Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Lori Grimes

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead TV Characters' started by KPandoraStar, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Greyone

Greyone Member

Your last post makes a LOT of sense. I reread your previous posts and up until the last one you were not clear. You read as a person making value judgements of the characters- "good" and "bad"- based upon your vantage as a television viewer rather than assessing them as a viewer on the ground (which would change the perspective greatly).

I stated many posts ago that Daryl perhaps more filled the "protector" role many seemed to be looking for though he possesses nothing in terms of leadership skills. He IS a stalwart companion, seems to have a clarity of mind and focus, and is unencumbered by emotions and relationships. I would look to him to follow the scenario I have laid out in other posts: killing Lori and, if necessary, Shane.

However, I rather doubt at this point that men always looking apprehensive, angry, or "disturbed" would arouse suspicion- there is much to be apprehensive, angry and disturbed about. Now, if someone were smiling, going about their day whistling a happy tune, then i might be a little alarmed.

Having witnessed some things in war zones and after disaster the behavior Shane exhibits that some find worrying don't seem unnatural given the circumstances. In fact, it might be more disturbing that another was taking such notice of and questioning these things given the trauma we've all witnessed firsthand. That might lead to an unwanted confrontation and violence. Remember, only 14 people are left alive and you would have all witnessed the same horrific acts. It would be very doubtful that a person would be the collected individual you describe unless that person has dealt often with crisis and extreme stress. On the farm there are no such people save Shane and Rick- whose experience, pre-ZA, was limited. Rick also lacks the experience of having dealt with the madness of the world during the initial onset of the ZA. It is not known whether this is a good or bad thing but so far it seems he does not have the necessary hard edge to survive long.

Side note: as to the noise issue- was it ever determined by the survivors that noise draws zombies? I see a lot of people making the case that the barn scene was reckless because of the noise but I see no evidence to suggest that the farm is some place of silence. Indeed, in the deep quiet of the post ZA world, any manmade noise would be a beacon to the zombies. Yet they target practice, drive vehicles, light fires they then stand around at night, etc...

2. Zambi

Zambi Active Member

I wouldn't expect them to be whistling dixie either. But this particular man is really really angry. He looks like he is about to explode.
    It all depends on your approach. You most certainly do not tell them "Hey I am watching you", that would be stupid, especially if it turns out that it is some one losing their mind. Shane is not the type of person you'd approach in a confrontational manner. He is the type you'd approach by letting him know that you heard his ideas and concerns in spite of the quick dismissal of them, but that you are interested in what he has to say about them. Shane appears to be the kind of person that would welcome the opportunity of you allowing him to use you as the venting post to vent his frustrations too. During that, you can feel him out a bit, and see if there is a concern of insanity. If you aren't finding that, then it might be a great opportunity to help him come up with smart ways of seeing some of his ideas to fruition. For instance, the barn incident....it may shock you that I say this, but Shane was right about that.....the timing however, was wrong and careless. So if some one got to him before Lori caused him to flip out once again, let him express how he thought it should be done, and pointed out the dangers of doing that out in the open with everyone there, and he may have noticed and agreed. Then you both come up with a better plan of dispatching them, when everyone is at a safe distance. Even the fort benning idea, he may tell you how much he thinks we should leave the barn and head out that way. But being human, he may not have thought out the potential dangers and be happy that some one else pointed it out and talked with him about it. Two heads are better than one, especially when they are both trying to come up with solutions towards the same goal rather than flat out dismissal.
    There probably are many that wouldn't. The problem is you have to be, you must be. Some one must be. Some one has to be alert, astute, and observant at all times if there is going to be any chance of long term survival. It's not easy, it is very hard for the reasons you point out. But it will keep them alive, and it will weed out anyone starting to fly over the cookoos nest faster than they'd be able to cause any kind of danger.
    Yes, the issue has come up on many occasions that very loud gun fire attracts the dead. This is why as the rule of thumb, the men have made more attempts of dispatching the dead by means other than gun firing. It is also what caused an even bigger horde at the entrance of the department store.
    Exactly! Man made noise of all sorts, as well as fire light is known to attract them. This is why Shane was mad about Ed Peletier adding more logs to the fire. But damn, they sure made an awful lot of rukus while eating fish by the camp fire. No wonder they got ambushed like that. They were probably so noisy they couldn't even hear if the trip wire was sounding off.

3. ResidentEvil Outbrek

you are so right things like this could happen and a person's behavior could change in a situation like this and it doesn't mean they are a bad person, it's just the stress of what has happened it's very traumatic, one day everything is normal the next there are bodies laying everywhere , whilst the military's shooting normal people as well as zombies, that's gotta do something to a person's mind, and the smell of dead bodies in the air. All the more I think the writer could stress on Zombie Survival not so much Shane and Lori, just keep everyone alive but just make interesting zombie kills.

4. ResidentEvil Outbrek

The barn wasn't that much of a danger to everyone, everyone had guns to protect themselves and everyone was standing there ready it's not like he opened it up and no one knew about it, every one knew about this situation and was prepared to shoot. Hershel which no one mentions that much was a lunatic to endanger the whole group by bringing these things in. For one the barn door did not look that stable, the wood look almost worn to the point whereas the planks could snap, they could have broken out during the night and that's not cool, then it would be a danger because Hersehl was gathering more and more, who knows when they could have mustered the strength to get out of there. and Attack their camp. I think what Shane did was very sane, he
    1. Alerted the group of what was going to happen
    2. Asked each person if they wanted to participate, here is a weapon of choice
    3. Assessed the Logic of the whole thing and the danger it posses having walkers in the barn
    4. Whilst everyone stood there with weapons he opened it, in the daytime.

5. ResidentEvil Outbrek

Every episode the group gets weaker, everyone points the fingers at Shane acting like he's so evil, yes he killed Otis but he saved Carl, he made a mistake. Yes Lori slept with Shane but left Shane the minute she knew Rick was alive. Everyone has made mistakes that I'm sure they will live with for the rest of their lives but that's life people live and learn. If Shane didn't make that decision Carl may not have made it. If Lori didn't sleep with Shane maybe she would have slept with someone else in the group and she may not have had good protection and would have been bitten first episode.

6. Greyone

Greyone Member

REO, another thing to remember: the situation at the barn was not premeditated. It was a spur-of-the-moment act borne of pent-up exasperation at the sheer idiocy of some in the group. While they all acknowledge that zombies in the raggedy ass barn ain't a great idea here comes Rick and Herschel with..."What-the-****???? Two more of the gotdamned things!" This is madness.

Shane has had enough. Enough of sending people into the zombie infested woods looking for a girl it's a near certainty is dead. Enough thinking that "Hey, maybe we can just hang out on this farm forever and ever, amen". Enough placating anyone foolish enough to believe these things possess an ounce of humanity. When one considers it, the very fact that Rick went with Herschel and the boy to retrieve the zombies could be construed as insanity. They have their hands filled with zombies- what if others come out of the woods? What if one slips while pulling the zombie from the swamp gets nipped? On the show, it always seems to be that while they are dealing with one situation it is impossible for another to arise (save for the campsite and the highway zombies always appear in manageble numbers) but of course this is not reality. In the real world you have all you can handle and then some more shit pops up. But Rick apparently doesn't consider this- just leads the zombie with both hands on the pole. He's a goner if eight more pop out anywhere along the way back home. Again, this may due to the writers but they are portraying Rick as an almost imbecilic protagonist.

So, Shane processes all of this and snaps- we see this everyday in all manner of professions. Someone sees enough shit and finally says "This is ****ed up, we can't continue this way." And here the stakes are higher- they mean life or death. As you stated everyone had a weapon and Shane tells them that NOW is where they make a decision. They might all die (which is what's going to happen sooner rather than later anyway at the rate they're going) or they might decide to fight to live. This challenge has been thrown to people countless times: it's far, but jump NOW; the gunfire is heavy buy we go NOW; the odds may be against us but we take a stand NOW.

The action at the barn is hopefully the catalyst these people need to start thinking like fighters, not merely survivors. Because life is something they're going to have to fight for.

7. marsyao

marsyao Member

Yes, knowing Lori pregnant pushed Shane over the edge, so he decided to clear the barn by force, but other did not necessary side with them, and thing could still be defused, but seeing the pathetic scene of Rick and Hershel herding these 2 walkers really push other over the edge too, at least Andrea, T-dog and Daryl immediately sided with Shane.

8. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Now there is a plot line I wish we could have explored.

9. ResidentEvil Outbrek

yea that was kind of different to see them being herded in as if it were normal to keep a zombie and feed it.

10. ResidentEvil Outbrek

yea me too because Shane is such a good hand in the group, and makes the series very interesting as well as Rick but I feel that both complete each other.

11. ResidentEvil Outbrek

Indeed this is exactly how I feel about this, Shane completes Rick and Rick completes Shane, they are family, they are brothers and if the story plot would have been written different for him, I think him and Rick would have each others back and if they die they die like the two cops with marks on them, they die together fighting this world of zombies, that is the way it should have been, like Lord of the Rings battle, fight zombies to the death, not each other.

12. clone

clone Member

#272 clone, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  13. clone

clone Member

14. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

I love the third one, awesome! lol

15. Zansurai

Zansurai Member

16. Zansurai

Zansurai Member

17. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

18. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

Yes but I think the Randall thing was the breaking point.
    From his point of view and mine too its absolutly CRAZY to let Randall go.
    As we later know, he know where his people are. Only 5 miles from the farm.

So Randall would try to go back to his men and then they would attack the farm!
    Shane even told with Andrea about it, he says that because of this they are all gonna get killed.
    And he better had left with her when he still had the chance.

I would think too that Rick is stupid, he brings Zombies to the farm(!!!), he dont want to kill the prisoner but want to release him even when he know that Randall know where the farm is.

When Shane and Rick leave with Randall and get to know that he knows where the farm is, Shane want to do the right thing for survival, to kill Randall.
    But then Rick interfere because of his pointless moral settings.
    Shane says only his opinion that he dont think Rick can protect Carl and Lori.
    But Rick goes berserk and attack Shane, Shane just push him back and go back to Randall but no Rick cant let go and attack Shane AGAIN. And Shane should not be pissed about that?!?!

I hate it that english is not my native tongue because I cant write exactly as I think -.-"

19. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

[​IMG]

Nooo it was not serious...LOL

20. theNextmrsGrimes

theNextmrsGrimes Active Member

Start away!!

I really wanted Rick and Lori to kiss and make-up at the beginning of season 3. What I noticed was such a different change in Rick; think of the first night at the CDC, when he gets into bed with Lori. He sees that she is crying, (thinking its due to the ZA, not the almost rape from Shane) he comforts her and falls asleep with his arm around her. IMO, that was Rick at his best.

Then little questions popped up - why did she not tell Rick about the almost rape - because she knew Rick would either hurt Shane or kick him out of the group, and she still wanted him around. There were many times when Rick needed comforting, but she offered none. Cold as ice. When he was preparing the noose in the barn she could have sat down next to him and said that she supports him, she loves him, etc.... but all he got was a "if you think its best"....then, when Rick tells her he killed Shane, you could tell her response that she wanted to be with Shane rather than Rick. In interviews SWC and AL said that in one take, which AMC did not use, she spat in his face.

Beginning of season 3 - you could tell how much Rick still cared for her, even though he was a jerk and did everything he could to avoid her - when she walked into the house he didn't look at her, at the campfire - "I'm still here.....doing THANGS"...when Carol asked Hershel to come into the room he asked if everything was okay, but made no effort to go and see for himself. When they were going to scope out the rest of the prison they had a long glance (she was standing on the platform), but said nothing. And the "there there" touch on the shoulder before walking away. IMO, the worse of Rick. You can only hold a grudge for so long....then you have to get over it.

Along comes episode 304. His reaction was heartbreaking. And the scenes since - the phone call, crying when Carol said "I'm sorry", and him beating up on the walker showed that he did, in fact, care about her and love her. She was a bad mom, and a worse wife. Following the timeline its MAYBE 2 weeks since Rick's "death" that she starts banging Shane. I've said it before - most moms would put their child first at that point, and look for a shoulder to cry on. Not our Lori. She was banging Shane in the same tent where her fatherless child was sleeping, just feet away. That's why she told Rick "he won't wake up".

I love TWD because it shows that each character has flaws.