Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Maggie lost her accent!!!

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by 8307c4, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

I don't know who else noticed but back in the days on Hershel's Farm she had the most southern drawl imaginable, I mean that's awl she deed was tawlk sawthern... Then on tonight's show in the tunnel she totally broke out in British!

2. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Not really. The accent does vary though. Sometimes it's 117% godawful. Sometimes it's bad. Tonight it was just bad.

3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

[MENTION=8873]TGO[/MENTION] and I have had a long running theory that Beth actually split personality disorder. She would break out into an alternate personality called "Regina," who was a lot more fierce and bloodthirsty and the good, Christian Beth Greene.

I suppose now that Beth is dead, perhaps the writers felt the need to carry this storyline on to Maggie. Perhaps multiple personality disorder is genetic in the Greene family. Maggie has a British alternate personality named Phyllis.

4. DGribble19

DGribble19 Member

I almost posted this in the live thread. Her accent was all over the place when she started yelling, it was like Southern+British+Down Syndrome. "I'm pwegment"

5. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Ok I'll go along with that.

Indeed, I still remember seeing her for the first time on Talking Dead way back second or third season and I was totally surprised that she spoke with a complete British accent because it was not at all what I had gotten used to... Until just now I had total respect for her, that she could simply talk another accent just like that... But tonight's episode, I was like whoa!

Lauren Cohan, who plays Maggie, is a British actress.
    I totally understand why she'd break out in British, that's her native tongue.
    The American southern drawl is something she has to practice and put on just for the show...
    It surprised me she would suddenly drop her movie persona on the screen.

#5 8307c4, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  6. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Actually, her native accent is American. She was born in America and moved the UK at like, 13 or something.

7. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I'll tell ya what Maggie didn't lose.... Her amazing ability to get inside of my head and make see her naked with me for anywhere from two to four minutes every Sunday night. I think it's an ability that she's unaware of, but I'm down with it. lolz

8. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

This scene is just further proof that Lauren Cohan is a shit actress. I feel like they don't even tell her to act, they just let her do whatever because she's Maggie and they need her for adapting the comic material. Why cast such a big role to an obviously mediocre actress? "Let's see, we're casting Maggie for season 2, a character that has a huge part in the comics and becomes the only surviving member of her family and is as important as Michonne and Andrea and- ooh, she's hot. Cast her. Wow, this job was easy."

9. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Pretty sure they told her to exaggerate the southern accent on the farm. She even looks less southern now with the way she walks, stands and speaks, and her hair looks less southern too.

10. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

I noticed this tonight too.

I recently went back and started watching the series over from the beginning. I'm up to the point where Shane lets all of the walkers out of the barn in season 2 right now, and I've noticed how different Maggie's accent is in the early seasons. It varies quite a bit throughout the season. When Rick and company first arrive on the farm, her accent is really heavy. Not so much in later episodes.

11. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I thought Lauren was good as Maggie in season 2, but acting has been off from season 4 and beyond.

12. Busted Flipflop

You know, its reached a point where I've forgotten they're in Georgia. It seems like they all hail from Hollywood, California, with that typical actor delivery in the typical California hipster accent that has spread like a virus throughout north America. But I digress.

It would be more realistic if some more characters spoke in a traditional Georgian accent. Aside from Rick, Maggie, and the Gov who delivered their lines in a southern accent (and are all British), everyone else sounds like they're from California. Its not too much to ask actors nowadays to give their delivery a little bit of realism.

13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I liked Maggie early in the series, but ever since they waited too long to explain her reaction to her sister being missing I've disconnected from the character. I did the same thing with Tyreese and at this point I'm just waiting for them to kill her off.

Personally I believe Lauren is "good enough" of an actress to pull the part off, but the material they've given her the past couple of seasons has been poor. Would hate to see her fulfill her full comic role. That should go to someone else at this stage.

14. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Lauren Cohan is an American actress, her heritage is American and Scottish, one nationality for each parent. She moved to London at fourteen years of age and lived there for four years before returning to the United States. I have said this countless times to people on these forums and it really is tiresome having to repeat myself simply because someone is too lazy to use one of their primary senses and to research the actress.

Cohan's 'British' accent is her tryhard attempt at sounding unique and it slips up every two or three words. Anyone with the remote capability of using the ears given to them at birth can pick this up a mile away.

I really do not understand how this seems to be a common misconception in the slightest, she is 100% American and her accent on the show is absolutely godawful at times despite being an American herself.

As for her acting, I think she is severely hit or miss. She has the potential to be quite talented as her ability to convey human emotion when she truly puts the effort in is quite impressive, particularly in 302 and occasionally in S4B. However, her line delivery is atrocious and her silly little fake accent plays a large part in that. Her little monologue this week was completely ruined by her her ridiculous delivery and the same can be said for Alexandra Breckenbridge who took 9 dramatic pauses in the middle of her lines during a 30 second period.

Unfortunately, Cohan seems to continually switch between putting effort into her performance depending on the scripts. Her weakest moments all seem to have been in S3B or S5A.

#14 TGO, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  15. Scarecrow666

Scarecrow666 Member

One of the best posts i've seen ever on this forum

16. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Lauren Cohan is not British, please read the post below;

17. drifter77

drifter77 Member

Well, they're actually in suburban Virginia now (in the show's universe). Accents in that part of the country are fairly neutral, outside of the mountains. But yeah, I'd expect the southerners to have a bit more of an accent. But honestly, I'd rather them speak with no accent rather than a bad southern accent.

18. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that she's "shit", I think she's just a mixed bag. On the one hand, her line delivery is atrocious and some of her scenes in S2B, S3B and S5A are ripe with overacting. On the other, some of her strong points display quite a lot of potential for her in future projects.

The main problem I see with Cohan is that she doesn't seem like she is striving to improve, unlike Andy Lincoln and Steven Yeun. She's just gliding through her career on her looks and the fact that she isn't completely without talent.

If you ask me, the only Greene family cast member who truly owned their role in the show was Scott Wilson.

19. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Member

I think Maggie is a great actress, and her English accent coming through every now and again is forgivable for me at least.

20. MaccDuff

MaccDuff Member

Maybe so, but when Lauren Cohen speaks normally - like when she was on Talking Dead - she has a definite British accent.

I don't understand TWD's fetish for Brits. Rick (who talks in perpetual growl to help hide his accent). The Governor. Morgan!?

Course all TV seems to have this fetish. More foreigners taking American jobs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.