Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Maggie finds out Beth is alive and still has no in

Discussion in 'Episode 502 - Strangers' started by Walker3895, Oct 26, 2014.

1. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Maggie has not been featured at all yet this season. If she has a line it is so another character can get the light. She has not had hardly any lines at all and most of the few she's had is just for another character/story. For her to just blurt it out would be odd and to tack it onto something else when the episodes have not been about her at all just to appease the fans of a woman that is also not in the episodes?? I think it is acceptable, in this case, for that to be off screen conversations we take for granted happened.

2. Fergrim

Fergrim Member

Did you know that Maggie and Beth are sisters? It's not to appease fans of EK, it's to appease fans of sensible writing. Maggie isn't arbitrarily being targeted; Beth is her only living relative. Though it's hard to tell, given the past half season or so.

Things that happen off screen regarding character arcs, frankly, haven't happened at all.

The hospital is the main arc of this season and Beth is the one in danger as a result.

She's not mentioning Beth and not being showcased on purpose.

3. BarbDwyer

Yes, I know they are sisters.

4. tink

tink Well-Known Member

So with all of the great story and action we've seen so far some people can only focus on the lack of BETH and discussion about BETH and where is BETH?

This isn't the Beth show, you know.

5. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

How do you know what things happened off screen or not? think about that for a second or two..

6. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

But of course only half sisters, so Maggie can halfway legally disown her if she wants. lol :)

7. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

These threads about Maggie and Beth are getting on my nerves. lol

Beth-bah-weth-ba-beth 24/7/365

/sarc

8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

No one's trying to make it all about Beth though, Tink. We're not talking about a lack of focus on Beth, please don't get the argument twisted. It's not fair to dismiss a reasonable criticism as fanboys throwing a tantrum over their favourite character not being the focus of every episode.

Don't you find it the tiniest bit strange that Maggie would get on a bus and follow some people she hardly knows across the country, knowing that her only living relative has been kidnapped, without so much as expressing any other concern for her aside from "So she's alive?" Nor an explanation of why she might not want to face the truth?

I'm a big Maggie fan, but it's a pretty clear inconsistency. Let's not forget how hard Maggie fought to keep her sister from suicide in season 2. And now she's gone and all Maggie gets is a throwaway line in a voiceover and she jumps on a bus with a bunch of strangers on a road trip? I'm not asking for Maggie to stop everything, run off and scream and go on a suicide mission to find Beth. I just want to see a rational reaction from her. Some grief. Some hopelessness. Some anger. Some doubt in finding her. Anything, anything at all to show that she isn't just indifferent towards her last surviving family member being taken away from her.

I actually just searched the keywords "Maggie" and "Beth" on twitter, and it's definitely a very noticeable flaw even to people who aren't on fan boards. Not just an issue that's only seen by Beth fanboys. I still hope Maggie's state of mind will be addressed in the coming episodes, but really, they're leaving it a bit late now that she's on her way to DC.

9. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Maggie's a great character. Personally, I get the impression that she simply gave up on finding Beth the moment that the prison fell. And that's fine, that'd be a perfectly reasonable reaction. Beth isn't tough, it's natural to assume she's a goner.

All that I'm not happy with is that so far, this is yet to be addressed in any way.

It's not a case of the Beth police coming in to arrest anyone who doesn't talk about her.

10. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I don't find it that weird. Maggie did ask about Beth when they were in the train car. After that, even though it's been 3 weeks for us, it's only been overnight for them, and they've had a lot of stuff happening so there wasn't really time to focus on that. Plus the fact Maggie has had like 5 lines of dialog for the whole season so far.

The only thing slightly weird is her running off to Washington with the new group, but that's as weird for leaving Beth as it is for leaving their family group.

And to me, Beth is pretty much going to get her own standalone episode this season, so I'm willing to wait to see how it all shakes out.

11. EvieE

EvieE Member

It is a little odd that the writers wouldn't focus a little more on Maggie's concern for Beth considering it appears this season's main story arc will center around Beth, but up until this point, Beth hasn't really contributed much to the group besides babysitting which now Tyrese has taken over. But since it's a Beth episode next week, maybe they'll show Maggie actually showing more concern.

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Where are people getting the idea that this season will mainly be about Beth or that she is the main story arc?

13. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Season 5 premiere actually... Don't ignore that. Maggie doesn't talk about what she's lost. It's consistent with how she acts with her other losses. She was taken and is in a totally unknown area? She's dead. As far as they know.

14. BarbDwyer

Maggie has this loss of her entire family a few months ago and has a truly horrific and traumatic three days.

Not speaking about any of it might be the most realistic response of all.

Everyone handles things differently. Even if I did not assume things happened off screen I do not have to stretch to believe it is all happening internally for Maggie. I see Maggie's reaction as totally believable based on my life experiences and how I and other people I know handle death, loss, and tragedy and that is in the real world not the horror filled world they live in. I also get following your husband over your sibling (like after the prison). I just buy it because I think I'd do the same thing.

Interesting how we all come at it from our own personal perspectives.

15. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Why do I get the impression Beth is only popular because of "Bethyl?" Am I wrong here?
    No one seemed to give a rats ass about her before the episodes of her and Daryl together.
    I've never hated the character but if she is only popular because of a "ship" then what's the point?

16. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Beth actually became popular here a little before the Bethyl shipping kicked into high gear. The Beth thread has more posts than any other character. Just behind that thread is the Beth and Daryl Romance thread. For a time both threads benefited from some high-spirited posts about fapping and squishing. Eventually, the Beth Cave thread was created for such posts, and it now has more posts than its two predecessors combined.

I would say I'm a fan of the character and the way the actress is portraying her. Emily Kinney has an understated approach to her character which i appreciate. I find all the shipping to be at best amusing, and at worst no-so-amusing.

17. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I wanted to respond to this thread last night, but I got locked out of the forum again and now it seems a bit like beating a dead horse. However...

I totally agree with the above and what [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION] has been saying on the subject. I'm not even a big Beth fan (though I hope that'll change next episode), and I don't think that all the characters have to be mentioning her constantly to prove that they are concerned for her. I didn't have a problem with Maggie's behaviour until thse past two episodes.

Even if Maggie believes that Beth is likely now dead, or lost forever because she has no way of finding her, it would still be a very difficult thing to walk away from one's own sister if there's any shred of hope that she may still be alive, no matter how much sense it makes logically to stick with the group and leave the area. At the very least, I think we should have seen Maggie internally struggling with the decision. No dialogue would have been needed -- I realize there are a lot of characters now, and a lot of action, and it must be difficult to pack everything the writers want into an episode. But for example, we knew that Carol was struggling with the terrible things she's done because of the look on her face as she sat with the group in the church. Similarily, we saw Tara struggling with her own guilty conscience as she looked at Maggie. Why couldn't we have seen Maggie looking wistfully at Tyreese and Sasha, for example, to indicate she's struggling with feelings about her own sibling?

18. ravgrel

ravgrel Member

"they don’t know for sure where beth is. the only evidence she has is when they’re in train car and talking about the car with the white cross on it that daryl saw. maggie isn’t around when carol and daryl see the car with the cross; as far as they know, there’s no proof beth is still alive. the audience knows she’s still alive because we saw the comic-con trailer."

GREG NICOTERO ON WHY
    MAGGIE WOULD AGREE TO LEAVE WITH ABRAHAM SO QUICKLY CONSIDERING BETH IS STILL OUT THERE ALIVE. [X] (VIATRUTHINOURHEARTS)

19. ravgrel

ravgrel Member

I will not even question Maggie's love for Beth, but it's Season 5 now, and Beth is ready for a major character development.
    The spotlight is on Beth, she's stepping away from Maggie's shadow, that's why they have Carol and Daryl chased that white cross car.

Just last night, Sasha was able to show a different side of her.
    It's time for Beth to show her fierce side, what is she capable of to survive on her own?

20. Walker3895

Walker3895 Member

This is 100% accurate...i am the biggest (yeh i said it [MENTION=8978]Cheria[/MENTION]) fan of Beth and i am not complaining about the lack of mentioning of her because of that, im just stating the maggie could have had at least one scene of concern for her sister.