the ass with my steel toe right into a horde of zombies. Just sayin'... :Chainsaw:

13. Roman'sRevenge

Nice to see you didn't hold back how you really feel STRINGS.

14. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

That's one thing I'll NEVER be accused of RR! LMAO...:Grin:

15. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Bravo Kpandorastar

I think you put quite eloquently how many of us are feeling.

When I first signed on here, I did a rant about Lori and funny thing was some of the excuses that were mustered up for her. I particularly loved one excuse where some one said that maybe she wasn't really into sex but was trying to please Shane (YUCK, so much for a grieving widow. Rick, being the good man that he was deserved better than that for grief over his loss). But THEN, I re-watched that sex episode and noticed her immediately struggling to rip Shane's pants off, as if she couldn't get them off fast enough while asking how much time they have. Yes I remember the first way she was described was being Cruel by Rick.

Also, I am no fan of Shane. The first impression of him is manwhore that screwed anything in a skirt then joked about it with his buddies. Having been Rick's friend for so long, did this trait about him some how escape Lori's attention? But while I am no fan of his, I found it disgusting how Lori put everything they did on him when it was a two way street. Then the mixed messages "Stay the hell away from my family!" .......later....."You're not being a friend of Carls and you are ignoring him"........"Please don't leave"........"You will not be part of your own baby's life and there is nothing you can do about it" what a head case!

16. Roman'sRevenge

I wouldn't think of you any other way STRINGS. The Lori subject I agree with you all the way.:Chainsaw:

17. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

What I don't understand in the last episode is why lead Carl down to where Shane is obviously going off on one and there are walkers in their midst? Then when Shane opens the barn, rather than telling him to get back to the farmhouse and out of harm's way she just says 'stay behind me' or words to that effect - if they did get overrun she wouldn't provide much protection. Surely she should have kept him back at the house in the first place as it was obvious something was going to kick off - even if Shane hadn't opened the barn he was still waving his gun around - or failing that sent/took him back once the first shot was fired.

In some ways I think Lori is worse than Shane - it could be argued that Shane is losing his grip with reality but Lori still seems sane and in control. She has had a few good moments (at least she admitted in the flashback that Rick wasn't the one being a jerk) but unfortunately too little, too late.

18. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

Good points! Not only is she a nasty B that grieves for her husband by screwing his best friend, she's a dimwit too.

19. ldncalling

ldncalling Member

LOL - I don't think I've heard the phrase 'dimwit' in years, too tame for Lori though.

20. KPandoraStar

KPandoraStar Member

Shane's losing his grip and Lori's still in control ... but who's making better decisions? I think I'd rather follow Shane as a lunatic than Lori on her best day. And that's not saying that I like or trust Shane in any way; under the circumstances left behind by the end of the world, I trust his judgment far more than hers, if not his behavior.