Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Madison's group has lost the Diamond?

Discussion in 'Episode 402 - Another Day in the Diamond' started by Lindigo, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

I am back to not paying full attention, and I am full of questions.

Is Madison's group out on a scouting party, or do we think they already lost the Diamond? If they were back to square one, it seems like a bunch of the 47 would still be with them.

How big a group does the Vultures seem to be? Is it one family unit per semi or truck? That convoy does seem like a good survival strategy: big sturdy vehicles that provide protection, room for provisions, the ability to swiftly relocate, and a group so no one is stranded if someone breaks down.

Now that Nick has learned to rotate where the crops are planted, it seems like the Diamond would still be viable with all of that protected acreage?

I googled the Dell Diamond. It was built on former farmland, so maybe the soil was amended enough back then that it will still be good agricultural land?

I have to google the range and habits of the boll weevil. We don't have them.

I'm waiting for Al to interview people so I can learn what is going on.

• Like Like x 2
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Seems like you paid pretty good attention to me. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I'm also very confused.

I don't know if Alecia meets Morgan after or before the vultures show up.

At first I thought they were out scouting after the Vultures arrived, then I thought that it happened before they found the diamond. Now I'm thinking it's long after the Vultures showed up and the diamond has already fallen.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

At the beginning of the episode before they showed the diamond, it said "THEN". And at the end before it showed Morgan and co....it said "NOW". :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, that's what confused me the most.

It seemed like they met Morgan after, due to the "now" and the fact that they knew about the flags. But because we saw them meet Morgan in 401, I was thinking the diamond was the current time.

I guess I over thought it....or under thought it, one of the two.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I'm very curious as to the entire timeline, either way.

We are basically going to get three points of time covered in this half of a season. Current time after they deal with the vultures, flashback time where we see them at the diamond, and extra flash back where we find out how they regrouped after the dam and found the diamond in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

the scenes at the stadium were meant to be "before" the time when they met Morgan. And the announcer in the background says they have been there for 365 days. So if it took them a few months to find it after the events of S3 we are still only maybe 1.5 years or less into the apocalypse at that point.

My impression was that Madison and her group still hold the Diamond but that the vultures are still a threat they are trying to eliminate. Its possible they have lost it, but if so, they must gain it back almost immediately, because we see more scenes from the stadium in the official trailer, and I think at least one or two of them have Morgan and John in them, at the stadium. All the scenes from the trailer were I believe from the first 4 episodes of the season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

It's strange because of Morgan we sort of have to use twd as a base for establishing time.

According to Gimple, Morgan was at the junkyard for quite a while after the events of twd 816. Long enough to grow eggplant. Then travel to Texas. Some of that was by vehicle. Still him meeting Alecia and company must be a few months after the war with Negan ends. That took place around day 620. The last we saw the Clarks was the same day the cdc exploded. So roughly day 64, which leaves 556 days between the dam exploding and Rick beating Negan. Give a few months, give or take for Morgan to meet Alecia.

If we round everything out and say it took just over 3 months between Rick beating Negan and Morgan arriving, that is 2 years. They were at the diamond for a year but we don't know how long it took to get to the diamond and we don't know how much time passes between the vultures showing up and Alecia meeting Morgan.

Jesus this is confusing. Or I'm just dumb. Both are equally possible and not mutually exclusive.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

lol.
    For whatever reason, this cracked me up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Yeah the exact days we can't pin down, but basically just consider it that the Vultures story happened at least a year after the dam explosion, and then they meet Morgan sometime after that. Could be weeks, could be several months.

Morgan's timeline is probably at least 2 years and 2 or 3 months after the outbreak went global, if he grew those egg plants from seed [4 to 5 months].

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Ok here's a question for our resident timeline expert...where were Rick & Co. 1.5 years into the ZA so I can imagine what was going on at the same time :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Approx 1.5 years in is when Rick fought Pete.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Neuropyramidal

About 1.5 years was the end of S5 [Noah dies, Rick kills Pete, etc] and the flashback [black and white] scenes from episode 601 where Morgan and Rick discover the horde in the quarry and they make plans with Rusty Griswold from Vegas Vacation to redirect it. That was all at 1.5 years, give or take a week or two.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Thanks! :) It's fun knowing what's happening at the same time (ish).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Neuropyramidal

I think so too ;). Although my 1.5 year guess for the Stadium scenes was just a guess. It could be anywhere from about 15 months up to 2 years or so. Maybe we'll get more clues soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Yeah true but...

In a world where new supplies are limited to foraging and thus finite, how is it these groups of tough guys survive doing stupid things like leaving their vehicles parked, engine off with all the driving lights on full display?
    In a world where production of new parts is non-existent, doesn't it strike anyone as odd that killing an automotive battery is not a smart thing to do?

Even if it's just 5-10 minutes, even in my world where a new battery is available at the store, I never leave my vehicle's lights "on" and certainly not for show... Maybe age has something to do with it but the whole thing reminds me a lot of Mad Max movies.
    You know, we're out of fuel but hey lets drive inefficient V8 gasoline guzzlers.

There's more...

In a world where possible hostiles exist everywhere and an ambush could spring at you from any corner, why do these people drive at night with their headlights on?

You go to any middle eastern country and watch how they drive through the country side and I can tell you I've played a number of 'survival' games where driving with your lights off is the way to go, assuming you don't want to attract any more ambush than absolutely necessary... Let me repeat: If I were driving a vehicle in an apocalyptic world I would not use a vehicle's light system unless completely and absolutely necessary, not like oncoming traffic needs to see me.

Last but not least it's far scarier when you do accidentally drive into a group of hostiles, and it may not save your life... It most certainly won't stop any bullets from flying your way but at least you have an element of surprise on your side.

And more...

When driving vehicles make a TON of noise, especially in a world where most power has been shut off. It's not like in today's "live" cities where the overall cacophony drowns out everything so you can't hardly tell if it's an ambulance you're hearing, in a world without power it is eerily quiet and so an automobile can be heard from a long ways away.
    It kills me how they just drive right smack into the middle of a town.
    I mean if there's hostiles you can rest ASSURED they know you're there! You don't do that, instead you park outside the city someplace and walk the rest of the way so you don't announce your presence.

I would've assumed these people would know these things within weeks of living in hostile turf.

#16 8307c4, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

That's where both shows are fairly inconsistent when it comes to supplies. For sake of argument I'm going to ignore the "gas goes bad" plot hole and just focus on the availability of supplies in general.

Supplies are shown to be scarce yet that isn't true. Clothing, automotive parts, weapons, tools, and so on are in abundance.

90%+ of the population is gone. That means there is a 90% increase in supplies. Non perishable, of course. Yes these supplies are no longer being made. But say you need a drive belt for a Chevy 350. 90% of people who need one are gone. Sure there is a limited supply because they aren't being made any more, but the demand for the existing ones dropped by over 90%. So if there are say 2 in every auto parts store and there are 3 stores in every town. That's 6 belts in each town and only one or two people who need one.

Supplies should be everywhere. Some items would be horded, sure. But most supplies would be left alone. If my town lost 90% of its population, I would hit up the auto parts store and grab the things I need for my specific vehicle. I wouldn't just start grabbing random belts for no reason.

The same thing can be said about most supplies. Rick has been wearing the same jeans since the farm. You mean to tell me none of the houses and none of the stores they have looted didn't have a single pair of 34-36x32 size jeans? Shit, he could hit up the closest jc penny and get enough jeans to last 10 life times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Exactly. I figured TWD characters keep wearing the same clothes so they will look like their comics counterparts, but really they would be changing out all the time. The only person who gets new clothes is Judith, and she always looks adorable.

The head Vulture guy is wearing clown pants? Because that was what was available as he scrounged around? lol He could be wearing anything that appealed to him.

Okay, I don't actually know what his pants look like, but they were mentioned on Talking Dead as having been scavenged, so I need to pay attention next episode.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

That's my take on it too. Some things make no sense.

Clothing seems to be limited, even though there would obviously be ample supply of clothes. They seem to go out of their way to show how limited clothing is yet they accurately show how easy it is to get a vehicle, even if they ignore the real world problems such as gas going bad and batteries dying. I even think food would be easy to come by. Grocery stores would be full of enough canned and dry goods to last a small group quite a while.

I have played the "what if" game in my head for a long time and I don't see any way I would have an issue with supplies in a world where over 90% of the population was wiped out. I mean it's to the point where I don't believe there would be nearly the fighting that we see on these shows. With plenty of supplies to go around, there would really be no need to fight others for theirs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

Was this explicit? How did we get to this conclusion? I feel like I missed something!