Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Maggie finds out Beth is alive and still has no in

Discussion in 'Episode 502 - Strangers' started by Walker3895, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Walker3895

Walker3895 Member

In "no sanctuary" we hear Daryl tell Maggie that Beth is still alive and was taken by a car with a white cross on it. Maggie still doesn't care enough to look for her (as long as she has Glenn shes ok?) She is even glad to be going to DC without even attempting to find her sister.

Especially after meeting a priest she didn't suspect he's the person with a cross on his car? Or at least ask father Gabriel if he knows anyone that drives a car with a cross on it?

In season 4 it was somewhat acceptable or excusable that she didn't ask about her because she was distracted by many things or could have asked people off screen, but this is crazy now. Its almost like she doesn't want to find her because she would remind her of Hershel or maybe she was a c**k block towards Maggie and Glenn.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

It is odd . She made all that effort to find Glenn. Now she knows her sister did not get killed at prison and no serious talk about looking for her?

3. Lonesome Lurker

Lonesome Lurker Active Member

I feel like she is still worried about her, but has been bombarded by so many catastrophic events at once, that she can't help but push away this growing pain of Beth's disappearance. I don't think it has anything to do with Beth being a c*ck block, since Beth would probably bump uglies with lil ol Carl.

4. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

Meh beth.

Maggie will probably do something about her later, another ep. I agree though, she was too calm ha. I also didn't think she would hug tara hearing her news either.

5. Smackledorf

Smackledorf Member

I'm sure we'll get a glimpse of her worrying tonight.

6. Fergrim

Fergrim Member

What?

And even if that's the case, a scene showing her visibly brushing it off as being too much to deal with would be pretty easy to do in like 30 seconds. It's odd to the point of eerie that she hasn't mentioned Beth on camera once since episode 4x10. Even when Daryl told her about Beth's whereabouts, they didn't discuss it, he said things and she quietly acknowledged them with a seeming lack of interest.

It's Hershel asking where's Bethy all over again, with Maggie just saying, "Not sure; ANYWAY"

#6 Fergrim, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  7. Walker3895

Walker3895 Member

Very true...if we don't see her at least worry about Beth in any way before they find Beth, I will hate maggie...and I've liked Maggie's character since she was introduced in season 2 and i'd hate to hate her.

And you are correct by saying its getting eerie...its getting to the point where i feel like she secretly hates Beth and hopes shes dead.

Assuming there is NO off screen conversations, Maggie showed no care for losing her sister, and never even attempted to find her.

8. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Well, Ty and Sasha, weren't exactly having a lot of dialogue about finding each other, either.

I'm not sure why the writers have gone this route. Some people would deal with a missing family member as a reason to live- others survive by blocking out the source of the pain. **shrug**

• Like Like x 1
  9. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I think it is different once Maggie knows from Darryl that Beth was taken by someone in car.

10. Prufrock

...and then she is celebrating in the church! Like I said, I really have no idea why the writers are going this route. I do not believe it to be an oversight, though.

11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

It's been like one day. They needed to get out of Terminus and find shelter and food. Or do people expect her to just run off in the middle of the night with no plan at all?

12. Prufrock

I was fearing a comic scene coming up, concerning Maggie, but she seems quite satisfied,that Glenn is back.

13. Fergrim

Fergrim Member

No one is saying that Maggie needs to run off searching for Beth, all we're saying is that it'd make sense if she expressed ANY concern or even a desire to not talk about it due to the loss being difficult. Or even a far off look in her eyes that Glenn questions her about.

She's just showing zero signs and it's bizarre from this viewer's standpoint.

Like during the DC speech, she might have expressed separation angst at leaving the area where her sister was last seen. Instead, she looked happy and excited.

14. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Don't hate Maggie over it. She's still a good character, it's just a really perplexing decision made by the writers for her not to show much concern. Idk why they'd do that...

No one's asking for Maggie to run away and search the world for Beth, or talk about her non-stop and obsess over finding her. It's not unreasonable to expect her to say something like "we can't waste time looking for Beth. She wouldn't want any of us to die for her. She'd want us to go to Washington, and try to cure this."

Really, it's just a simple yet very noticeable flaw that can be easily fixed with 3 seconds of dialogue.

15. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Right now I have no problems with Maggie's behavior, except for not writing Beth's name in zombie blood back in 4B.

The purpose of the church scene in Strangers was to show Abraham winning over the group to the idea of going to Washington. Maggie mentioning Beth at that moment would have detracted from that.

There is still plenty of opportunity for Maggie to mention Beth.

And honestly, I don't get the kerfuffle over what isn't said.

16. CheesyBirdMess

CheesyBirdMess Well-Known Member

Michonne has time to say she misses Hershel and Andrea, but Maggie hasn't got 5 seconds to say anything about Beth?

It really does just seem cold at this stage, and that the writers don't care. They dropped the ball here, plain and simple.

17. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I know there's still plenty of opportunity, and I'm still hopeful she'll say something eventually. I just find her indifference kind of unbelievable, you know? The longer it goes on without her saying anything, the weirder it is to me that she hasn't said anything.

When she does I'll be all cool, but for now I'm just confused.

I'm not angry over it and I doubt anyone else is actually angry either, just find it very odd that she hasn't been given a chance to even talk to Glenn about it yet.

#17 BatmansHooker, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  18. offrope

offrope Active Member

After tonight's episode, now I'm really thinking that her lack of concern about Beth is her true feelings. She's heading off to DC with Glenn, and isn't thinking about Beth at all.

19. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

She can't find Beth and not everyone talks about her their problems. Beth is gone. Only viewers have any reason to think otherwise. Daryl and Carol being an exception for episode 2 reasons

20. Fergrim

Fergrim Member

The show is meant for the viewers, though, and Maggie's last Beth mention still being 4x10, makes it so odd she'd be willing to leave the area entirely without following up with Daryl regarding where he lost her last. There's absolutely no pressing reason to leave without a whimper.

Being willing to leave shows she's given up hope entirely, and without ever cluing the viewers in to her thought process at all. Whether or not we can imagine she'd be disheartened, it's shocking to not have seen a single sign of it from her as of yet.

Edit wise I'm not sure this is a great sign for Maggie, but at least it's a very good one for Beth. Were she to be dying this season, Maggie would be written to show much more visible concern.