Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Madison Clark

Discussion in 'Fear The Walking Dead Season 1' started by Zed Sanford, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

I can't stand her already. It seems to me she's channeling the worst parts of Andrea and Lori. She enters her son's hospital room and basically tells the cops to f*ck off without having a clue what their conversation is about. I would hope that there wouldn't be any high school teacher, administrator, or guidance counselor of all things that has this kind of attitude. Her son is a heroin addict, and for all she knew, he was giving up information on his dealer. When she's dealing with Tobias though, she tells him that he should trust the authorities.

And then what high school guidance counselors perform searches at metal detectors? Admittedly, I don't have any experience with schools with metal detectors, but I'd have to think that guidance counselors wouldn't be allowed to do searches, especially really crappy searches in front of a principal/administrator that just watches.

I hope we're not going to see more of the "I know best" headstrong attitude and actions followed up by the "Oh, I guess I really didn't know better, but I wont learn anything from my mistakes" trend from her.

2. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Maddie seems like a lackadaisical air head enabler ... I do not like her acting. She has a very poor delivery.. She reminds me too much of Cheryl Hines, Larry David's wife on "Curb your Enthusiasm"

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Need to remember that Tobias isn't her son. Nick is. Parents often aren't as rational when dealing with their own children especially when that child has some issues.

As far as the metal detectors I am sure every school does it differently. If a faculty member was right there however when it went off most would go and at the very least question the individual.

I liked Madison's character and Kim Dickens is a great actress for character studies.

4. DietWater

DietWater Well-Known Member

Madison is probably my fav so far. I see more Andrea than Lori I'm her but she isn't really similar to either characters imo.

5. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Agree w/ you, but from experience, most high school counselors are clueless. Have the most dysfunctional families themselves .
    The daughter of my HSC was F'ing the entire football team. Her brother on my wrestling team would brag about his 'conquests', until I gave him a double hernia with a move that put his testicles near his throat.

The mom was a 'nice' person, but suggested I seek a career in gardening.

I fooled her !

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

No, she did the absolute right thing by swiftly removing the cops. In reality, the cops wouldn't be there to just bust the dealer, they would be there to also bust Nick. Its not appropriate for law enforcement to be soliciting information from someone who is just waking up from a trauma and is still confused. If I had a family member in that situation, and I walked into the ICU and found a couple of cops badgering them, I would have done the exact same thing.

7. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Loved her in the Treme. Kim Dickson's got it going on.

8. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

She's a boss! I'm going like her.

9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

She's awesome so far. I love her attitude, personally. She doesn't seem like the kind to dick around. There's fierceness and determination to her, but you can tell she's also a caring soul.

10. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I don't want to see Andera or Lori- I would really like to see someone who is original..

11. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

This Nick is a chronic offender of the big H and sooner or later he is gonna OD.. She is enabling the kid by defending, several times, his drug related actions...A good parent would let the cops haul him to jail and straighten his ass out before he's dead.. This is not the time to worry about his questioning by the police. He's playing with a killer drug that will drop him dead in a heartbeat.. and Maddie's actions are letting this continue..She has absolutely NO shot of defending her son from a heroine addiction..
    Yeah, I can see her defending is working out real well by the first chance he got he lied and broke out of the hospital to score more H..

#11 mtito914, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  12. Strife

Strife Member

Prison systems aren't rehab centres. Throwing a junkie in a cell wouldn't cure his addiction.

I like Madison's M.O personally. I think she's a strong character. The first episode was sluggish in terms of zombie kills, but it did a great job at establishing the family unit. I think Kim Dickens will prove her worth on this show, she's a great actress.

13. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Yeah I know, It worked out a lot better for her that he broke out of the hospital to score heroine.

14. Strife

Strife Member

For one, it's a television show, so drama factor. Plus how fun would a walking dead show be if one of the main characters sat in a jail cell twiddling his thumbs...

I think she handled the cops perfectly, they know soliciting info from a drugged kid straight out of a coma is wrong. That scene seemed natural to me, as it's more realistic that a mother would pull out her claws and protect her cub. Also was his intent to score when he met up with that dude in the diner? I could be wrong but I don't remember him asking for drugs, the dealer asked him if he was hungry and offered some to him on his own dime (though that was a ruse). I got the impression he wanted to vent about what happened, and was searching for some answers/solace as to what happened in the church. Everybody chalked up what he described as a hallucination of the drugs, it's not insane to think he wanted validity of his saneness, a friend to listen and believe.

15. Busted Flipflop

She kind of grew on me.

16. Neuropyramidal

The statistics regarding junkies who go to jail for a few weeks are not good. Jail would not straighten the kid out. Its not like he would go to prison for a few years. He'd be in for a few weeks or so, and during that time he'd make a few new drug connections. She's doing the right thing by pushing him towards rehab. Although the statistics with that are far from great as well. When you are dealing with an addict, there are no perfect options. And I think you're missing the point. He would have broke out of the hospital no matter what the cops decided. Even if they were going to charge him, they weren't going to hall him away immediately. He still would have stayed in the same bed for a few days, and still would have broke out.

17. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Enabler or not, I think it did work in her favor that he broke out of the hospital. The old guy in the bed next to him was dying. And Nick was tied down. Once the old guy turns, that hospital is going to go down fast. I liked Nick more than I thought I would and the sister less. But it is so early in the show and I don't like to judge on the first episode. I hated Carol at first and she became one of my favorites.

18. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

Please explain how she knew they were badgering him since the voice (Nick and the cops) were pretty casual and low volume. She walked around the corner and was instantly nasty. She had absolutely no way to know that the conversation was about a heroin dealer. In reality, it would be far more likely that the cops would be talking to him about the collision itself and the circumstances behind it. This could include the possibility that he was being chased, attacked, or fearing for his life, or the possibility that the driver that hit him was intoxicated or impaired, or any other number of possibilities.

It's also perfectly appropriate for the officers to be asking him questions as long as the doctor/hospital staff said it was ok for Nick to talk. In fact, it's the norm. The officer(s) assigned to the call would gather the information at the scene on the street. Once they were finished there, they would immediately respond to the hospital to talk to the hit pedestrian. Nick is 19 or 20, a legal adult, and was pretty coherent. As such, the mom didn't have a legal right to kick them out of the room anyway.

I'm just saying that she just jumped to conclusions without any basis and was immediately a bitch. That's hardly the character I'd expect from a guidance counselor. She could have just easily walked in and asked what was going on and then asked the officers to leave. She was more justified in being angry when she demanded to the nurse "YOU need to find him". Other than having the hospital security staff checking the hospital grounds for him, they can't exactly go out into the neighborhood and look. I'm sure she'd spent a lifetime of being fooled, tricked, and lied to by her junkie son, so you'd think she'd realize what he was capable of.

19. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

And let me clarify this, I'm not talking about the actress or her acting ability. I'm specifically talking about her character.

20. Neuropyramidal